NewSchools Presents: Jennifer Green & Christina Hall, Urban Teacher Center
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 16, 2012
Entrepreneurs have revolutionized nearly every facet of modern society, bringing innovations to the way we care for the sick, grow our food, and communicate with each other. For the past 15 years, these stubbornly optimistic men and women have turned their sights on bringing US public education into the 21st century. Together, they're working towards a future in which every student--no matter their socioeconomic status or their ZIP code--receives an excellent education.
Prior to co-launching Urban Teacher Center, Jennifer Green was the Director of Curriculum and Instruction for Baltimore City's public high schools. In this role she observed first-hand the disparity in the quality of teaching from classroom to classroom. Jennifer served as the Director for High School Reform for the Fund for Educational Excellence and has taught high school in New Orleans, Boston and Baltimore. She started her teaching career with Teach for America in a greater New Orleans high school, where she was named best county teacher of the year. In 2004, Jennifer was named by the Baltimore Business Journal as one of Baltimore City's "Top 40 under 40." Jennifer earned her M.A. from Harvard University and her B.A. from Boston University.
Christina started her work in education as an attorney advocating for disadvantaged youth at the Department of Social Services for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Motivated by a desire to intervene sooner in the lives of such youth, Christina earned her Masters in Education and focused her practice on inequities in urban public schools. Christina has served as a public high school teacher and as a program officer in Boston and Baltimore. Prior to co-launching Urban Teacher Center, Christina focused on policy and practice inequities and improving instructional practice in the Baltimore City Public Schools as the Chief of Staff for the Chief Academic Officer. In this capacity, she managed the oversight of 200 schools and an $800 million operating budget. Christina has a B.A. from Boston College, a J.D. with honors from Suffolk University, and an M.Ed. in Education from Boston College. Christina is a proud graduate of public K-12 schools.
To watch other videos in the NewSchools Presents series go to http://www.newschools.org/entrepreneurs.
Learn more about Urban Teacher Center at http://urbanteachercenter.org/
Standard YouTube License
Next in NewSchools Presents: Education Entrepreneurs (2012)
- 2:02 NewSchools Presents: Eric Westendorf & Alix Guerrier, LearnZillionby NewSchools Venture Fund1,761 views
- 4:28 In Their Own Wordsby NewSchools Venture Fund248 views
- 2:01 NewSchools Presents: Simmons Lettre & Carrie Irvin, Charter Board Partnersby NewSchools Venture Fund996 views
- 8:38 Urban Teacher Education Programby Jay Shefsky3,298 views
- 26:35 "JAPÓN: PUNTO Y APARTE." DOCUMENTAL SOBRE LA EDUCACIÓN EN JAPÓNby COLEVISIONTV103,915 views
- 5:43 Jennifer Greene - Living with Metastatic Breast Cancerby Jennifer Greene1,280 views
- 10:32 La vecina educación hiperactiva hd.mp4by Cesar Villon293,568 views
- 6:55 Student Attacks Teacher For Putting Her Out Of Classby TheAdviseShowTV246,418 views
- 9:51 Wywiad z Andrzejem Batko [audio] cz.1 NLP Newsby NLPNews5,157 views
- 9:18 Types of Kids at Schoolby IISuperwomanII3,771,215 views
- 4:58 Becoming a Culturally Responsive Teacherby Knowledge Delivery Systems4,283 views
- 4:39 College Student Brings Judges and Family to Tears With Powerful Auditionby koolaides15,049,913 views
- 3:01 Digital Classroom Designby drgcicchetti13,926 views
- 7:32 10 Life Hacks Every College Student Should Knowby CrazyRussianHacker3,231,529 views
- 2:25:19 La Educación Prohibida - Película Completa HDby edprohibida8,696,063 views
- 16:41 Why are so many of our teachers and schools so successful? John Hattie at TEDxNorrkopingby TEDxTalks3,351 views
- 6:15 Successful Co-teaching: Keys to Team Development (Part 1 of 3)by Erin Stark11,675 views
- 8:56 10 year old intellect, Dalton Sherman's keynote speechby Siyclone302,222 views
- 7:49 Rita Pierson: Every kid needs a championby TED293,293 views