How to Mince Cilantro for Guacamole
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 2, 2011
How to Mince Cilantro for Guacamole - as part of the expert series by GeoBeats.
I am going to show you how to mince cilantro for your guacamole. The first thing you want to do, of course, is wash it. When you bring it home from the supermarket cilantro can have a lot of dirt on it. So you wash it in a sink and shake it off. And then you can store it in the refrigerator in a bunch of paper towels, that will keep it for about a week in the refrigerator in a plastic bag, and it will also help dry it. So now that I have got my cilantro out of the fridge and ready to go I am going to mince it.
The first thing I am going to do is get some of these leaves off the bunch and the easy way to do that is to take a sharp knife and just shave a few pieces off and it is okay to get some of those stems on them. These thin stems are not going to be a problem, what you want to avoid is getting some of these thicker parts at the bottom. Those parts are going to be a little woodier, these parts would be just fine. So now that I have got a bunch of cilantro I want to gather it together on my cutting board, and what I want to do is called mincing. Mincing is a type of knife cut that will result in a really small fine piece.
Now here is how you mince, I am going to gather up my pieces of cilantro and I am going to put the tip of my knife on my cutting board and my hand on top of the knife. And I am going to use that tip as a pivot point that is going to let me run my knife through it. After each time I pass through I am going to gather up the cilantro again and do the same thing. Gather it and chop it again. A tip about cutting herbs like this, you want to avoid cutting them to much because herbs have natural oils inside of them and if you cut them to much the oils will start to leak out and it will cause what is called bruising. You will actually start to see this bright vibrant green of the cilantro become a little duller brownish look and that means that a lot of the flavor as well as the bright color is starting to leak out of it.
What you want to do to avoid that is just make a few cuts and do not over press your knife into it, just get it nice and fine so that will work for guacamole. One tip about cilantro is that some people love cilantro but others absolutely hate it and there is a good reason for that. Turns out that some people are genetically predisposed to hating cilantro. Some people actually do not have a certain taste receptor in their mouths and cilantro can taste like dirt or soap. So the next time someone says 'I hate cilantro' you can understand that they are not just being picky, they might actually taste it differently than you. geobeats
Standard YouTube License
- 6:25 Homemade Guacamole Recipe - Laura Vitale - Laura in the Kitchen Episode 380by Laura in the Kitchen Featured 239,043
- 4:07 Cilantro Chelation - Cilantro chelation for heavy metal detoxby Live Bright and Healthy7,733 views
- 9:06 RECETA DE GUACAMOLE - COMO PREPARAR SALSA CON AGUACATE angycrisjaviby RICAS RECETAS ANGYCRISJAVI108,526 views
- 3:41 How To - chop an onion with Jamie Oliverby Jamie Oliver196,543 views
- 22:32 Martin Yan's Chinatowns - Reinventing Classics.aviby Freebase42121,703 views
- 22:53 Martin Yan's Chinatowns - Chinese Iron Chef, The.aviby Freebase421149,066 views
- 10:22 The Health Benefits of Gingerby HealingPowerHour2,267,402 views
- 15:32 Growing Ginger In Containers - Growing Spices & Everything Nice Series | Ep. 83by LilFrugalGardener219,227 views
- 4:23 How to grow CILANTRO CORIANDER from seeds (Dhania)by Cassy M.G17,843 views
- 9:00 Preserving Minced Garlic Inspiredby Linda's Pantry10,194 views
- 4:25 HOW TO REGROW HERBS FROM A SUPERMARKETby gregthegardener46,689 views
- 3:25 como hacer guacamole facil y rapidoby ANGY FLORES31,925 views
- 7:32 How to cut and tenderize beef, Martin Yan Part3by wywoo225111,171 views
- 7:34 Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe - Laura Vitale - Laura in the Kitchen Episode 288by Laura in the Kitchen747,419 views
- 10:08 Martin Yan - Quick & Easy (Sweet & Savory - Part 1)by kkwchu47,724 views
- 18:05 Ana Maria Brogui #32 - Como fazer Cebola do Outback + molhoby Ana Maria Brogui461,191 views
- 5:34 How to Make Yucca Fries - Easy Recipesby geobeats6,886 views
- 7:38 How to cut up variety of vegetables, Martin Yan Part2by wywoo22570,294 views
- 11:02 How to make Garlic Naan (Yeast Free) at home?by madhurasrecipe402,790 views
- 1:17 Fast Food - 3 - Garlic Prawns By Gordon Ramsayby David H580,273 views
- Loading more suggestions...