Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman & The Decline of Racism & Violence in America
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 24, 2012
Trayvon Martin will not go gently into that good night, and the poor kid's ghost can and will haunt us, it seems, until justice is done.
His shooter, the neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman, has been arrested and charged with second-degree murder, so the wheels of the legal system, however slowly and imperfectly, are grinding forward.
But we can't shake the death of 17-year-old Trayvon. That's partly because it was senseless and avoidable. And also in part because his shooting is being ridden like Seabiscuit by everyone to benefit their respective political sides and agendas.
Figures such as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton want to use the Martin shooting to say that when it comes to race, little to nothing has changed in America over the past 20, 30, or 50 years. Gun control advocates want to say that the shooting proves that America is awash in the blood of gun violence egged on by Second Amendment fundamentalists.
But neither of those things is true.
While there's still a lot of work to be done, race relations are getting better, as is clear from the majority of black, white, Latino, and other respondents in poll after poll. Electing Barack Obama as president doesn't give us a free pass on the nation's ugly history, but it's a pretty good indicator that things aren't the way they used to be.
And gun violence in every way is way down from where it was just a few decades ago, when most states and localities started to allow more people to own and carry guns. That's true even in Florida, which liberalized its gun laws years ago, leading people to worry it would become "the Gunshine State." In fact, Florida's death rate from guns is average for the country.
I'm saddened by Trayvon Martin's death. I don't think that George Zimmerman should have pursued him and confronted him after calling the cops.
But I also think that we can only negatively compound the tragedy if we insist on making it embody trends that are actually moving in positive directions.
About 2 minutes.
Produced by Joshua Swain. Camera by Jim Epstein. Written by Nick Gillespie and Kennedy, who also hosts.
For links to supporting data, go to http://reason.com/blog/2012/04/24/tra...
And go to http://Reason.tv for downloadable versions and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube Channel to receive automatic notifications when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:08 Tracy Martin tells us Trayvon Martin was on the porch, George Zimmerman is innocent!by pokerfacetodd's channelFeatured 1,031
- 7:54 Man critically beaten as justice for Trayvon not investigated as hate crimeby oakwoodNS's channel 2,398 views
- 7:33 DEA Analyst and Cop Debate Marijuana Legalizationby CopsSayLegalizeDrugs 28,433 views
- 4:13 Gang Violence In Americaby Nesstle7 4,865 views
- 5:02 Trayvon Martin (911 Calls What Really Happened) Girlfriend Speaks Outby Chozen Anime 634,782 views
- 2:34 ABC Exclusive: New Photo Shows Zimmerman's Bloody Head Injuriesby LeakSource2012 63,339 views
- 2:30 Howard University Trayvon Martin "Am I Suspicious?" Campaign Videoby CourtScrub 345,677 views
- 2:15 NBC fires producer over edited Zimmerman 911 callby 1814dreadyhead 1,919 views
- 1:22 Man Beaten By Mob In Critical Conditionby WKRG News 5 152,554 views
- 2:30 Trayvon Martin News Shooting 911 Call - Listen to Trayvon Martin Getting Shotby Crucial Domains 735,336 views
- 0:55 Patty Mahany on Trayvon Martin caseby Todd Feinburg 1,976 views
- 4:18 Uncle Tom Larry Elder defends Murderer George Zimmermanby EXPOSING TOKEN SELLOUTS 109,417 views
- 1:04 Olbermann on Dogsby John Sexton 19,555 views
- 4:56 Hoodie At Fault For Trayvon Martin Shooting - Geraldo Riveraby The Young Turks 76,639 views
- 13:11 George Zimmerman did not apologize for killing Trayvonby SchiffReport 17,726 views
- 2:58 Witness Speaks Out In Trayvon Martin Caseby weshtv 364,166 views
- 2:45 Bill Maher: Racism, gun laws killed Trayvon Martinby CNN 27,545 views
- 34:46 Charles Murray: Why America is Coming Apart Along Class Linesby ReasonTV 22,209 views
- 2:39 Trayvon Martin: George Zimmerman's Lawyer Craig Sonner, Flees Lawrence O'Donnell Interviewby 2012newstv's channel 13,266 views
- 10:24 The Fallacy of Gun Control Lawsby National Rifle Association 2,192 views
- Loading more suggestions...