Lockheed Martin - K-MAX Unmanned Helicopter Cargo Resupply Operations In Afghanistan [720p]
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 28, 2012
OWEGO, N.Y., October 5, 2011 --
The Marine Corps will deploy the Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] and Kaman [NASDAQ-GS: KAMN] unmanned K-MAX® to Afghanistan next month.
The decision follows the successful completion of a five-day Quick Reaction Assessment for the U.S. Navy's Cargo Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) program. A formal report, released last week by Commander Operational Test and Evaluation Force, confirmed that the unmanned K-MAX exceeded the Navy and Marines' requirement to deliver 6,000 pounds of cargo per day.
"This announcement underscores K-MAX's strong performance and the strength of the Lockheed Martin/Kaman team," said Dan Spoor, vice president of Aviation Systems in Lockheed Martin's Mission Systems & Sensors. "We are fully prepared to deploy our system and augment Marine Corps ground and air logistics in Afghanistan."
K-MAX will be the Navy's first-ever cargo unmanned aircraft system to deploy in an operational environment. The deploying team recently concluded training and flight tests at its base in Twenty-nine Palms, Calif., and is currently preparing the aircraft for shipment into theater. The team consists of active duty mission commanders, air vehicle operators and Lockheed Martin employees.
"I am very confident in both the team and the K-MAX UAS to successfully perform their missions while deployed," said Rear Admiral Bill Shannon, Program Executive Officer for Unmanned Aviation and Strike Weapons. "K-MAX has the capability to quickly deliver cargo, thus getting troops off the roads and allowing them to focus on other missions."
"We are extremely honored to have been selected for deployment by the Navy," said Sal Bordonaro, division president at Kaman Helicopters. "We are committed to providing the Marine Corps with the life-saving unmanned capability of our proven airframe, reducing the risk to our forces by taking the cargo resupply mission from the ground to the air."
Since partnering in 2007, Lockheed Martin and Kaman Aerospace have successfully transformed Kaman's proven K-MAX power-lift manned helicopter into a UAS capable of autonomous or remote controlled cargo delivery.
Kaman designed the K-MAX platform, and Lockheed Martin has designed the helicopter's mission management and control systems to provide the K-MAX with exceptional flight autonomy in remote environments and over long distances.
Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin is a global security company that employs about 126,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. The Corporation's 2010 sales from continuing operations were $45.8 billion.
Kaman Helicopters is a division of Kaman Aerospace Corporation, a subsidiary of Kaman Corporation. Founded in 1945 by aviation pioneer Charles H. Kaman, and headquartered in Bloomfield, Connecticut, the Company conducts business in the aerospace and industrial distribution markets.
Standard YouTube License
- 18:10 EEVblog #247 - Anti Static Bag Myth Revistedby EEVblog Featured 47,499
- 22:23 Drone On: the Future of UAV Over the USby MotherboardTV636,836 views
- 3:35 Lockheed Martin - Space Fence : Watching Over Us [1080p]by arronlee3311,427 views
- 4:40 ROTEX HELICOPTER AGby simi lang8,088 views
- 2:44 Lockheed Martin - HIMARS Firing GMLRS At Fort Riley [1080p]by arronlee3313,465 views
- 2:43 K-MAX Unmanned helicopter makes first delivery (SLIDESHOW)by MilitaryNotes7,111 views
- 1:49 Lockheed Martin & Kaman Aerospace - K-MAX® Unmanned Aircraft System [720p]by arronlee336,297 views
- 11:01 Helicopter Kaman K-Max 1200 und Lama SA 315 Bby MrPupau862 views
- 8:47 WATSONVILLE 2008 KAMAN K MAX HELICOPTERby Donald Von Raesfeld4,816 views
- 5:55 Kaman 1200 Helicopter Working Fireby NelsonStudios1,770 views
- 2:30 K-MAX Unmanned helicopter first combat delivery in Afghanistanby MilitaryNotes24,465 views
- 9:50 Hoquiam Helicopter Loggingby cutmetal5,319 views
- 4:09 Kmax Helicopter Setting A Steel Power Poleby MJBlythman5,162 views
- 9:20 KAMAN K-MAX1200 Eng-Startup&Hovercheck vol.1by chippydesu26,112 views
- 3:22 Lockheed Martin - P-791 Hybrid Aircraft [480p]by arronlee33102,837 views
- 44:23 Battle Stations - FA-22 Raptorby lord lucan1,434,245 views
- 2:34 Lockheed Martin - Air and Missile Defense Radar S-Band (AMDR-S) Digital Array Radar [720p]by arronlee3333,422 views
- 4:22 UralVagon Zavod - T-90MS Main Battle Tank [1080p]by arronlee336,046 views
- 2:44 k-maxby detha12345678997,251 views
- 8:40 Red Thunder Helo Opsby UNLNavalROTC1,277 views
- Loading more suggestions...