Jacques Anquetil "The Double"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 28, 2009
1965 double win at the Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré followed by the 560km Bordeaux-Paris
"In 1965, Anquetil won the eight-day Alpine Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré stage race at 3pm, sat through two hours of interviews and receptions, took a 6:30pm chartered flight to Bordeaux and won the world's longest single-day classic, Bordeaux-Paris the following day. The race started at night and continued, from soon after dawn, behind derny motorcycle pacers.
Anquetil was upset, said Raphaël Géminiani in his autobiography, that his rival, Raymond Poulidor was always more warmly regarded even though he had never won the Tour de France. In 1965, when Poulidor was perceived to have received more credit for dropping Anquetil the previous year on the Puy-de-Dôme than Anquetil had received for winning the whole Tour, Géminiani persuaded him to ride the Dauphiné Libéré and, next day, the 557 km Bordeaux-Paris. That, he said, would end any argument over who was the greater athlete.
Anquetil won the Dauphiné, despite bad weather which he disliked, at 3pm. After two hours of interviews and receptions he flew from Nîmes to Bordeaux. At midnight, he ate his pre-race meal and then went to the start in the city's northern suburbs.
He could eat little during the night because of stomach cramp and was on the verge of retiring. Géminiani swore at Anquetil and called him "a great poof" to offend his pride and keep him riding. Anquetil felt better as morning came and the riders dropped in behind the derny pacing motorcycles that were a feature of the race. He responded to an attack by Tom Simpson, followed by his own team-mate Jean Stablinski. Anquetil and Stablinski attacked Simpson alternately, forcing himself to exhaust himself, and Anquetil won at the Parc des Princes. Stablinski finished 57 seconds later just ahead of Simpson. 
The historian Dick Yates said: It had been one of the hardest and closest derny-paced races in history but much more than that this double of Anquetil was one of the greatest exploits ever seen in cycling. At the Parc des Princes, Anquetil received the biggest ovation of his career, certainly much bigger than after any of his wins in the Tour. The race record was broken, Jacques was mobbed by reporters and photographers but he was tired and really had to get some rest. Few people realised it at the time but he had to make the long journey to Maubeuge in north-eastern France where the following day he was riding a criterium!
There are strong and undenied rumours that the jet laid on to get Anquetil to Bordeaux was provided through state funds on the orders of President Charles de Gaulle. Géminiani mentions the belief in his biography, without denying it, saying the truth will come out when French state records are opened to scrutiny."
Story of Jacques Anquetil, Dauphine Libere - Bordeaux Paris
Standard YouTube License
- 6:05 Giro d' Italia 1956: Charly Gaul en Monte Bondoneby A CYCLING ZOMBIE ACCOUNTFeatured 36,221
- 9:43 Jacques Anquetil The Man, Mystery, Legend Part 3by mplayer98 10,715 views
- 9:33 Jacques Anquetil The Man, Mystery, Legend Part 1by mplayer98 18,532 views
- 16:03 Bartali, Coppi, Gimondi and the Tour de France Part 1by mplayer98's channel 26,234 views
- 16:41 Bartali, Coppi, Gimondi and the Tour de France Part 2by mplayer98 6,114 views
- 62 videos Play all Cycling Moviesby abdulmatinuk
- 10:00 Top 30 cyclists of all time (part 1: From #30 to #21)by wenck 48,072 views
- 20:22 Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx et Luis Ocanaby OSCOZOFF 2,152 views
- 9:11 The Story of Tom Simpson Part 2/6by parmijo 12,474 views
- 9:58 Eddy Merckx - The Greatest Show on Earth (1974 Giro) Part 7by mplayer98's channel 45,835 views
- 1:18:40 Janine Anquetil, la dame blonde (1996) by Gérard Courantby Gérard Courant 2,738 views
- 7:42 Tour de France 1959 - Federico M. Bahamontesby wenck 23,040 views
- 9:04 Vive Le Tour (1962 Tour de France) Part 1by mplayer98's channel 122,975 views
- 7:28 Eddy Merckx attacks!by wenck 223,764 views
- 6:17 EDDY MERCKX Championnat du monde 1973 480pby phille rouan 40,653 views
- 1:40:57 Legends of Le Tour de France - Eddy Merckxby LuisMosh Cycling TV 8,431 views
- 10:08 Time Trial - Ole Ritter - 1973 Giro d'Italiaby mplayer98's channel 23,577 views
- 10:00 Top 30 cyclists of all time (part 2: From #20 to 11)by wenck 41,452 views
- 18:36 Sophie Anquetil à propos de son père Jacques Anquetilby Ina Divertissement 2,008 views
- 8:53 Tour de France Greatest Moments - Part 1/5by biggs881 128,527 views
- 8:15 Jacques Anquetil The Man, Mystery, Legend Part 6by mplayer98 9,975 views
- Loading more suggestions...