Seattle University Student Commencement Speech - 2005
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 13, 2011
Camera battery died during the speech, so some part was lost. Here is the text version:
We embarked on a journey 4 years ago, on September 16, 2001, with 643 strong. Since then, we have been on a roller coaster ride of finding ourselves, creating relationships, bearing through triumphs and endeavors, and of course, studying.
Seattle University has committed to us, by educating the whole person, by preparing us for professional formation, and by empowering us to be leaders for a just and humane world. After today, many of us graduates will face financial debt like never before. If you thought credits were trouble, just wait until those student loans come through. At least the interest rates are more reasonable, but only if you act now before July 1st.
Meanwhile, in celebration of this joyous moment, allow me to share some reasons why your investment was worth every penny.
We all began college with one path.
We all began college, one week after a national tragedy.
We all began college with new dreams and aspirations.
We have witnessed the first war of this century.
We have witnessed the death and rise of a new pope.
We have witnessed ourselves grow.
We have heard a record number of sirens in a 4-years span.
We have heard harmonious sounds of SU choirs.
We have heard much knowledge and wisdom from our professors.
We have been touched by diversity.
We have been touched by those who inspired us.
We have been touched by compassion and insight of strangers.
We have learned the value of time (especially during finals week).
We have learned the value of money (especially during laundry week).
We have learned the value of social justice (especially when we hosted Tent City, when we were faced with those who are less fortunate).
We have made our wild spring break trips.
We have made phone calls home asking for money.
We have made procrastination a new major.
We have made lifelong friendships.
We have endured homesickness, bad exams, and broken hearts.
We have endured the loss of loved ones.
We have endured our 4 years in college.
We believe that our success is a product of our hard work and dedication.
We believe that relationships created will last a lifetime.
We believe that Seattle University has prepared us to face our future.
In our paths, we are different in our experiences, but we are bounded by the same mission and journey. Therefore, we are here together today, waiting to embrace our achievements before those who have supported us. Waiting to complete our roller coaster ride... (this is where the camera battery died).
We each carry our own story of joy and pain that make us who we are today. And trust me, your $78,105+ investment was no doubt a smart one. Because we are one priceless group of outstanding individuals.
With that I leave you with one quotation from Morrie Schwartz: "Be compassionate. Take responsibility for each other. If we only learned those lessons, this world would be so much a better place."
Standard YouTube License
- 9:28 Best Graduation Speech Everby jonnyboy103Featured 296,275
- 1:43 Kina Grannis Cover - The One You Say Goodnight To.m4vby Annie Katrina Lee 887 views
- 9:17 Joshua Bennett giving the graduation speech for the College of Arts and Sciences at UPennby Joshua Bennett 43,783 views
- 8:53 Claire Ayoub - Wellesley Commencement Speech 2011by Claire Ayoub 947 views
- 7:10 Seattle University Accepted Students Open House 2011by Annie Katrina Lee 21 views
- 4:27 Spoken word graduation speechby Nick Waters 29,998 views
- 17:55 Ellen at Tulane Commencement 2009by Tulane 273,843 views
- 5:22 Northeastern University Student Commencement Speakerby addictoftheenigmatic 5,734 views
- 5:47 Awesome Funny High School Graduation Speechby JustCallMeMrRight 680,546 views
- 5:00 Metropolitan College of New York Graduation 2011, Student Speaker Michael Frankby MetropolitanNYC 506 views
- 22:36 Penn's 2011 Commencement Address by Denzel Washingtonby UnivPennsylvania 490,559 views
- 8:59 2007 Pomona College Student Commencement Speechby cdssc47 6,254 views
- 6:58 Weatherhead Graduation Speechby whittman08 1,006 views
- 9:47 City University of Seattle's 2010 Commencement Student Speech by Reid Stell - Part Iby pismire911 781 views
- 9:57 Duke 2010 Student Commencement Addressby Duke University 1,476 views
- 8:18 Jennifer's Seattle University graduation感動製作by Chang Viona 224 views
- 7:18 The Best Graduation Speech EVER!by cjarnesen 712,779 views
- 3:46 Georgia Tech Student Commencement Speech 2012by Corbin Klett 11,260 views
- 26:32 Lisa Kudrow Commencement Address 2010by Vassar 661,883 views
- 23:45 Conan O'Brien's 2011 Dartmouth College Commencement Addressby teamcoco 1,518,452 views
- Loading more suggestions...