The ROI of User Experience with Dr. Susan Weinschenk
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 27, 2011
ROI of User Experience. Download a PDF poster of this animation http://www.humanfactors.com/ROIposter... -
About this video:
In this animated video Dr. Susan Weinschenk demonstrates how user centered design results in significant return on investment (ROI).
User experience is the science and art of designing a product like a website or a software application so that it's easy to use. So that it fits the expectation that the user has for it, and so that it meets business goals.
There's a whole methodology around designing a user experience, and sometimes people ask me is it worth it to do all that work to design a user experience?
So let's talk about the return on investment, or ROI, of doing user experience work.
IEEE is a professional organization that puts out reports and does research for programmers, developers, and engineers, and they put out an article called "Why Software Fails".
Here's some interesting data from that article.
They estimate that the amount of money that is spent worldwide in information technology is estimated at one trillion dollars a year. The percent of projects that are abandoned because they are hopelessly inadequate is up to 15 percent of all projects.
The percent of revenue that goes to the IT group is five percent of a company's total revenue and up to ten percent if it's a financial or telecommunications company.
The amount of time that programmers spend on rework that is actually avoidable is 50 percent of their time.
The cost of fixing an error after development is 100 times that of fixing an error before development of the project is completed.
Of the top 12 reasons that projects fail, three of the top 12 are directly related to what we would call user experience or user-centered design work, and those three are badly defined requirements; poor communication among customers, developers, and users; and stakeholder politics.
So the kind of work that, that user experience professionals give, stakeholder interviews, user research, user testing, user centered design.
These are all things that can fix at least three of those 12 reasons why software fails.
You actually can calculate the savings or additional revenue or benefit that you get from approving your user experience in the product.
Standard YouTube License
- 51:43 How To Become a UX Designerby HowToBecomeTV
- 47:09 Intro to User Experience Design: Rethinking the Design Processby CardinalPath20,608 views
- 6:10 5 Things Every Presenter Needs To Know About Peopleby Susan Weinschenk13,243 views
- 47:11 The Fundamentals of User Experienceby BitMethod Des Moines3,052 views
- 18:04 Like a Virgin: The Ultimate User Experience - Mashable Media Summit 2011by Mashable19,290 views
- 6:37 Tealeaf: Capturing the Complete User Experienceby viatealeaf11,883 views
- 10 videos Play all Animated UXby HFIvideo
- 51:20 User Interface (UX) Techniques - Janne Jul Jensenby GotoConferences14,006 views
- 6:27 How to Make a Cheap Lightboxby RestlessColour279,230 views
- 8:33 ROI Unlimited Conference, Syracuse NY 6/2011by TeamROIElite6,407 views
- 5:40 What the #$%@ is UX Design?by UX Mastery88,994 views
- 9:10 How to develop your career as a User Experience Practitionerby BesticaInc6,228 views
- 35:48 Marissa Mayer, VP Search Products and User Experience, Googleby UCBerkeleyEvents4,623 views
- 45:19 User Experience Design Process for Porduct Developmentby Techgig Moderator5,379 views
- 5:31 The Process of Persuasive Design in Six Steps with Dr. Eric Schafferby HFIvideo26,910 views
- 5:12 7 principles that make your website more engaging with Dr. Susan Weinschenkby HFIvideo62,554 views
- 58:07 Harvard i-lab | UX Design: An Introduction with Scout Stevensonby Harvard ilab6,110 views
- 11:10 The User Experience, and why its so Important for Web Design & Businessby mlwebco3,496 views
- 7:52 Usability is No Longer Enoughby HumanFactorsIntl10,491 views
- 7:41 Example Usability Test with a Paper Prototypeby BlueDuckLabs36,311 views