The Lammas Wickerman
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 24, 2011
Lammas is a Neo-Pagan holiday, often called Lughnasadh, celebrating the first harvest and the reaping of grain. It is a cross-quarter holiday halfway between the Summer Solstice (Litha) and the Autumnal Equinox (Mabon). In the northern hemisphere, Lammas takes place around August 1.
The wheat had run low before Lammas, and the new harvest began a season of plenty. Lammas also marked the end of the hay harvest that had begun after Midsummer, thus there was a spirit of celebration and thanksgiving..
The Wickerman film at Summersisle famously presents a certain view of this pagan festival. Sir James Frazer (incorrectly according to Ronald Hutton) cites John Barleycorn In The Golden Bough as proof of a Pagan cult in England that worshiped a god of vegetation, sacrificed to bring fertility to the fields.
Some see in this tradition echoes of human sacrifice as portrayed in The Wickerman film (1973), but that is not really what this time is about.
Whilst there was a Celtic ritual of dressing the last sheaf of corn to be harvested in fine clothes, or weaving it into a wicker-like man or woman, it was believed that the Sun 's spirit was trapped in the grain and needed to be set free by fire, so the effigy was burned. This tradition is thought by many to have been the origin of the misconception that Druids made human sacrifices, along with Julius Caesar's politically motivated accounts.
More details at my Blog The Dance Of Life here ( http://bit.ly/H8HOOA )
Grateful thanks to The Bard of Ely for permission to use his song I AM;
Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1 License
( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/s... )
The Bard of Ely's albums are avaliable from DMMG Records:
( http://dmmg.webs.com/ ) and at iTunes.
Royalty Free Music via Kevin MacLeod of incompetech.com;
Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0"
( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b... )
for use of Baltic Levity and Feral Chase.
Creative Commons Licenses Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0
Lammas poem c. + narrated by The Bard of Ely.
Welsh Translation by Gareth Owen
Rheolwr y Theatr / Theatre Manager, Theatr y Pafiliwn / Pavilion Theatre, Rhyl.
Gaia, co Enchantress Sao,
Hinterland Orkney co Tim Mersereau
Woodhenge, Madrigal co Julius Forwzy of The Druids of the Second Realm
As The Bard of Ely, Celestial Elf
Rowan Morrison, Sienna Panthar,
The Sergeant, rocketman Foxdale
The Fox Headed Pagan, Wicked2712 Bearsfoot
Many thanks to Laufey Markstein of Trident for providing;
Wicker Man, Apple Barrels-Crates, Hay Stack, Grains and Seeds sacks, Corn Rack, Druids Belt.
and to Fanda Ryba for the BwO bagpipes
Filmed on SecondLife via Phoenix 22.214.171.1248,
On Windows XP using Fraps and Serif MoviePlus X3.
Casting Coordinator Sienna Panthar,
Conceived, Directed and Produced by Celestial Elf 2011
Standard YouTube License
- 8:00 The Isle of Avalon - Glastonbury - The most powerful Place on Earth?by rickvanmanFeatured 19,872
- 10:50 The Celtic / Irish Gods and Goddesses [Part 2]by Celticlight1 11,369 views
- 5:23 The Witch's Sabbat - Lammas/Lughnasadhby MsJulieCarol 14,377 views
- 9:53 The Miracle of 528 Hz Solfeggio and Fibonacci numbersby BruineDwerg2012 1,131,119 views
- 6:50 Lammas / Lughnasadh Ideasby CharmingPixieFlora 7,543 views
- 1:22 Lughnasadh in 60 Seconds (05)by obod 6,503 views
- 8:48 BE AWARE (Pagan Holidays) Thanksgiving (Pt 1 of 2)by Teedy247 5,320 views
- 28:02 Kamal - Water Healing / Dreamcatcher / Heart Initiation (Shamanic Healing)by ketinadrealista 272,690 views
- 6:30 John Barleycorn Must Die - JOE WALSH (2007 Jim Capaldi Tribute)by EMILIOMARENGO 32,416 views
- 3:21 Arwen & Aragorn | Walk My Loveby Dlayney 13,017 views
- 8:30 Wiccan Music - "I Hear You Calling"by Neopagan2007 646,340 views
- 3:18 Simon Helberg Nicolas Cage impressionby jarvifin 52,292 views
- 7:25 Beltane Blessingby CelestialElf 9,557 views
- 4:22 Lisa Thiel - Lammas Songby Ephesius wicca 12,205 views
- 3:45 Lammas Oil / Incenseby CharmingPixieFlora 5,083 views
- 4:48 Eostre/Equinox (with Lisa Thiel) ~by CelestialElf 11,215 views
- 5:09 King Arthur's Summer Solsticeby CelestialElf 6,464 views
- 5:49 The Mermaid Queen - Lisa Thielby CelestialElf 103,747 views
- 7:04 The extremely eccentric Isaac Newton invents the Calculus and publishes the Principiaby AudibleSuperfan 25,585 views
- 57:29 Omnia - Pagan Folk Loreby paganfolkvideos 749,324 views
- Loading more suggestions...