Christopher Hitchens Trials of Kissinger p1
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 18, 2009
Based on a book by journalist Christopher Hitchens, The Trials of Henry Kissinger, a documentary by Eugene Jarecki, argues that the former U.S. Secretary of State and Nobel Peace Prize recipient should be tried for war crimes for his role in the overthrow of the democratically elected government in Chile in 1973, the secret bombing of Cambodia in 1969, and U.S. support for Indonesia's 1975 invasion of East Timor, events that led to the slaughter of millions. Applying the same legal standards to which Pinochet and Milosevic have been held, Hitchens branded Dr. Kissinger as a war criminal who should be brought to justice for crimes against humanity. Narrated by actor Brian Cox, the documentary is presented in lively "60 Minutes" fashion using archival footage, background music, and a combination of interviews with Kissinger associates and journalists such as Seymour Hersh, William Safire, and Hitchens himself.
The film attempts to maintain a balanced tone but Dr. Kissinger's only defenders are former staff members William Shawcross and Alexander Haig and there are no interviews with Dr. Kissinger himself (who refused to be interviewed). A refugee from Nazi Germany, Kissinger. rose to prominence in American politics thanks to his realpolitik approach to improving America's power position in the world relative to Russia and China. One of the main contentions of the film is that Kissinger, as a member of the Johnson team at the Paris Peace Talks, was also a secret advisor to Richard Nixon's presidential campaign of 1968. In that double role, he torpedoed the Paris Peace Talks by persuading South Vietnam Premier Thiéu to back out of the talks in order to prevent the Democratic candidate Hubert Humphrey from taking political advantage of a Vietnam settlement before the election.
Another supporting piece of evidence is that Kissinger bombed Cambodia without the knowledge of Congress, an action that led to the death of 500,000 Cambodians, the destabilization of the country and the rise of the bloody Khmer Rouge regime of Pol Pot. Jarecki also argues that Kissinger's clandestine support of Indonesia President Suharto's invasion of East Timor suppressed an independent movement and led to the deaths of 100,000 Timorese. Jarecki's case is built on a series of recently declassified documents that contradict Kissinger's written memoirs and show that Washington had supported Suharto using American weapons designed only for defensive purposes. They also indicate that Kissinger played a major role in Chile in the kidnapping and murder of General René Schneider and was deeply involved in the overthrow of the government of Salvador Allendé in Chile on September 11, 1973. Jarecki interviews Gen. Schneider's son who reveals that he is considering pressing charges against Kissinger for his part in the murder.
The Trials of Henry Kissinger is timely and the idea that statesman should be held accountable for their actions under International Law is a compelling issue that deserves to be debated in public forums.
Standard YouTube License
- 21:07 Christopher Hitchens' polemic against Henry Kissingerby AllanGreggFeatured 87,944
- 9:59 The Trial of Henry Kissenger 2/8by M S 14,987 views
- 1:19:41 The Trials Of Henry Kissinger.by Capriluveda 36,756 views
- 9:31 Christopher Hitchens Trials of Kissinger p3by mephifc 23,167 views
- 1:48:36 The Greatest Debate of the Decade - Christopher Hitchens vs. George Galloway.by Capriluveda 501,938 views
- 9:59 The Trial of Henry Kissenger 3/8by M S 12,435 views
- 7:38 Christopher Hitchens on Russia and its Neighbors (Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty)by rferlonline 19,295 views
- 2:34 Christopher Hitchens on Noam Chomskyby padraic2001eire 206,294 views
- 10:00 The Trial of Henry Kissenger 1/8by M S 12,637 views
- 0:50 Christopher Hitchens Rolls his Eyes at Daniel Dennett - RUDE!by JQisAwesome 81,478 views
- 56:34 Christopher Hitchens on Q and A by LeCaNANDian 26,869 views
- 5:42 Christopher Hitchens responds to a Jihad sympathizerby Stipoon 216,750 views
- 10:00 The Trial of Henry Kissenger 4/8by M S 7,749 views
- 7:26 The True Core Of The Jesus Myth | Christopher Hitchens @ FreedomFest (1)by FFreeThinker 949,571 views
- 1:00 Kissinger: Obama Will Create A New World Orderby Marc Moyer 192,223 views
- 8:24 Christopher Hitchens: America - The Greatest Country In The World?by FFreeThinker2 84,337 views
- 9:22 Christopher Hitchens on Q&A (1/7)by nonameisacat 277,891 views
- 9:59 Christopher Hitchens on Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Richard Nixon and Jesse Jackson (1988)by CEHitchens33 156,412 views
- 38:36 Christopher Hitchens "Hitch Hike" Documentaryby ChristopherHitchslap 42,261 views
- 1:07:41 Authors@Google: Christopher Hitchensby AtGoogleTalks 1,118,400 views
- Loading more suggestions...