Uploaded on Jun 22, 2011
Ingredients (for 8 manju):
1 cup lima beans, ½ cup sugar, ½ ts salt, ¾ cup flour and ½ cup extra flour, 2 eggs, ¼ cup sesame seeds, ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk, 2 ts of vanilla extract
Let's make sweet filling first!
1. Soak 1 cup of lima beans in cold water overnight (for about 10-12 hours).
2. Pop the beans out of the skins with your fingers.
3. Place the beans in a heavy bottomed pot with water and bring to a boil over medium high heat for 10 minutes.
4. Lower the heat and simmer for about 35-50 minutes until the beans are very soft and spongy.
5. Mash the beans with a wooden spoon until they have the consistency and look of mashed potatoes. *tip: If you need to make a large quantity, using a food processor will be faster
6. Add ½ cup sugar, ¼ ts salt, and 1 ts vanilla extract and keep stirring for about 1 -2 minutes with a wooden spoon. The filling should get stickier. Keep stirring so the filling doesn't burn or stick to the bottom of the pot.
7. Turn the heat off and cool down.
1. Add ¾ cup flour, 1 egg, ¼ ts salt, ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk, and 1 ts vanilla extract to a mixing bowl.
2. Mix it well with a wooden spoon until smooth
Make 8 manju:
1. Divide the dough and the filling into 8 same-sized balls on a floured cutting board.
2. Flatten out each dough ball by pressing it down with the palm of your hand.
3. Place a filling ball into the center of a flattened dough ball. Wrap the dough around the filling
4. Seal the edges of the wrapped dough and form into the shape of an egg or chestnut.
5. Dip the side of egg shaped manju into water first, and then dip into sesame seeds so the seeds stick to side. For chestnut shaped manju, dip the top into water, and then dip the top into seeds.
6. Brush the sesame seeds with egg yolk.
7. Repeat for each pastry, and place the manju on a cookie pan lined with baking sheet, with the sealed part of the manju on the bottom.
8. Bake in the oven at 350°F on the middle rack for about 20 minutes.
9. If you make chestnut shaped manju, bake them a little longer for a deep, rich color.
10. Serve as dessert or snack.
Standard YouTube License