This video is unavailable.
Tutorial: How to File the Edge off a MacBook Pro
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 10, 2010
The complete story behind this video can be found at http://OneMansBlog.com/MacBookPro
Follow me on Twitter for notifications of new releases: http://twitter.com/johnpoz
Oh, for all those who are worried about removing the anodized finish, don't. I did this 6 months ago, and there is no "black stuff"or any other sort of residual. (AKA - My sleeves aren't dirty.) The people claiming that this will remove the anodized finish and make your laptop look bad are, quite frankly, talking out their ass. Or they are idiots. Either way, they are wrong.
Folks I'm a trained welder, blacksmith and bladesmith. I've got hunks of aluminum in my garage that I machine on my milling machine, cut on my CNC plasma cutting machine, and weld on my big ass Lincoln TIG welder. In other words, I'm experienced at working with Aluminum.
This tiny amount of area is not going to get exposed to a harsh environment because your laptop can't take it! Plus, the oil from your skin rubbing in this are will actually keep that small area further protected.
Note that I used a file and did this by hand. That is because the file removes metal as shavings - not dust. I would highly NOT recommend doing this with sandpaper or another abrasive. As you can see from the video the shavings are too big to become airborne and can be swept right up.
Also, for those who are listening to the other camp of idiots who claim that damage could come to your motherboard from getting shavings on it, know this: THERE IS ZERO CHANCE OF GETTING SHAVINGS ON THE MOTHERBOARD. Use your head people.
Finally, turn your machine off. I ONLY left mine on so people would not think this was a hoax. YES, I really did this to my MBP. And yes, I can afford it if I broke it. So guess what, I took the risk so you don't have to wonder if it can be done. Not the first time I've done something like this, nor will it be the last.
So, you've got two choices if your bothered by the sharp edge on your MacBook.
1) Listen to the guy who did it and had zero negative consequences.
2) Listen to people who did NOT do it, but who have a desperate need to sound like a metallurgist or some sort of authority despite their lack of hands on experience.
Caio! - John P.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:53 Power Hammer Demonstrationby John PozadzidesFeatured 140,797
- 3:34 iColours.ca - Macbook Pro Installation Tutorialby mahagedorn 62,837 views
- 6:58 Unboxing of Stupid Macbook Airby I1hate1the1Air 1,282,781 views
- 7:24 SGP Carbon MacBook Pro Skinby Bill Stebbins 317,823 views
- 23:21 A PC Users's Tutorial to Using a Mac, Tips&Tricks, Apple Macby Daniel R. Odio 81,507 views
- 10:06 MacBook Pro Review Part 1: Mac OS X Basics - by TechAtom.comby notion2 34,543 views
- MacBook Pro 57,395 videos1K
- 5:00 How to make a Smackbookby mushirhoda 29,787 views
- 8:19 Installing Windows on Macbook Pro 13 inch (Bootcamp tutorial) Part 1by LACK78 129,919 views
- 6:47 Cleaning Your MacBook Proby MelonManMedia 119,609 views
- 7:01 Woopra iPhone App Previewby John Pozadzides 2,514 views
- 6:10 Switching from PC to Mac is Easy with this Tutorialby davecoffinmusic 114,956 views
- 7:20 MacBook Mod Project - Combining black and whiteby JeMaAlNa 8,740 views
- 8:10 13" MacBook Pro Unibody Glass Removal and LCD Replacement Part 1by smalldogelectronics 175,967 views
- 9:03 Top 10 Mac Terminal Hacksby calaman1234 97,595 views
- 8:51 How to Install a 13.3" MacBook LCD Screen - Tutorial by iResQby iresqvideo 58,525 views
- 7:37 cool things you can do with a macbookby themacgeek07 50,500 views
- 3:53 A Basic Mac Tutorial - Moving to a Macby Misha Ulmet 213,957 views
- 8:46 How to Remove the Macbook Unibody Glass LCD Displayby PowerbookMedic 98,051 views
- 0:37 Macbook Pro trick 1by snogger6 18,279 views
- 35:50 How to remove and clean Macbook Pro keyboard keysby Tim Valenta 80,946 views
- Loading more suggestions...