This video is unavailable.
Mainstreaming Psychedelics: From FDA to Harvard to Burning Man
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 18, 2009
Google Tech Talk
November 17, 2009
Presented by Rick Doblin, Ph.D., Executive Director MAPS.
We're now in the midst of a worldwide renaissance in psychedelic research, after decades of political suppression. Scientists from around the world will present their new findings at the largest psychedelic conference to take place in the US in 17 years, on April 15-18, 2010, in San Jose, CA (http://www.maps.org/conference/ ). Even media reports, which usually mention in passing the widespread use of psychedelics by the counterculture in the 1960s, are more hopeful than alarming. In this talk, we'll review the factors which led to the backlash and the lessons to be learned, discuss how the FDA opened the door to research around the world, how the ghost of Timothy Leary was buried at Harvard, and how Burning Man struggles to respond to people who have difficult psychedelic experiences. We'll conclude by explaining how non-profit drug development, initially of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for postraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), can transform psychedelics into FDA-approved prescription medicines and can lay the groundwork for the successful, long-term integration of psychedelics into the mainstream of medicine, religion, art, creativity, and celebration.
Rick founded MAPS in 1986. His dissertation [http://www.maps.org/dissertation/] (Public Policy, Harvards Kennedy School of Government) was on "The Regulation of the Medical Use of Psychedelics and Marijuana," and his masters thesis [http://www.maps.org/docs/doblin-mt.html] (Harvard) focused on the attitudes and experiences of oncologists concerning the medical use of marijuana. His undergraduate thesis [http://www.maps.org/research/cluster/...] (New College of Florida) was a twenty-five year follow-up to the classic Good Friday Experiment [http://www.maps.org/books/pahnke/inde...], which evaluated the potential of psychedelic drugs to catalyze religious experiences. He has also conducted a thirty-four year follow-up study to Tim Learys Concord Prison experiment [http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v09n...].
Rick studied with Stan Grof, M.D., and was in the first group to become certified as holotropic breathwork practitioners. His professional goal is to help develop legal contexts for the beneficial uses of psychedelics and marijuana, primarily as prescription medicines but also for personal growth for otherwise "healthy" people, and to also become a legally licensed psychedelic therapist. He resides in Boston with his wife and three children.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:02 The Truth About Your Pineal Glandby TruthzonetvcomFeatured 194,051
- 1:37:42 The Extended Mind: Recent Experimental Evidenceby GoogleTechTalks 306,348 views
- 1:03:42 Nutrients for Better Mental Performanceby GoogleTechTalks 162,695 views
- 51:05 The Truth About Your Foodby GoogleTechTalks 19,537 views
- 1:05:21 Transform Your Mind, Change Your Brainby GoogleTechTalks 533,993 views
- 1:06:49 Rick Doblin: Will Psychedelic Medicine Transform Culture?by MAPS 4,169 views
- 11:30 Psychedelics And Consciousness [Jason Silva, Terence McKenna, Graham Hancock, Joe Rogan]by TheOmegaPointProject 66,698 views
- 7:08 The FDA Conspiracy & Bleached Flour, Austin Nutritionby psychetruth 41,550 views
- 10 videos Play all Daniel Dennett - Harvard Distinguished Lecture Seriesby WarOnYourMind
- 2:02:29 Manifesting the Mind: Footprints of the Shaman (2009) [Full Documentary]by Awakened Indigo 99,047 views
- 6:11 Opie and Anthony: Joe Rogan and His Theory on Mushroomsby OhUnclePaul 52,038 views
- 9:18 The Most IMPORTANT Video You'll Ever See (part 1 of 8)by wonderingmind42 4,897,145 views
- 7:07 Timothy Leary - Religion of Intelligenceby sp0nge01 41,487 views
- 5:27 Terence Mckenna being psychedelic in this societyby planetunion 4,727 views
- 4:38 Harvard Economist on why marijuana should be legalizedby truehigh 129,827 views
- 4:23 NIBIRU - explained by Joe Roganby newagenow2009 158,263 views
- 20:28 Music and the Psychedelic Mindby pitchforktv 118,678 views
- 2:06 Ein Hammer Demonstration for Burning Man 2010by misterjellyfish 20,540 views
- 1:10:14 Tech Talk: Linus Torvalds on gitby Google 1,122,943 views
- 28:56 Timothy Leary - How to Operate Your Brainby TheRugDoctor 494,935 views
- 27:54 Present! - Psychedelic Science in the 21st Centuryby KMVT 600 views
- Loading more suggestions...