Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman & The Decline of Racism & Violence in America
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 24, 2012
Trayvon Martin will not go gently into that good night, and the poor kid's ghost can and will haunt us, it seems, until justice is done.
His shooter, the neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman, has been arrested and charged with second-degree murder, so the wheels of the legal system, however slowly and imperfectly, are grinding forward.
But we can't shake the death of 17-year-old Trayvon. That's partly because it was senseless and avoidable. And also in part because his shooting is being ridden like Seabiscuit by everyone to benefit their respective political sides and agendas.
Figures such as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton want to use the Martin shooting to say that when it comes to race, little to nothing has changed in America over the past 20, 30, or 50 years. Gun control advocates want to say that the shooting proves that America is awash in the blood of gun violence egged on by Second Amendment fundamentalists.
But neither of those things is true.
While there's still a lot of work to be done, race relations are getting better, as is clear from the majority of black, white, Latino, and other respondents in poll after poll. Electing Barack Obama as president doesn't give us a free pass on the nation's ugly history, but it's a pretty good indicator that things aren't the way they used to be.
And gun violence in every way is way down from where it was just a few decades ago, when most states and localities started to allow more people to own and carry guns. That's true even in Florida, which liberalized its gun laws years ago, leading people to worry it would become "the Gunshine State." In fact, Florida's death rate from guns is average for the country.
I'm saddened by Trayvon Martin's death. I don't think that George Zimmerman should have pursued him and confronted him after calling the cops.
But I also think that we can only negatively compound the tragedy if we insist on making it embody trends that are actually moving in positive directions.
About 2 minutes.
Produced by Joshua Swain. Camera by Jim Epstein. Written by Nick Gillespie and Kennedy, who also hosts.
For links to supporting data, go to http://reason.com/blog/2012/04/24/tra...
And go to http://Reason.tv for downloadable versions and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube Channel to receive automatic notifications when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 32:47 A compilation of violent black racism - Trayvon Martin and the Media Cover Upby randalusa35,209 views
- 3:38 One of the most racist moments live on television. smh this is crazy.by SuperVaughnlove6,093,187 views
- 34:46 Charles Murray: Why America is Coming Apart Along Class Linesby ReasonTV27,784 views
- 7:33 DEA Analyst and Cop Debate Marijuana Legalizationby CopsSayLegalizeDrugs32,815 views
- 7:54 Man critically beaten as justice for Trayvon not investigated as hate crimeby oakwoodNS3,581 views
- 5:02 Trayvon Martin (911 Calls What Really Happened) Friend Speaks Outby Chozen Prod812,717 views
- 6:31 "I Think Ron Paul Just Won Iowa!" Rachel Maddow April 23, 2012by MOXNEWSd0tC0M319,757 views
- 4:18 Uncle Tom Larry Elder defends Murderer George Zimmermanby ExposingUncleToms137,766 views
- 8:22 SUSPICIOUS (Trayvon Martin was murdered by George Zimmerman) Re-enactment Short filmby mikemcmahonx303,400 views
- 30:06 Trayvon Martin Real Racism and the ZioMediaby David Duke89,251 views
- 9:40 Racist Sororities at the University of Alabamaby VICE1,167,257 views
- 1:22 Man Beaten By Mob In Critical Conditionby WKRGNews159,625 views
- 4:28 Racist Tried To Incite A Riot At Trayvon Martin Protestby TheAdviseShowTV20,312 views
- 0:55 Patty Mahany on Trayvon Martin caseby Todd Feinburg2,349 views
- 4:39 Black Panthers offer bounty for Zimmermanby theweeklystash395,581 views
- 8:04 Guns, Laws, and Panics: How Fear, Not Fact, Informs the Gun Rights Debateby ReasonTV98,198 views
- 13:09 Glenn Beck blasts Rachel Jeantel and the anti-white racism of her, Trayvon Martin and their cultureby ataxin2,713 views
- 2:31 *Update* | New (SHOCKING) George Zimmerman 911 Tapes From Past Released Details a sick mind 2 of 6by nizzyd31,571 views
- 1:59 Trayvon Martin As He was Being stalked by George Zimmermanby MusicVidContest20113,916 views
- 5:35 George Zimmerman's apology to Trayvon Martin's parentsby CBSNewsOnline9,297 views
- Loading more suggestions...