Ghana: Digital Dumping Ground (1 of 2)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 25, 2009
Corporate socialism = maximize profit, socialize risk.
"Had President Obama seen the e-waste dump in Accra, Ghana, I am sure he would have been emotionally affected as he was during his visit to Cape Coast Castle."
PBS.org ..."hundreds of thousands of tons of American e-waste makes its way into China, despite laws intended to stop it."
PBS documentary: Ghana, Digital Dumping Ground
"Just a few miles from Hong Kongs port, hidden behind eight-foot-high corrugated walls, are mountains of computer monitors, printer cartridges from Georgia, relics of old video arcades
In China, e-waste has become big business.
The southern Chinese city of Guiyu has been completely built around the e-waste trade. Miles and miles of nothing but old electronics.
Jim Puckett is an environmental activist credited with discovering this harmful e-waste route to China. He has accompanied the team to Guiyu, a place he first visited eight years ago, and calls it the dirty little secret of the hi-tech industry.
Video Puckett shot in 2001 was the first anyone had documented showing Western computers being dumped in Guiyu. He found tens of thousands of people working here in the toxic trade. On this return visit, Puckett says things have gotten worse.
I was there first in 2001 and it was shocking enough then. It had gone from very bad to really horrific. And what is happening there is rather apocalyptic.
One of the most disturbing things Puckett points out is happening behind closed doors. Women literally cooking circuit boards to salvage the computer chips, which have trace amounts of gold.
All these old mother boards and other types of circuit boards are being cooked day in and day out, mostly by women, sitting there, breathing the lead tin solders. Its just quite devastating, Puckett says.
To find out who is making money off this hazardous work, the team travels to downtown Hong Kong, home to hundreds of companies that import e-waste into China. No one here will speak to the reporters on camera, so they film surreptitiously.
Puckett and one of our reporters arrange to meet an e-waste broker willing to explain the e-waste trade from the inside.
The man explains how hundreds of thousands of tons of American e-waste makes its way into China, despite laws intended to stop it.
If we were to send you our material, would our recyclers get in trouble with the Chinese government if they find their material coming into mainland? Puckett asks the broker.
I can only say that if they get caught it has nothing to do with you. Because I buy from you, and then I sell to him. He is buying from me; he's not buying from you, the man explains.
He says that since Hong Kong ships millions of containers to the U.S. and most return empty, it's cheap to load them with e-waste, and too expensive to dispose of the waste safely -- no matter what recyclers claim.
...Even if you have a state-of-the-art facility in a country like India, the free market there will send it to the lowest common denominator, to the worst facilities where people are sitting on the streets just picking through it by hand, he says. Its a myth to think that you can just solve the problem immediately with technology alone.""
Standard YouTube License
- 10:01 Ghana: Digital Dumping Ground (2 of 2)by ThisWeekInFascism24,620 views
- 19:55 Ghana: Digital Dumping Groundby killyourtvtube3,947 views
- 9:52 The "Door Of No Return" Opens - The African Holocaust of Enslavementby The Dinizulu Archives21,955 views
- 17:45 E-Waste Hellby SBS Dateline52,482 views
- 16:39 E-Waste Hell - Ghanaby Journeyman Pictures10,234 views
- 11:07 E-waste movie - short version - who's dying for your iPad - the truth of ewasteby joetube9721712,719 views
- 24:51 e-waste | A growing environmental and health disaster in Ghanaby etvgh4,013 views
- 4:35 E-Waste: Dumping on the Poor 电子垃圾污染穷国by Asia Society387,215 views
- 13:04 60 minutes - e-waste (extract)by Benouille19889,267 views
- 10:55 Fish Farming in Ghanaby WorldBank62,956 views
- 8:46 India's e-waste recycling industry - F24 100119by cctvupload10,500 views
- 23:37 E-waste from Antwerp to Ghana - Worldby Journeyman Pictures22,609 views
- 4:49 E-waste recycling: Giving new life to an old PCby materialsprocessing43,047 views
- 4:29 Old Electronics Are a New Gold Mineby bryantparkproject216,401 views
- 2:18 Illegal Chinese Gold Mining in Ghanaby NTDTV126,666 views
- 6:16 How the west dump Electronic Waste in Africa and Indiaby Thomas Vervik14,038 views
- 7:00 Trading Injustice: The Ghana Tomato Story - PART 1 of 2by david7marks12,734 views
- 13:04 60 minutes - E-Wasteby Donnie Mossberg3,735 views
- 7:46 Random Spot - Toxic Waste Hazardously Sour Candyby TheReviewSpot143,936 views
- 11:45 Busy Internet Ghanaby WorldBank43,090 views
- Loading more suggestions...