Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 19, 2009
California travel expert Veronica Hill of http://www.CaliforniaTravelExpert.com tours the Portland Japanese Garden in Oregon to learn more about this beautiful landscaping method.
Japanese gardens date back before the 8th century, when they were used by ancient rulers for prayer and contemplation. A garden in Japanese, called niwa, represents a pure and spiritual place.
The Japanese Gardens in Portland are one of the best examples of Eastern landscaping in North America, and well worth a visit.
Walk the serene bridges past streams and waterfalls, then follow quiet paths lined with flowers and trees, always changing with the seasons.
The Japanese rock garden, with its raked white sand and towering stones, suggests ocean waves crashing near sacred islands. This type of Japanese sand garden is often found in Zen monasteries.
Japanese Garden tea houses and pavilions are designed for complete views of the natural surroundings with sliding doors, large transparent windows and plenty of decking.
These offer great views of Japanese garden plants such as wisteria, iris, and vibrant red maple trees.
Stone and bronze lanterns light the pathways, which are often marked by water basins with bamboo drippers, used for ritual cleansing of the hands and mouth.
The Japanese water garden, marked by a meandering wooden plank bridge, is often lined with iris, and may include a waterfall, ever changing, yet always there.
Nearby, the Japanese garden bridge is a great lookout spot. In Japanese garden design, the bridges are usually arched and made from stone or wood in keeping with the natural elements of the garden. Sometimes, bridges are also used in dry landscapes.
To create a Japanese garden and learn more about Japanese garden designs, it helps to visit one in person.
To view a Japanese Garden in California, head to The Japanese Garden in Van Nuys, the Huntington Gardens in San Marino, or the Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden in Long Beach.
For a listing of Japanese Gardens, go to CaliforniaTravelExpert.com
Standard YouTube License
- 5:38 Small Japanese Garden: Nara Garden Fest. 2010by SereneGardensFeatured 48,680
- 1:52 Lego Cityby CaliforniaTravelTips 880,223 views
- 3:32 Chinatown Los Angelesby CaliforniaTravelTips 229,526 views
- 1:45 McDonalds Historyby CaliforniaTravelTips 189,410 views
- 1:34 Desert Animals - The Living Desertby CaliforniaTravelTips 39,710 views
- Japanese garden 5,558 videos66
- 6:17 Japanese Garden "Computer Design" . Lee's Oriental Landscape Artby OrientalLandscape 13,521 views
- 3:17 Japanese style gardenby geoff carter 126,601 views
- 7:45 Traditional Japanese House and Gardenby murasakiryu 51,119 views
- 1:08 足立美術館の日本庭園－その3/The Best of Japanese Garden No.3by ezg02274 17,588 views
- 5:15 How to Design a Japanese Garden: Part 1by TCLandscapeDesign 12,210 views
- 10:23 Zen and Japanese Gardensby LYoungVisuals 17,575 views
- 2:56 Japanese Garden Imagesby asiaimages 182,675 views
- 6:57 Buddha Maitreya Amazing Japanese Garden 弥勒仏アメージング日本庭園by chuckadave 12,612 views
- 5:30 Heavenly Azaleas In Japan, Japanese Gardenby Amusing Bunni 28,170 views
- 3:29 Relaxing by the Koi Pondby FISHGAL69 146,321 views
- 3:09 Zen Gardens in Kyotoby radioerrols 70,512 views
- 1:58 How To Create Japanese Gardensby VideojugDIYGardening 11,871 views
- 7:49 Japanese Garden "Projects" . Lee's Oriental Landscape Artby OrientalLandscape 6,495 views
- 31 videos Play all Japan - Traditionalby dzodzu
- 6:20 Hands On (Japan version) Suikinkutsu Part 3 of 5by TVEAPfilms 34,882 views
- 2:31 How to make a Zen garden. SeeTsubo-en: www.zen-garden.orgby patings 22,301 views
- Loading more suggestions...