Dolphin Stampede Overtakes Whale Watching Boat
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 6, 2013
Capt.Dave's Dolphin and Whale Safari (949) 488-2828 or http://www.dolphinsafari.com for reservations and information.
A huge pod of about 1,000 Common Dolphins stampeded off the coast of Dana Point, California, like a herd of wild horses. This has happened twice recently though it is very rare. The line of wild dolphins could be seen from miles away churning up the water and, to the delight of whale watching passengers and crew aboard Captain Dave's Dolphin and Whale Safari, the dolphins turned and stampeded directly over to the boat. Often this unusual behavior happens without warning and without any observable cause, as was the case this time.
Ecstatic passengers aboard Captain Dave's Dolphin and Whale Safari were able to see the spectacular show from a unique perspective too: below the surface from the Eye to Eye Underwater Viewing Pods! In the two Underwater Viewing Pods passengers are able to BE one of the pod and feel what's it like to swim with wild dolphins without having to get wet.
Southern California has the greatest density of dolphins per square mile than anywhere on earth. This includes nearly 450,000 common dolphins like the ones in this video. Dana Point is one of the best places in the world to see one of these large megapods that can number in herds of up to 10,000. Porpoising is their fastest mode of travel as there is less resistance in air than water.
In addition to incredible dolphins, Dolphin Safari whale watchers met several gray whales making their annual migration to Baja, California. At one point the herd of stampeding dolphins adjusted their course and headed right at the gray whales! Don't worry for the whales though, they avoided the dolphins who were of no threat and are continuing their journey south.
A SPECIAL NOTE FROM CAPT. DAVE:
There has never been a case of a dolphin being struck by a whale watching boat prop in the history of whale watching in Southern California, as far as I am aware. If this ever occurred the passengers who love dolphins as much as we do would immediately report it. And with social media everyone would know. We have deep water off California and the dolphins are completely aware of our prop and that it is moving. They can and do easily stay away if they choose too, though most nearby dolphins come over to the front of any passing boat to surf the pressure wave created by the boat moving through the water.
When we first started whale watching many years ago we had the same concerns and asked the government body in charge of such things, NOAA, if we should take any special precautions with our propellers, etc., and they told us that they had never had a report of a dolphin being struck by a prop in our area and not to worry about this. We would never do anything to hurt these animals, which I have personally risked my life to save. And anyone who continues to believe so has never been out with us to see what we do. Or is simply ill informed, like we once were.
Captain Dave's Dolphin and Whale Safari offers daily, year-round, dolphin and whale watching trips from Dana Point Harbor aboard a hi-tech catamaran with Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods and LIVE broadcasting from http://www.whalewatchingtv.com.
All audio and video material is Copyright David Anderson/DolphinSafari.com.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:32 Wild Dolphin "Asks" Divers to Help Free Itself from Hookby ViralMedia2013Featured 790,821
- 8:21 Humpback Whale Shows AMAZING Appreciation After Being Freed From Netsby JoinWakeUpWorld 4,169,537 views
- 48:51 BBC Natural World - The Falls of Iguacuby proudgeekybaby87 81,257 views
- 2:29 Dolphins Help Young Sealby Oasis HD 505,895 views
- 18:50 The Ultimate Fails Compilation ✔by Funny Videos Archive 59,870,516 views
- 3:45 30 Dolphins stranding and incredibly saved! Extremely rare event!by Kanal von crariyo 5,273,829 views
- 1:27 Moment a Humpback Whale Breaches Right next to Motor Boatby mattgloval 364,687 views
- 0:22 Dolphin Kisses Dog, Jumps For Joy!by OneWorldOneOcean 1,049,468 views
- 1:49 Dolphin Bites 8-Year-Old Girl At Sea Worldby Shinehood 241,343 views
- Dolphin 124,614 videos370
- 46:13 Kingdom of the Blue Whaleby National Geographic 144,857 views
- 1:06 Dolphins Protect Diver from Hammerhead Sharkby BlueVoice 2,192,304 views
- 1:50 KILLER WHALES TRAPPED IN ICE - Stranded Orcas Under Ice Need Helpby AnimalWire 107,102 views
- 1:06 Close Encounters of the Giant Kindby National Geographic 18,369,442 views
- 6:45 Extremely Scary Ghost Elevator Prank in Brazilby dogproduction 66,388,418 views
- 5:09 CNN: Dolphins see themselves in mirrorby CNN 153,849 views
- 2:04 Dolphin Surfing, Woman Wakeboarding with Dolphins as seen on TV (WORLDWIDE!!)by Wyatt Miller 470,637 views
- 4:03 Amazing Dolphins Videoby John Shiloh 21,174 views
- 3:05 Giant Squid: Caught on Camera (pt.1)by Discovery International 2,461,410 views
- 3:31 Incredible Dolphin Birth at Dolphin Quest Hawaiiby dqvideos1 2,165,131 views
- 0:39 Surfer Almost Swallowed by Whaleby bqnbarb13 10,000,966 views
- Loading more suggestions...