The ROI of User Experience with Dr. Susan Weinschenk
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 27, 2011
ROI of User Experience. Download a PDF poster of this animation http://www.humanfactors.com/ROIposter... -
About this video:
In this animated video Dr. Susan Weinschenk demonstrates how user centered design results in significant return on investment (ROI).
User experience is the science and art of designing a product like a website or a software application so that it's easy to use. So that it fits the expectation that the user has for it, and so that it meets business goals.
There's a whole methodology around designing a user experience, and sometimes people ask me is it worth it to do all that work to design a user experience?
So let's talk about the return on investment, or ROI, of doing user experience work.
IEEE is a professional organization that puts out reports and does research for programmers, developers, and engineers, and they put out an article called "Why Software Fails".
Here's some interesting data from that article.
They estimate that the amount of money that is spent worldwide in information technology is estimated at one trillion dollars a year. The percent of projects that are abandoned because they are hopelessly inadequate is up to 15 percent of all projects.
The percent of revenue that goes to the IT group is five percent of a company's total revenue and up to ten percent if it's a financial or telecommunications company.
The amount of time that programmers spend on rework that is actually avoidable is 50 percent of their time.
The cost of fixing an error after development is 100 times that of fixing an error before development of the project is completed.
Of the top 12 reasons that projects fail, three of the top 12 are directly related to what we would call user experience or user-centered design work, and those three are badly defined requirements; poor communication among customers, developers, and users; and stakeholder politics.
So the kind of work that, that user experience professionals give, stakeholder interviews, user research, user testing, user centered design.
These are all things that can fix at least three of those 12 reasons why software fails.
You actually can calculate the savings or additional revenue or benefit that you get from approving your user experience in the product.
Standard YouTube License
- 51:43 How To Become a UX Designerby HowToBecomeTVFeatured
- 5:31 6 Steps to Persuasive Design with Dr. Eric Schafferby HFIvideo 13,574 views
- 5:12 7 principles that make your website more engaging with Dr. Susan Weinschenkby HFIvideo 48,829 views
- 12:42 Don Norman: The three ways that good design makes you happyby TEDtalksDirector 97,500 views
- 5:08 Building Industrial Strength UX, with Dr. Eric Schafferby HFIvideo 7,407 views
- 1:39:20 Measuring Your User Experience Designby New York Technology Council 3,153 views
- 9:10 How to develop your career as a User Experience Practitionerby BesticaInc 5,552 views
- 10 videos Play all Animated UXby HFIvideo
- 3:57 Another perspective on SCRUMby cathandrewlewis 30,321 views
- 2:58 UX Enterprise, The Future of UX Work with Dr. Eric Schafferby HFIvideo 8,974 views
- 11:37 The Difference between Web Designer & UI/UX Designerby mlwebco 14,779 views
- 34:44 Understanding UX Designby PropertySolutions1 5,087 views
- 3:26 What is Marketing ROI? Explania.comby InstruxionAE 10,704 views
- 45:19 User Experience Design Process for Porduct Developmentby Techgig Moderator 3,138 views
- 4:56 Cross Cultural Design: Getting It Right the First Timeby HFIvideo 7,302 views
- 6:37 Tealeaf: Capturing the Complete User Experienceby viatealeaf 10,105 views
- 5:03 What is HCI?by axylone 16,089 views
- 2:57 Satisfy the Cat, a.k.a. User-Centered Designby Barleycorn55 24,533 views
- 30:02 UX Week 2010 | Dave Gray | Gamestorming: Design Practices for Co-creation and Engagementby adaptivepath 10,299 views
- 7:41 Example Usability Test with a Paper Prototypeby BlueDuckLabs 26,395 views
- 9:53 User Experience Design for Non-Designers (Part 1)by cravingsushi 4,409 views
- Loading more suggestions...