Uploaded on Aug 28, 2008
Dinosaur birthday cake decorating ideas - How to make a cake
If you're having a dino-themed party, celebrate with this easy Edible Rex dinosaur birthday cake decorating idea developed by professional baker and cookbook author Liv Hansen for the Betty Crocker Kitchens.
**Click here to download a template http://www.bettycrocker.com/~/media/F... **
How to make a dinosaur birthday cake
Assembling the dinosaur cake
1. On the first cake layer, cut a slice off of one side. Then in the middle of the flat side of the cake layer, cut a U-shaped piece out to create the dinosaurs belly and legs. Place the layer on a serving platter.
2. Using paper templates, cut a head and tail out of the second cake layer (cut the dome off the top first so its flat). Place head and tail on the serving platter, joining the pieces to the dinosaurs body. Glue the cake to the platter by placing some frosting underneath each piece of cake. Crumb coat the entire cake with a thin layer of green frosting.
3. Freeze the cake for 30 minutes.
Decorate the dinosaur cake
1. Frost the entire cake with another layer of green frosting. Smooth frosting on sides of cake using an offset spatula. Smooth the top of the cake, working from the outside to the middle. Have hot water on hand to clean the spatula as you are smoothing frosting. Dry spatula each time you clean it before continuing to frost the cake.
2. Place flat chocolate disks on the cake to make spots on the dinosaur.
3. Use smaller chocolate candies for eyes and toes.
4. Use pointy candies across the top to create spikes along the dinosaurs head, back and tail.
5. Using white frosting in a pastry bag, make white dots in the center of each chocolate eye.
6. Using white frosting in a pastry bag, draw on a smile. Or, for a scary dino, make teeth by holding the pastry bag in place, squeezing to form a dot and then pulling up to create a point.
how to make a birthday cake
how to make a cake
birthday cake decorating ideas
how to make a dinosaur cake
Standard YouTube License