Medicine For a Ghost (trailer for the new Tam Lin album)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 11, 2012
Medicine for a Ghost (trailer for the new Tam Lin album, Spring 2013)
directed by Syrie Moskowitz
music by Tam Lin
A Moonweasel Production
Tam Lin is making another album! It's called Medicine For a Ghost, and it's our most ambitious project to date -- a lush, sweeping record about memory, loss, and healing, a carousel of stories, guitars, strings, rhymes, horns, and synths. We're so happy to have you on board with us as we set sail on this amazing voyage!
The best part of all, though, is that Medicine For a Ghost is going to be 100 percent FREE to own, download, and share. Between now and the end of this year, we will be relying on your generosity to help us make something that everyone can own, regardless of what he or she can give. That means that no matter what you feel inspired to donate -- and even if you donate nothing at all -- the album will be yours by the spring of 2013. For free. For real.
I get asked a lot, "Why make your music free? Doesn't that send a message that what you do has no value?" And the answer I always give is, "We make our music free because it has so much value." The most important things in life -- love, wisdom, coincidences -- have no price tag, and our music is no different. Making free music frees us from commercial constraints. We simply make the best art possible and take pride in letting the beauty we love be what we do.
I also get asked a lot, "Does it actually work to make a free album?" And the answer I always give is, "When people aren't forced to give, they end up giving more." This is the philosophy we used in 2011 to raise nearly $10,000 for Garden In Flames (which is still available for free download at http://tamlin.bandcamp.com/) Our model worked so well, not only because we put music in the hands of our fans, but also because we aligned that record with an important social cause, donating nearly $1,000 of what we raised to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. That experience showed us that regardless of the fears people have around money (and I'm no stranger to those fears,) the reality is that generosity works. It really does.
So in the spirit of full transparency, here's the situation: Medicine For a Ghost will cost us about $15,000 to make. In today's world, that's not a lot to spend on an album, but it certainly is a lot of money for any one person. So what we're trying to do is distribute the costs of production so widely and thinly that no one feels the burden. In other words: small donations work! No one has to do everything, but everyone can do something. Spreading the word (posting on Facebook, tweeting, etc.) is also a wonderful form of generosity. You feel good, we feel good, and together we get to do something great.
Those of us who live in New York City have obviously been through a lot this past month. Hurricane Sandy has left thousands of people without heat, power, water, and other basic necessities of life. Because of this, we have decided to align the making of Medicine for a Ghost with another type of "medicine" for those displaced from the hurricane. We will be donating a portion of the money we raise for the album to NYC-based relief efforts for people in the Rockaways and other areas hurt most by the storm.
This is how it will work:
After we reach the mark of $5,000, we'll play a benefit concert (location TBA) to raise even more money for hurricane relief.
Once we reach $10,000, we'll be giving 10 percent of all money we raise to to those hurt by the hurricane.
The healing properties of music are deep. A melody or a lyric can repair the soul's cuts and bruises -- but so can the way we make music. When we come together, build community together, send our talents and love out into the world together, we heal the fractures and rifts between us. It's a beautiful prospect. I'm very grateful to be able to make Medicine For a Ghost, for you and with you.
Love and light,
Paul and the Tam Lin family
"Tam Lin revolves around beguiling local singer-songwriter Paul Weinfield, whose soft, questing songs suggest nights at home listening to Jeff Buckley and/or falling in love....[a] mellifluous new album." Time Out New York
"...an intricate maze of Dylanesque lyrics and melodies... a singer/songwriter who is blazing his own path across the Americana/Folk landscape." Dan Harr, Music News Nashville
"...unafraid to push musical boundaries." Nancy Dunham, No Depression
Standard YouTube License
- 1:16:47 THE VERY BEST OF PETER, PAUL AND MARYby Coastwizard01192,651 views
- 1:06:48 One Republic - Native - Full Albumby Na Tascha78,703 views
- 37:15 Lorde - Pure Heroine Full Album + Download link in descriptionby Aron Wint53,838 views
- 15:54 Anais Mitchell: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concertby NPR Music97,716 views
- 6:54 Folk Alley Sessions: Anaïs Mitchell & Jefferson Hamer - "Tam Lin (Child 39)"by FolkAlleydotCom21,058 views
- 3:08 My #2/3 most unfair elimination from ANTM cycle 13 : Brittany Markertby imran khan jahangir746 views
- 53:04 Mumford & Sons - Live On Letterman (Full Show)by MumfordAndSonsVEVO2,906,579 views
- 1:57 Turkey Creek String Band - "St. Anne's Reel"by TurkeyCreekSB41,217 views
- 47:31 The Beatles - Abbey Road (FULL ALBUM - Stereo Remastered)by John Lennon521,401 views
- 37:17 Lorde - Pure Heroine full album HDby heiko goulding91,975 views
- 9:55 Talk Show 2 @ Pierogi 2000by Paul H-O1,488 views
- 4:48 "Why We Build The Wall" - Anais Mitchell - One-Takeby Dusty Wright70,960 views
- 6:08 Brittany Markert Tribute - Best Moments On ANTM 13by Yizzle175,215 views
- 3:50 The Bloomers - Earl's Chair / Frank's Reelby The Bloomers12,587 views
- 57:29 Omnia - Pagan Folk Loreby paganfolkvideos1,227,286 views
- 6:33 Star of the County Down - Tam Linby FEASTcelticband815,141 views
- 4:28 Heartbeat of Home Trailer - The Sizzle Reelby Heartbeat of Home10,042 views
- 5:48 THE TAMLIN - Irish Fiddle Lessons by Ian Walshby OnlineLessonVideos38,047 views
- 4:44 "Our Lady of the Undeground" - Anaïs Mitchell - One-Takeby Dusty Wright43,291 views
- 33:14 Beirut The Rip Tide Full Albumby jonscholz765,002 views
- Loading more suggestions...