CONTROLLED MEDIA US Court On Fox News: Media Lying & Distortion Of News Not Against Law
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 9, 2012
How To Go To Heaven: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/how_to...
The Media Can Legally Lie
By Mike Gaddy
Writer for lewrockwell.com.
In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States.
Back in December of 1996, Jane Akre and her husband, Steve Wilson, were hired by FOX as a part of the Fox "Investigators" team at WTVT in Tampa Bay, Florida. In 1997 the team began work on a story about bovine growth hormone (BGH), a controversial substance manufactured by Monsanto Corporation. The couple produced a four-part series revealing that there were many health risks related to BGH and that Florida supermarket chains did little to avoid selling milk from cows treated with the hormone, despite assuring customers otherwise.
According to Akre and Wilson, the station was initially very excited about the series. But within a week, Fox executives and their attorneys wanted the reporters to use statements from Monsanto representatives that the reporters knew were false and to make other revisions to the story that were in direct conflict with the facts. Fox editors then tried to force Akre and Wilson to continue to produce the distorted story. When they refused and threatened to report Fox's actions to the FCC, they were both fired.(Project Censored #12 1997)
Akre and Wilson sued the Fox station and on August 18, 2000, a Florida jury unanimously decided that Akre was wrongfully fired by Fox Television when she refused to broadcast (in the jury's words) "a false, distorted or slanted story" about the widespread use of BGH in dairy cows. They further maintained that she deserved protection under Florida's whistle blower law. Akre was awarded a $425,000 settlement. Inexplicably, however, the court decided that Steve Wilson, her partner in the case, was ruled not wronged by the same actions taken by FOX.
FOX appealed the case, and on February 14, 2003 the Florida Second District Court of Appeals unanimously overturned the settlement awarded to Akre. The Court held that Akre's threat to report the station's actions to the FCC did not deserve protection under Florida's whistle blower statute, because Florida's whistle blower law states that an employer must violate an adopted "law, rule, or regulation." In a stunningly narrow interpretation of FCC rules, the Florida Appeals court claimed that the FCC policy against falsification of the news does not rise to the level of a "law, rule, or regulation," it was simply a "policy." Therefore, it is up to the station whether or not it wants to report honestly.
During their appeal, FOX asserted that there are no written rules against distorting news in the media. They argued that, under the First Amendment, broadcasters have the right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on public airwaves. Fox attorneys did not dispute Akre's claim that they pressured her to broadcast a false story, they simply maintained that it was their right to do so. After the appeal verdict WTVT general manager Bob Linger commented, "It's vindication for WTVT, and we're very pleased... It's the case we've been making for two years. She never had a legal claim."
UPDATE BY LIANE CASTEN: If we needed any more proof that we now live in an upside down world, the saga of Jane Akre, along with her husband, Steve Wilson, could not be more compelling.
Akre and Wilson won the first legal round. Akre was awarded $425,000 in a jury trial with well-crafted arguments for their wrongful termination as whistleblowers. And in the process, they also won the prestigious "Goldman Environmental" prize for their outstanding efforts. However, FOX turned around and appealed the verdict. This time, FOX won; the original verdict was overturned in the Appellate Court of Florida's Second District. The court implied there was no restriction against distorting the truth. Technically, there was no violation of the news distortion because the FCC's policy of news distortion does not have the weight of the law. Thus, said the court, Akre-Wilson never qualified as whistleblowers.
What is more appalling are the five major media outlets that filed briefs of Amici Curiae- or friend of FOX -- to support FOX's position: Belo Corporation, Cox Television, Inc., Gannett Co., Inc., Media General Operations, Inc., and Post-Newsweek Stations, Inc. These are major media players! Their statement, "The station argued that it simply wanted to ensure that a news story about a scientific controversy regarding a commercial product was present with fairness and balance, and to ensure that it had a sound defense to any potential defamation claim."
"Fairness and balance?" Monsanto hardly demonstrated "fairness and balance" when it threatened a
LINK FOR REST
Alex Jones Infowars PrisonPlanet Wayne Madsen Report Webster Tarpley Jesus Christ
Standard YouTube License
- 1:47:46 America: Freedom to Fascism - Full.by The Revolutionists United.Featured 73,743
- 57:36 Documentary on how the media lies to manipulate usby TheIndigoChild's channel 273,683 views
- 1:19:19 Discovery: how media lies documentary film - CNN FOX NEWS channel distorted contentsby AnalistReview 209,878 views
- 3:25 Daily Show Jon Stewart lists a few lies from Fox Newsby PSI240SX's channel 330,180 views
- 14:14 Jon Stewart speaking up against Controlled Mediaby greenafghan 83,895 views
- 10:21 Monsanto & Cancer Milk: FOX NEWS KILLS STORY & FIRES Reporters.by sowhtttt's channel 331,548 views
- 7:17 O'Reilly Completely Busted on His Liesby The Young Turks 606,703 views
- 2:24:04 The Corporationby TheAzureWhale 184,413 views
- 8:52 The media's manipulative influence over your morals.by stephz0r 213,295 views
- 5:16 General of all American Intelligence: 911 was a fraud!by Everything You Wanted the World To Be 382,153 views
- 10:01 FOX News Reporters Fired For Telling The Truthby YouTubReptilian 250,334 views
- 9:52 TRUTH about Lybia, Gadaffi & Western Media Liesby John Doe 59,045 views
- 3:34 Sandy Hook Media Lie: Reporter: "School Nurse said, Lanza Great Kindegarten teacher"by Sherrie QuestioningAll 7,817 views
- 10:01 Media Liesby Mindcrime1994 551 views
- 6:55 Bill O'Reilly Lies to Bill Maher on Fox News Misreporting Cost of Obama Trip to India?by LiberalViewer's Media and Political Analysis 1,639,125 views
- 4:42 Fox News Loses It: Claims 2012 Romney Jeep Lie Was Trueby David Pakman Show 10,340 views
- 3:43 Out-FOXed: Bill O'Reilly bites the RT bulletby RT 553,493 views
- 10:59 Charles Ramsey's Bitter And Vindictive Ex Tries To Shame Him In The Mediaby My hustle isn't a option,,it's mandatory 7,604 views
- 2:43 Ted Koppel: Fox News 'Bad for America'by McCain/Palin 2016 - believe it 304,002 views
- 24:45 ESAT Weekly News - DC May 19 2013 Ethiopiaby Ethiopian Satellite Television 15,869 views
- Loading more suggestions...