Killing Us Softly 4: Advertising's Image of Women [Trailer] - Available on DVD
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 12, 2010
Correction: This video contains the image of Giselle Bundchen incorrectly identified as Ana Carolina Reston. An updated video is available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWKXit...
In this new, highly anticipated update of her pioneering Killing Us Softly series, the first in more than a decade, Jean Kilbourne takes a fresh look at how advertising traffics in distorted and destructive ideals of femininity. The film marshals a range of new print and television advertisements to lay bare a stunning pattern of damaging gender stereotypes -- images and messages that too often reinforce unrealistic, and unhealthy, perceptions of beauty, perfection, and sexuality. By bringing Kilbourne's groundbreaking analysis up to date, Killing Us Softly 4 stands to challenge a new generation of students to take advertising seriously, and to think critically about popular culture and its relationship to sexism, eating disorders, and gender violence.
Jean Kilbourne, Ed.D. is internationally recognized for her groundbreaking work on the image of women in advertising and for her critical studies of alcohol and tobacco advertising. In the late 1960s she began her exploration of the connection between advertising and several public health issues, including violence against women, eating disorders, and addiction, and launched a movement to promote media literacy as a way to prevent these problems. A radical and original idea at the time, this approach is now mainstream and an integral part of most prevention programs. Her films, lectures and television appearances have been seen by millions of people throughout the world. Kilbourne was named by The New York Times Magazine as one of the three most popular speakers on college campuses. She is the creator of the renowned Killing Us Softly: Advertising's Image of Women film series and the author of the award-winning book Can't Buy My Love: How Advertising Changes the Way We Think and Feel and co-author of So Sexy So Soon: The New Sexualized Childhood and What Parents Can Do to Protect Their Kids.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:37 The Photoshop Effectby diethealthFeatured 13,707,935
- 8:35 Killing Us Softly 4 part 2by Manoj Ghimire 18,729 views
- 2:34 Celebrity photoshop before and afterby animal1840 1,180,633 views
- 4:11 LOOK AT YOURSELF AFTER WATCHING THIS.mp4by harrish0789 36,947,595 views
- 2:25 Before And After Photoshopped Celebsby rishian222 6,127,175 views
- 4:30 Photoshop: The Perfect Lieby ThisIsRedVideo 242,631 views
- 3:35 What Disney Princesses teach girlsby tqrecords 1,410,531 views
- 9:12 Gender Stereotypes in Mediaby dsnook 302,958 views
- 11:27 Killing Us Softly 4 part 5by Manoj Ghimire 13,266 views
- 3:58 11 Facts about Body Imageby IrishOfCourse52 272,979 views
- 14:45 Remodelling a Figure in Photoshopby grygarness 1,824,557 views
- 6:05 Subliminal Messages Bustedby irishsolar 3,296,990 views
- 6:37 Killing Us Softly 3: Advertising's Image of Womenby visionontv 71,376 views
- 4:05 The most famous stars without makeup!by raeraemesina 1,301,964 views
- 1:27 Ugly to sexy (Extreme photoshop makeover) - NOT THE ORIGINAL - AUDIOSWAPPED VERSIONby BobbyOneil21 11,019,820 views
- 1:35 Shocking 1950s Cosmetics Adby shaggylocks 276,349 views
- 1:09 Celebrities Before And After Photoshopby CelebcatcherWeekly 1,603,322 views
- 9:31 Tim Wise: On White Privilege (Clip)by ChallengingMedia 705,866 views
- 9:41 Dr. Pratt/Larry King: Addict Plastic Surgeryby George Pratt 404,282 views
- 6:56 Psychology And Advertisingby lebenoy 196,808 views
- Loading more suggestions...