Killing Us Softly 4: Advertising's Image of Women [Trailer] - Available on DVD
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 12, 2010
Correction: This video contains the image of Giselle Bundchen incorrectly identified as Ana Carolina Reston. An updated video is available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWKXit...
In this new, highly anticipated update of her pioneering Killing Us Softly series, the first in more than a decade, Jean Kilbourne takes a fresh look at how advertising traffics in distorted and destructive ideals of femininity. The film marshals a range of new print and television advertisements to lay bare a stunning pattern of damaging gender stereotypes -- images and messages that too often reinforce unrealistic, and unhealthy, perceptions of beauty, perfection, and sexuality. By bringing Kilbourne's groundbreaking analysis up to date, Killing Us Softly 4 stands to challenge a new generation of students to take advertising seriously, and to think critically about popular culture and its relationship to sexism, eating disorders, and gender violence.
Jean Kilbourne, Ed.D. is internationally recognized for her groundbreaking work on the image of women in advertising and for her critical studies of alcohol and tobacco advertising. In the late 1960s she began her exploration of the connection between advertising and several public health issues, including violence against women, eating disorders, and addiction, and launched a movement to promote media literacy as a way to prevent these problems. A radical and original idea at the time, this approach is now mainstream and an integral part of most prevention programs. Her films, lectures and television appearances have been seen by millions of people throughout the world. Kilbourne was named by The New York Times Magazine as one of the three most popular speakers on college campuses. She is the creator of the renowned Killing Us Softly: Advertising's Image of Women film series and the author of the award-winning book Can't Buy My Love: How Advertising Changes the Way We Think and Feel and co-author of So Sexy So Soon: The New Sexualized Childhood and What Parents Can Do to Protect Their Kids.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:34 Celebrity photoshop before and afterby animal1840Featured 1,175,211
- 8:35 Killing Us Softly 4 part 2by Manoj Ghimire 18,396 views
- 11:27 Killing Us Softly 4 part 5by Manoj Ghimire 12,914 views
- 8:35 Killing Us Softly 4 part 4by Manoj Ghimire 11,938 views
- 8:52 Miss Representation Extended Trailerby Anthony M 563,234 views
- 6:05 Subliminal Messages Bustedby irishsolar 3,291,625 views
- 1:42 The 2 Hidden Faces On A Coca Cola Canby MrToxic212 8,586,989 views
- 8:35 Killing Us Softly 4 part 3by Manoj Ghimire 12,044 views
- 6:56 Psychology And Advertisingby lebenoy 196,194 views
- 3:49 Advertising - What psychological tricks do they use?by Buddha7575 225,691 views
- 7:44 Toy Ads and Learning Genderby feministfrequency 149,108 views
- 3:55 What Liquor Ads Teach Us About Guysby feministfrequency 97,664 views
- 9:41 Dr. Pratt/Larry King: Addict Plastic Surgeryby George Pratt 404,282 views
- 12:06 Truth in Advertisingby slots 943,298 views
- 5:31 The Truth ABOUT CELEBRITIESby Lalachicki 867,526 views
- 4:13 dove campaign for real beauty (male version)by Colby Jarvis 205,693 views
- 1:27 Dove ad: The Evolution of Beauty (Time-lapse)by CulturePub 886,083 views
- 9:31 Tim Wise: On White Privilege (Clip)by ChallengingMedia 705,463 views
- 7:32 Gender & Disneyby onewayt1cket 134,065 views
- 6:39 Derren Brown - Subliminal Advertisingby thaflash1988 2,190,704 views
- Loading more suggestions...