What Did the Peabody Energy Company Do To American Consumers?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 20, 2012
Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) today took to the House Floor to defend 2.5 million ratepayers in 217 communities across the Midwest who are overpaying for electricity thanks to bad deal with the Peabody Energy Company.
Peabody Energy Corporation convinced nine regional power agencies to become partial owners of a new coal plant in Southern Illinois. The deals specified that the municipalities could get stuck funding the plant even if it never produced electricity. After foreseeable and preventable cost overruns and subpar performance, ratepayers are now forced to buy electricity from the coal plant even though the cost of energy on the open market is much cheaper.
"Did Peabody Energy Company deliberately unload a bad investment on public power organizations serving 217 cities and villages across the Midwest? Congress must find out because Peabody Energy lured public power organizations into contracts that force municipal utilities to pay up to twice the market rate for electricity.
"At a time when private funding could not be had for new coal powered utilities, Peabody Energy unloaded 95% of its investment onto public power customers in what became an almost triple cost overrun, a coalmine that lasts 22 years instead of the 30 years promised, and an ashfill that was supposed to last 23 years and will last only 12-14 years.
"The contract which municipals are tied into forces them to pay for power 42% above the market rate, whether the plant is producing energy or not. Billions of dollars were issued for bond financing for the project and utility customers are vulnerable to huge costs for debt retirement. Wall Street wouldn't invest in the project, so Peabody went to Main Street, and now millions of public power customers will pay sky high electric rates..."
Standard YouTube License
- 5:34 "Green" Investor Dumbfounded When Asked About Coal by Former Soviet Citizenby Vladimir JaffeFeatured 7,262
- 9:54 Part 2by DJKucinich 1,147 views
- 1:18 Kucinich Calls Out Monsanto: Americans Demand GMO Labelingby DJKucinich 52,813 views
- 16:11 Kucinich Addresses Coalition of Anti Nuclear Activistsby DJKucinich 807 views
- 8:02 Part 3by DJKucinich 330 views
- 1:51:00 Fraudulent Letters Opposing Clean Energy Legislation (Part 1 of 2)by HouseResourceOrg 1,309 views
- 5:25 11 YRS OLD EXPOSES MONSANTO AND TELLS MONSANTO WHERE THEY CAN SHOVE IT .. BRAVE CHILD.by renagade12 628,499 views
- 10:00 Peabody Coal Company - Sinclair Surface Mineby AviationPhotogBNA 11,501 views
- 3:57 Stripping shovel and dragline working togetherby 1bad55chev 114,375 views
- 10:00 Bucyrus Erie 3850-B Power Shovel (Peabody Coal Co. - Sinclair Surface Mine) "Big Hog"by AviationPhotogBNA 53,885 views
- 10:04 Bucyrus 495HR Minning Shovelby kwbushtrucker 12,751 views
- 11:57 Bucyrus Erie E2 draglineby stoomwals22 6,086 views
- 1:18 Dennis Kucinich: Govt is Selling the American people to the Highest Bidderby djgabrielpresents 500 views
- 5:57 Dennis Kucinich yields to Ron Paul. Both party's freedom fighters speak against Iran sanctions.by SergeantPepper99 1,387 views
- 8:02 Bucyrus 495HR loading Liebherr T282-B'sby vantagetes 18,550 views
- 0:58 Dragline Accidentby JutMart 66,400 views
- 9:52 THE SILVER SPADE IN 2005by bennettshovel 23,905 views
- 2:19 William Burroughs: Advice for Young Peopleby KingHotPants 123,667 views
- 7:13 P&H 4100 XPB Electric Shovel Loading Liebherr And Caterpillar Haul Trucksby espeescotty 5,832 views
- 5:05 Prairie State - A New Generation of Coal Plantsby MissouriMPUA 2,395 views
- Loading more suggestions...