Uploaded on Feb 5, 2010
I just installed Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on my Acer Aspire 5920G (aka. AcerBook Pro). I am also triple booting between Mac OS X, Windows, and Ubuntu Linux.
UPDATE: I have a new video of this laptop showing some extra features I have managed to enable, such as the webcam and sleep mode here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWq74...
I previously had Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 running perfectly as shown in this:
Also, this is a major upgrade from the AcerBook Pro 1.0 shown here:
All the files I used can be found here:
1. Delete all partitions on the hard drive.
2. Partition half the drive and install Windows 7. Leave the other half unpartitioned for now.
Follow this guide to create two additional Mac OS X Journaled partitions after installing Windows 7, one 8GB and the other with the rest of the hard drive's free space.
4. Install Leopard on the larger Mac OS X partition. Before installing, use Disk Utility erase the 8GB partition and name it "Snow" and erase the other partition and name it "Macintosh HD" and install Leopard to "Macintosh HD."
5. From Leopard, restore the Snow Leopard install DVD dmg image to the 8GB partition and replace files according to this guide: (Only follow the section of the guide which deals with booting from MBR. If you don't plan on dual booting with Windows or using MBR, skip this step.)
6. Install Chameleon 2 RC4 bootloader onto the 8GB partition.
7. Download all the kexts and files from the link above. Rename NVEnabler 64.kext to NVEnabler64.kext (without space).
8. Place all kexts (except NVEnabler, IOUSBFamily, and the audio kexts) from the download file in the /Extra/Extensions folder. Place DSDT.aml and com.apple.boot.plist in the root directory and in /Extra.
7. Restart the computer and boot from the "Snow" partition. This will boot into the installer. For this phase, you may need to attach a USB mouse and keyboard.
8. Open Disk Utility and erase "Macintosh HD." Follow the rest of the installer to install Snow Leopard on "Macintosh HD."
9. When computer restarts, boot from "Macintosh HD." Follow the post-install wizard and remember to create a password. Then install the latest Snow Leopard update. Restart computer.
10. Use Kexthelper to install ALL the kexts provided in my download link.
11. Restart computer and see if everything is working. If not, reinstall the required kexts and restart.
12. Use this guide for ethernet: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/inde...
13. Once everything is working, you can remove the USB mouse and keyboard.
14. Enjoy your AcerBook Pro! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
This laptop cost me only $800 and it is at least twice as fast as the cheapest $1200 MacBook Pro and has many more features. Because the hardware is identical to a previous generation MacBook Pro (Early 2008) I was able to install by using an unmodified Snow Leopard DVD directly from Apple. (The only small modification I made was to allow dual booting with Windows 7.)
Acer Aspire 5920G Specs:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4GHz
Chipset: Intel PM965
Platform: Intel Centrino Duo (Santa Rosa)
Memory: 4GB DDR2 667 High Performance Low Latency
Hard Drive: 250GB SATA 7200RPM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB (1024MB TurboCache)
Sound: Realtek High Definition ALC888
Screen: 15.4" Acer CrystalBrite LCD (aka. makeup mirror, waay too freaking reflective)
Optical: HD DVD
Network: Intel 3945ABG Wireless, Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet
USB: 4 Ports (MacBook Pro has only 2)
Firewire: 1 Port
Other Features: Acer Crystal Eye Webcam, HDMI, S-Video, Ricoh SD Card Reader, Lights, ExpressCard Slot, Dolby Virtual Surround with Subwoofer, Empowering Technology Framework, Some others that I have not discovered yet
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 (Both Cores; Clock speed detected incorrectly)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (Quartz Extreme/Core Image Enabled, Native Resolution)
Realtek High Definition Audio (with Dolby)
Volume Control Knob
Ricoh SD Card Reader
Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet
Acer Crystal Eye WebCam
Intel 3945ABG Wireless (Network Scanning Only)
What Doesn't Work:
Media Buttons (Lights) (If anyone knows how to get these to work, please let me know.)
Standard YouTube License