Dolphin Stampede Overtakes Whale Watching Boat
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 6, 2013
Capt.Dave's Dolphin and Whale Safari (949) 488-2828 or http://www.dolphinsafari.com for reservations and information.
A huge pod of about 1,000 Common Dolphins stampeded off the coast of Dana Point, California, like a herd of wild horses. This has happened twice recently though it is very rare. The line of wild dolphins could be seen from miles away churning up the water and, to the delight of whale watching passengers and crew aboard Captain Dave's Dolphin and Whale Safari, the dolphins turned and stampeded directly over to the boat. Often this unusual behavior happens without warning and without any observable cause, as was the case this time.
Ecstatic passengers aboard Captain Dave's Dolphin and Whale Safari were able to see the spectacular show from a unique perspective too: below the surface from the Eye to Eye Underwater Viewing Pods! In the two Underwater Viewing Pods passengers are able to BE one of the pod and feel what's it like to swim with wild dolphins without having to get wet.
Southern California has the greatest density of dolphins per square mile than anywhere on earth. This includes nearly 450,000 common dolphins like the ones in this video. Dana Point is one of the best places in the world to see one of these large megapods that can number in herds of up to 10,000. Porpoising is their fastest mode of travel as there is less resistance in air than water.
In addition to incredible dolphins, Dolphin Safari whale watchers met several gray whales making their annual migration to Baja, California. At one point the herd of stampeding dolphins adjusted their course and headed right at the gray whales! Don't worry for the whales though, they avoided the dolphins who were of no threat and are continuing their journey south.
A SPECIAL NOTE FROM CAPT. DAVE:
There has never been a case of a dolphin being struck by a whale watching boat prop in the history of whale watching in Southern California, as far as I am aware. If this ever occurred the passengers who love dolphins as much as we do would immediately report it. And with social media everyone would know. We have deep water off California and the dolphins are completely aware of our prop and that it is moving. They can and do easily stay away if they choose too, though most nearby dolphins come over to the front of any passing boat to surf the pressure wave created by the boat moving through the water.
When we first started whale watching many years ago we had the same concerns and asked the government body in charge of such things, NOAA, if we should take any special precautions with our propellers, etc., and they told us that they had never had a report of a dolphin being struck by a prop in our area and not to worry about this. We would never do anything to hurt these animals, which I have personally risked my life to save. And anyone who continues to believe so has never been out with us to see what we do. Or is simply ill informed, like we once were.
Captain Dave's Dolphin and Whale Safari offers daily, year-round, dolphin and whale watching trips from Dana Point Harbor aboard a hi-tech catamaran with Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods and LIVE broadcasting from http://www.whalewatchingtv.com.
All audio and video material is Copyright David Anderson/DolphinSafari.com.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:32 Wild Dolphin "Asks" Divers to Help Free Itself from Hookby ViralMedia2013Featured 763,543
- 8:21 Humpback Whale Shows AMAZING Appreciation After Being Freed From Netsby JoinWakeUpWorld 4,151,144 views
- 2:29 Dolphins Help Young Sealby oasishdchannel 483,942 views
- 1:52 Science Bulletins: Whales Give Dolphins a Liftby AMNHorg 2,208,481 views
- 1:49 Dolphin Bites 8-Year-Old Girl At Sea Worldby Shinehood 237,499 views
- 3:45 30 Dolphins stranding and incredibly saved! Extremely rare event!by crariyo 5,251,028 views
- 1:06 Dolphins Protect Diver from Hammerhead Sharkby BlueVoiceOrg 2,135,286 views
- 46:13 Kingdom of the Blue Whaleby NationalGeographic 141,811 views
- 6:45 Extremely Scary Ghost Elevator Prank in Brazilby dogproduction 66,196,720 views
- 3:05 Giant Squid: Caught on Camera (pt.1)by DiscoveryTV 2,442,362 views
- 5:09 CNN: Dolphins see themselves in mirrorby CNN 152,700 views
- 1:50 KILLER WHALES TRAPPED IN ICE - Stranded Orcas Under Ice Need Helpby AnimalWire 105,879 views
- 0:44 Giant Squid Caught on Tape for First Time for Discovery Channel's 'Monster Squid: The Giant Is Real'by ABCNews 3,941,994 views
- 0:39 Surfer Almost Swallowed by Whaleby bqnbarb13 9,992,219 views
- 3:29 Killer Whales "Wave Wash" Seal | Frozen Planetby DiscoveryNetworks 556,778 views
- 10:54 SeaWorld's Old "Dolphin Discovery" Show (in HD)by MoneySavingVideos 4,535,028 views
- 2:55 National Geographic Live! - Diving with Whalesby NationalGeographic 369,994 views
- 2:10 Thousands of Dolphins flee California Coast: But why? 2/22/2012by xBehindthetruthx 21,917 views
- 3:52 The Big Bang Theory Flash mob! [Full version compilation]by NommiXproductions 4,152,825 views
- 2:00 Killer whales surprise couple on boatby CNN 154,381 views
- Loading more suggestions...