London 2012: Olympic Games flame lit in Greece
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 10, 2012
The official lighting ceremony for the London 2012 Games will take place today, at the site of ancient Olympia in Greece. Attended by President of the International Olympic Committee Jacques Rogge, President of the Hellenic Olympic Committee Spyros Capralos, and the President of the Organizing Committee of Olympic Games London 2012 Sebastian Coe.
The ceremony which lasts for 35 minutes began with Greek actress Ino Menegaki playing the role of a high priestess, lighting the Olympic Flame directly from the sun's rays amid loud claps from the audience.
She then passes the sacred flame and then an olive branch, over to the first torchbearer, Spyros Gianniotis, a 32-year-old Greek world swimming champion. Gianniotis' was chosen as he was born in the United Kingdom but raised in Greece, which enabled him to be eligible for the honour to be selected as the first torchbearer in the lighting ceremony.He will pass it on to Alex Loukos, 19, the first British torchbearer, a boxer and, in 2005, one of a delegation of east London schoolchildren who travelled to Singapore as part of London's final bid for the Games.
The High Priestess then handed an Olive branch to a small boy and another Priestess released a pigeon which symbolized the peace and purity of the Games message.
Amid much financial and political turmoil,The torch will then tour Greece for 8 days. Where it will pass through the hands of 490 torchbearers. It will cross 26 provinces, 38 municipalities and 40 cities, visiting five archaeological sites, while 34 altar lighting ceremonies will be held in specific cities along the way.
The Olympic torch will arrive in the UK on May 18 and will be handed over to the delegation of the UK, to continue it's 70 day relay journey to the Olympic city of London.
I am Ann Salter,thanks for watching,for the latest update on this story and other news,go to our website at ibtimes.co.uk
Written and Presented by Ann Salter
Standard YouTube License
- 34:23 Funny moments in Olympic games 2012 Londonby Spi0nANDmoreFailVideos2,134,741 views
- 7:09 Ancient Olympic Games History, Mythology, The Athlete, Sport Eventsby Zenitfm12,572 views
- 3:31:36 OLYMPIC GAMES - ATHENS 2004 - OPENING CEREMONY!by Ellhnikhpsyxh487,945 views
- 5:08 Birth of the Olympicsby nofearoffalling51,153 views
- 2:26 London 2012 Olympic Flame Arrives in the UKby Darren Driscoll64,771 views
- 1:46 Ancient Greek Olympic Gamesby cctvupload43,118 views
- 2:49 London 2012 - Olympic Flame Arrives In Londonby Beanyman62News15,118 views
- 1:30 2012 Olympic Flame Lit in Greeceby CNN25,309 views
- 2:59 Olympic games through historyby Biggsu45,810 views
- 2:00 Olympic Flame Lighting Ceremony London 2012by Savas Nikolaou19,707 views
- 6:16 James Bond and The Queen London 2012 Performanceby Olympics3,642,867 views
- 1:43:26 USA v Nigeria - Men's Basketball Group A | London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics1,486,391 views
- 32:49 Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games [Opening / London Party ~ Round 1]by Cyberman65381,344 views
- 2:04 Olympic Flame Lighting Ceremony London 2012by Savas Nikolaou11,370 views
- 15:20 London 2012 Opening Ceremony - Pandemonium (Industrial Revolution Section)by ashliiful61,151 views
- 10:55 Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympic Games - Lighting of the flame and torch relayby AthensPinClub20041,278 views
- 2:42 Horrible Histories Historical HHTV Sport Ancient Greece Olympicsby gazza635955,566 views
- 1:59:47 USA v AUS - Men's Basketball Quarterfinal | London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics929,742 views
- 5:37 Closing Ceremony - Beijing 2008 Summer Olympic Gamesby beijing2008815,254 views
- 13:27 London 2012: The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games Gameplay (PC HD)by deluxe345487,323 views
- Loading more suggestions...