Cops Vs. Cameras: The Killing of Kelly Thomas & The Power of New Media
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 21, 2011
NOTE: Because of violent images, viewer discretion is advised.
The autopsy results from the death of Kelly Thomas, a schizophrenic drifter who was allegedly beaten to death by Fullerton, California police will be announced today by Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas.
Rackauckas will also announce whether he will file charges against the officers involved in Thomas' death, following the office's investigation. The confrontation with police took place at a municipal bus station on July 5, with Thomas dying in the hospital five days later. This press conference comes weeks after the Fullerton police refused to answer questions about the case.
Regardless of today's announcements, Thomas' death is a case study of how ubiquitous phones with cameras and the Internet are transferring power from the government, police, and the media to the masses. Images and word of the beating spread not because of official communications but by viral cell phone video of the incident and a horrific hospital photo taken by his father of Thomas in a coma.
After the photo and video were released, the Fullerton community reacted in outrage at city council meetings and at protests outside the Fullerton police department. Whatever charges are filed (or not) today, the death of Kelly Thomas will remain an example of how new media is changing the old guard.
Written and produced by Paul Detrick, who also narrates. Camera by Detrick, Alex Manning, and Zach Weissmueller. Special thanks to Ron Thomas.
About 8 minutes.
Go to http://reason.tv/video/show/2145 for a longer discussion, documentation, and related videos.
The Orange County District Attorney's Office has charged Officer Manuel Ramos with one felony count of second degree murder and one felony count of felony manslaughter.
Officer Jay Cicinelli faces one felony count of manslaughter and a felony count of excessive force.
For developing news on the Kelly Thomas case, visit http://www.fullertonsfuture.org/ .
Standard YouTube License
- 9:23 Hurting the Homelessby ABC News Featured 1,473,391
- 8:21 Justice for Kelly Thomasby AdamKokesh87,753 views
- 6:04 Orange County Murder Cops Defense Falls Flatby TheLipTV2,118 views
- 3:48 Police Tear Up Ticket After Being Filmedby Mike BlueHair252,651 views
- 3:14 Outraged Fullerton citizens react to Kelly Thomas beating tapeby ReasonTV41,214 views
- 37:10 Police Brutality Worse than Rodney King - The Robert Leone Storyby Larry Hohol1,666,660 views
- 2:35 Fullerton Mayor Richard Jones Makes Inflammatory Comments On The Beating Death of Kelly Thomasby AmericanNetworkNews13,529 views
- 46 videos Play all Kelly Thomas Murderby 44prot
- 8:26 The Government's War on Cameras!by ReasonTV218,339 views
- 3:11 Tyranny USA -- Unarmed Man Shot Dead By Police While Watering Neighbor's Lawnby PSYWARORDER540,646 views
- 17:53 2 Fullerton California Cops Charged For The Brutal Murder Of Kelly Thomasby gking100011,207 views
- 4:06 Officer Rivieri Fired!by Young Based God682,865 views
- 2:54 Executed Man Calls Cop B*tch Executed Immediately -- Shocking Video Police Stateby Ufo Smith255,976 views
- 14:38 Wild Police Chase - South Los Angeles, CA - April 30, 2013by LocalNewsVideo1,368,933 views
- 2:51 Cops Shoots Unarmed Woman Motorist To Death For Rolling Up Her Car Windowby xBehindthetruthx1,787,456 views
- 16:40 Penn Jillette on God, No!, Atheism, Libertarianism, & Moreby ReasonTV258,834 views
- 17:53 OCTA Raw Footage (Enhanced) of the Kelly Thomas Beating Witnessesby friendsforfullerton16,745 views
- 10:19 Lady Lawyer Educates, Owns Bensalem, PA Copby SHARK220,219 views
- 2:50 Kelly Thomas Surveillance Video Revealed in Courtby GardenGroveTV317,234 views
- 29:05 Kelly Thomas Medical Records, September 7, 2011by friendsforfullerton6,266 views