NewSchools Presents: Jennifer Green & Christina Hall, Urban Teacher Center
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 16, 2012
Entrepreneurs have revolutionized nearly every facet of modern society, bringing innovations to the way we care for the sick, grow our food, and communicate with each other. For the past 15 years, these stubbornly optimistic men and women have turned their sights on bringing US public education into the 21st century. Together, they're working towards a future in which every student--no matter their socioeconomic status or their ZIP code--receives an excellent education.
Prior to co-launching Urban Teacher Center, Jennifer Green was the Director of Curriculum and Instruction for Baltimore City's public high schools. In this role she observed first-hand the disparity in the quality of teaching from classroom to classroom. Jennifer served as the Director for High School Reform for the Fund for Educational Excellence and has taught high school in New Orleans, Boston and Baltimore. She started her teaching career with Teach for America in a greater New Orleans high school, where she was named best county teacher of the year. In 2004, Jennifer was named by the Baltimore Business Journal as one of Baltimore City's "Top 40 under 40." Jennifer earned her M.A. from Harvard University and her B.A. from Boston University.
Christina started her work in education as an attorney advocating for disadvantaged youth at the Department of Social Services for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Motivated by a desire to intervene sooner in the lives of such youth, Christina earned her Masters in Education and focused her practice on inequities in urban public schools. Christina has served as a public high school teacher and as a program officer in Boston and Baltimore. Prior to co-launching Urban Teacher Center, Christina focused on policy and practice inequities and improving instructional practice in the Baltimore City Public Schools as the Chief of Staff for the Chief Academic Officer. In this capacity, she managed the oversight of 200 schools and an $800 million operating budget. Christina has a B.A. from Boston College, a J.D. with honors from Suffolk University, and an M.Ed. in Education from Boston College. Christina is a proud graduate of public K-12 schools.
To watch other videos in the NewSchools Presents series go to http://www.newschools.org/entrepreneurs.
Learn more about Urban Teacher Center at http://urbanteachercenter.org/
Standard YouTube License
Next in NewSchools Presents: Education Entrepreneurs (2012)
- 6:35 Lesson 1 - Verb Tenses in English - Overviewby English with JenniferFeatured 124,029
- 1:46 NewSchools Presents: Daniel Jhin Yoo & Justin Su, Goalbookby nsvf 311 views
- 2:02 NewSchools Presents: Eric Westendorf & Alix Guerrier, LearnZillionby nsvf 1,284 views
- 2:01 NewSchools Presents: Simmons Lettre & Carrie Irvin, Charter Board Partnersby nsvf 574 views
- 8:38 Urban Teacher Education Programby Jay Shefsky 2,901 views
- 3:01 Digital Classroom Designby drgcicchetti 13,174 views
- 1:33 Breakup Psychology - How to Get Your Ex Back Using the Two "V's" - Get My Ex Back!by Michael Griswold 13,264 views
- 5:43 Jennifer Greene - Living with Metastatic Breast Cancerby Jennifer Greene 631 views
- 5:30 Generating Motivation To Change In Hypnosis - Nigel Hetheringtonby communicatingexcelle 127 views
- 5:25 IVMS-Socioeconomic Status, Race and Healthby RBGStreetScholar 4,926 views
- 6:12 Classroom management strategies - 5 classroom management strategies to get student attentionby Rob Plevin 17,485 views
- 1:03:33 Engaging Stakeholders in High School Improvement Effortsby NHSCenterMedia 629 views
- 28:29 Urban Schools - A Teacher's Perspectiveby The Urban Wall Street Project 4,196 views
- 9:40 Shane Dittmar - Sanderson High Variety Show 2011by Shane Dittmar 503 views
- 14:41 teaching in urban schoolsby unwedlion19 163 views
- 2:07 GenieTime Your Free Online Personal Assistantby Nicole Raymondi 14,221 views
- 1:22:13 GHR Forum 2011: The Role of Family, School and Society in the Age of Centenariansby ghrforum 203 views
- 7:18 Urban Teaching Practicum.movby CCULC 599 views
- 6:23 Problems Urban Teachers Faceby Emily 272 views