This video is unavailable.
ISRAEL INTERCEPTS GAZA Rockets Using "Iron Dome" MISSILE DEFENSE System
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 18, 2012
ISRAEL INTERCEPTS GAZA Rockets Using "Iron Dome" MISSILE DEFENSE System.
Israeli military says its "Iron Dome" defense system intercepted 13 rockets fired from Gaza on Wednesday in what appears to be retaliation for Israeli airstrikes that reportedly killed 10, including the commander of the Hamas military wing.
The Israeli military said the some 20 airstrikes were part of a major offensive dubbed "Operation Pillar of Defense," Reuters reports.
"All options are on the table. If necessary, the (Israeli military) is ready to initiate a ground operation in Gaza," it said.
Benjamin Netanyahu says Israel cannot tolerate continued rocket attacks against its citizens. In his first comments since Israel killed the commander of the Hamas military wing, Netanyahu said Israel is "prepared to expand the operation."
Hamas has responded with threats of retaliation.
"The occupation has opened the gates of hell," the armed wing of Hamas reportedly said.
"Israel has declared war on Gaza and they will bear the responsibility for the consequences," Islamic Jihad reportedly said.
Ahmad Jabari, the commander of military wing of Hamas, was the most senior Hamas official to be killed since the last war in Gaza ended in early 2009. He has long topped Israel's most-wanted list, blamed for a string of deadly attacks, including the kidnapping of Israeli soldier Gilad Schalit in 2006.
The offensive followed a weekend exchange of rocket fire from Gaza on southern Israel and Israeli airstrikes. Seven Palestinians were killed and several Israelis were wounded.
The military said its aircraft targeted more than 20 facilities that served as storage or launching sites for rockets. Among the weapons destroyed were rockets that could hit as far as 25 miles into Israel.
Plumes of black smoke wafted into Gaza City's skies following at least five airstrikes there. Sirens blared as people ran in panic in the streets and militants fired angrily into the air. Hamas police cordoned off the area around a hospital where at least one body from the strike was taken. It was draped in a white sheet, with a burnt leg poking out.
Gaza Health Minister Dr. Mufeed Mkhallalati said a total of 10 people were killed, including Jabari, and 45 wounded, 10 of them in critical condition. Among the dead were three civilians, including an 11-month-old and a 6-year-old.
Hamas announced a state of emergency in the territory. It evacuated all its security buildings.
Outside the hospital where Jabari's body was taken, Hamas official Khalil al-Haya eulogized the commander and threatened Israel.
"The battle between us and the occupation is open and it will end only with the liberation of Palestine and Jerusalem," he said.
Thousands of angry Gazans chanted "Retaliation" and "We want you to hit Tel Aviv tonight."
Witnesses said Jabari was traveling in a vehicle in Gaza City when the car exploded. Crowds of people and security personnel rushed to the scene of the strike, trying to put out the fire that had engulfed the car and left it a charred shell. The Israeli military released a grainy, black-and-white video of the airstrike. It shows a sedan moving slowly along a road before exploding in a powerful blast that sent a large piece of the car flying into the air.
"After a couple of days on ongoing rocket attacks toward Israeli civilians, the (Israeli military) chief of staff has authorized to open an operation against terror targets in the Gaza Strip," military spokeswoman Lt. Col. Avital Leibovitch said.
She said Jabari had "a lot of blood of his hands" and that the military chief "authorized different targets" as well.
Dovish Israeli lawmaker Dov Hanin condemned the killing.
"Assassinating leaders is never the solution. In place of the leaders killed, other will grow, and we will only get another cycle of fire and blood," he said.
The assassination threatened to further damage Israel's relations with Egypt, which is governed by Hamas' ideological counterpart, the Muslim Brotherhood.
TAGS: Hamas, open, war, indefinitely, Israel, Hamas, commander, Ahmed, Jabari, Israeli, airstrike, AFP, dangerous, crime, red lines, declaration, war, Palestinian, President, Mahmoud, Abbas, Arab, League, meeting, Mosques, Gaza, mourners, revenge, retaliation, Tel, Aviv, Shifa, hospital, child, killed, strikes, Red, Cross, wounded, rockets, Beersheba, Army, Radio, media, reports, Iron, Dome, missile, defense, system, tactic, resistance, suicide, attacks, Zionist, enemy, cowardly, Palestine, Jerusalem, liberated, war, crime, national, security, reelection, bid, RTGlobalReport
Standard YouTube License
- 1:26:55 The Truth on Israel Palestine Conflictby shroudofturinnewsFeatured 27,069
- 4:20 Hamas rockets vs Israel's Iron Dome - Truthloaderby Truthloader 340,863 views
- 3:44 Iron Dome - missile protection systemby Militarija 403,408 views
- 1:39 Israel's Iron Dome intercepts Hamas rocketsby AlJazeeraEnglish 17,701 views
- 1:16 Video: Scene of Gaza-Israel border shooting after IDF kills Palestinianby RussiaToday 143,614 views
- 5:19 Missile hits Israel During CNN live shot .by SevenMerkeeVids 11,879 views
- 2:59 Curious citizens overlook Iron Dome defense system Battery outside Tel Avivby Jposttv 16,891 views
- 1:45 35 Gaza Rockets Hit Israel After 6 Palestinians Are Killed - Missile Attackby MrViralNews 49,825 views
- 4:30 Israel's Advance Defence System - Iron Dome Defence System - HDby EleninNWO 2,146 views
- 1:36 Israel increases reservists and missile defenceby Euronews 26,611 views
- 1:29 Grad Missile Attack On Ashdod Israel From Gaza, March 10th, 2012by TheSpiritOfTruth 61,349 views
- 42:43 Gaza: Lo que Israel no queria que vieramos (2009-02-02)by codpal3 137,333 views
- 1:20 Israeli airforce continues to pound Gazaby Euronews 25,212 views
- 1:40 Iron Dome interception over Beershebaby Nivbarkai 9,725 views
- 1:25 Iron Dome Interception Above Tel-Aviv 11-17-2012by Dusco25 1,965 views
- 9:45 Al Jazeera reporters on Gaza-Israel conflictby AlJazeeraEnglish 21,189 views
- 0:58 Israel intercepts huge rocket attackby GlobalLeaks 7,074 views
- 2:09 Israel deploys "Iron Dome" missile defence system (CCTV)by NowForTruth 17,172 views
- 6:08 11.15.2012 Hamas Grad Rocket's Launched To Ashdod In Israel. "Iron Dome" Terminating Them In The Airby orielmano 8,946 views
- 0:23 Video: Massive explosion as Israel airstrikes Gazaby RussiaToday 116,064 views
- Loading more suggestions...