BBC Documentary: Steve Jobs - Billion Dollar Hippy
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 16, 2011
Steve Jobs Biography:
Broadly considered a brand that inspires fervour and defines cool consumerism, Apple has become one of the biggest corporations in the world, fuelled by game-changing products that tap into modern desires. Its leader, Steve Jobs, was a long-haired college dropout with infinite ambition, and an inspirational perfectionist with a bully's temper. A man of contradictions, he fused a Californian counterculture attitude and a mastery of the art of hype with explosive advances in computer technology.
Insiders including Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, the chairman who ousted Jobs from the company he founded, and Jobs' chief of software, tell extraordinary stories of the rise, fall and rise again of Apple with Steve Jobs at its helm.
With Stephen Fry, world wide web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee and branding guru Rita Clifton, Evan Davis decodes the formula that took Apple from suburban garage to global supremacy.
Steven Paul Jobs (February 24, 1955 -- October 5, 2011) was an American businessman and inventor widely recognized as a charismatic pioneer of the personal computer revolution. He was co-founder, chairman, and chief executive officer of Apple Inc. Jobs was co-founder and previously served as chief executive of Pixar Animation Studios; he became a member of the board of directors of The Walt Disney Company in 2006, following the acquisition of Pixar by Disney.
In the late 1970s, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak engineered one of the first commercially successful lines of personal computers, the Apple II series. Jobs directed its aesthetic design and marketing along with A.C. "Mike" Markkula, Jr. and others.
In the early 1980s, Jobs was among the first to see the commercial potential of Xerox PARC's mouse-driven graphical user interface, which led to the creation of the Apple Lisa (engineered by Ken Rothmuller and John Couch) and, one year later, of Apple employee Jef Raskin's Macintosh. After losing a power struggle with the board of directors in 1985, Jobs left Apple and founded NeXT, a computer platform development company specializing in the higher-education and business markets.
In 1986, he acquired the computer graphics division of Lucasfilm Ltd, which was spun off as Pixar Animation Studios. He was credited in Toy Story (1995) as an executive producer. He remained CEO and majority shareholder at 50.1 percent until its acquisition by The Walt Disney Company in 2006, making Jobs Disney's largest individual shareholder at seven percent and a member of Disney's Board of Directors.
In 1996, NeXT was acquired by Apple. The deal brought Jobs back to the company he co-founded, and provided Apple with the NeXTSTEP codebase, from which the Mac OS X was developed." Jobs was named Apple advisor in 1996, interim CEO in 1997, and CEO from 2000 until his resignation. He oversaw the development of the iMac, iTunes, iPod, iPhone, and iPad and the company's Apple Retail Stores.
In 2003, Jobs was diagnosed with a rare form of pancreatic cancer. Though it was initially treated, Jobs reported of a hormone imbalance, underwent a liver transplant in 2009, and appeared progressively thinner as his health declined. In August 2011, during his third medical leave, Jobs resigned as CEO, but continued to work for Apple as Chairman of the Board until his death.
On October 5, 2011, he died in his Palo Alto home, aged 56. His death certificate listed respiratory arrest as the immediate cause of death, with "metastatic pancreas neuroendocrine tumor" as the underlying cause. His occupation was listed as "entrepreneur" in the "high tech" business.
Standard YouTube License
- 59:00 Inside the Saudi Kingdom (BBC Documentary)by LearningChanneIFeatured 6,937,974
- 58:49 Welcome to India 2012 - Documentary (Episode 1 of 3) [HD 720p]by dotvenue 405,304 views
- 1:30:34 The Art of War Sun Tsu Full Documentary. (Educational).by mackdv 893,325 views
- 46:36 Underworld: Tijuana Cartel (Documentary)by n99999999999 2,265,790 views
- 58:56 Gypsy Child Thieves (BBC Documentary)by DocumentaryDudette 179,211 views
- BBC Worldwide 5,721 videos608K
- 58:53 Million Dollar Traders (Full Series 1 of 3)by 4xreview 482,989 views
- 48:03 Steve Jobs Documentary (full)by jdx7071 53,383 views
- 50:08 BBC Documentary Earth Under Waterby DocumentaryDesire 217,642 views
- 48:57 Nietzsche - Human, All Too Human (Full BBC Documentary)by Ronaldo Batista 403,413 views
- 58:44 BBC documentary - Birth of Israel - Birth of a Nationby brashrafi1 101,006 views
- 5:18 Steve Jobs Insult Responseby Mike Cane 2,071,282 views
- 46:54 DOCUMENTRY- WARREN BUFFETT THE WORLDS GREATEST MONEY MAKERby BELAIR2000 232,046 views
- 44:46 Inside The McDonalds Empireby Documentary Lovers 265,364 views
- 48:04 Albert Einstein- How I See the Worldby Nam Ngo 2,625,830 views
- 58:24 Why Do We Talk (BBC Documentary)by davemark07 81,990 views
- 39:27 History of Hatred Against Israel & Jews (6.1.11)by OmniChristianVids3 31,881 views
- 1:00:43 BBC Documentary - Stupidity "Full Movie"by MrSaunders2020 930,567 views
- 47:54 MegaQuake Could Hit North America - BBC (Full Documentary)by EQReporter 110,546 views
- 1:28:57 An Islamic History of Europe (full documentary; produced by BBC)by fazzamin 399,985 views
- 3:23 Wikileaks founder to CNN you should be ashamed, Larry you actually should be ashamed, as well."by paulboat67 248,384 views
- Loading more suggestions...