Video: CAIR Stands with Sikhs After Wis. Shootings
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 5, 2012
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 8/5/12) --- The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said today that American Muslims "stand with their Sikh brothers and sisters" following a deadly shooting attack targeting a house of worship of that faith this morning in Wisconsin.
SEE: Gunman, Six Others Dead at Wisconsin Sikh Temple
In a statement, the Washington-based Muslim civil rights organization said:
"While details of the attack and the motivation of the attacker are still emerging, American Muslims stand with their Sikh brothers and sisters in this time of crisis and loss. We condemn this senseless act of violence, pray for those who were killed or injured and offer sincere condolences to their loved ones."
CAIR officials are in contact with the Milwaukee Muslim community as it offers support to its Sikh neighbors.
Because of this and other violent incidents, CAIR is urging mosques and houses of worship of all faiths nationwide to review advice on security procedures contained in its "Muslim Community Safety Kit."
SEE: Muslim Community Safety Kit
CAIR: Mosque Attacks Common Nationwide
CAIR has in the past spoken out against bias-motivated attacks on American Sikhs. [NOTE: Sikh men who wear beards and turbans as part of their faith are often targeted by bigots who mistake them for Muslims.]
Last year, CAIR offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individual or individuals who gunned down two elderly Sikh men in Elk Grove, Calif.
SEE: Muslim Civil Rights Group Offers Reward for Info on Gunman in Deadly Shooting
CAIR: Muslim Organization Offers Reward
In 2010, CAIR called for an FBI investigation of an attack on a Sikh cab driver in West Sacramento, Calif. The driver said his passengers made anti-Muslim remarks during the attack. Two men were later arrested on charges of felony assault and commission of a hate crime.
CAIR is America's largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
Become a Fan of CAIR on Facebook
Subscribe to CAIR's E-Mail List
Subscribe to CAIR's Twitter Feed
Subscribe to CAIR's YouTube Channel
- END -
CONTACT: CAIR National Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper, 202-744-7726, E-Mail:firstname.lastname@example.org; CAIR Communications Manager Amina Rubin, 202-488-8787, 202-341-4171, E-Mail: email@example.com
Standard YouTube License
- 6:50 Who are the Sikhs?by wingwaabuddhaFeatured 71,004
- 1:35 Video: CAIR Offers $10K Reward for Info on Mo. Mosque Fireby CAIRtv 774 views
- 0:36 Video: CAIR Seeks Hate Crime Probe of Attack on Sikh in Calif.by CAIRtv 1,662 views
- 3:47 Video: CAIR Asks U.S. Mosques to Reach Out During Ramadanby CAIRtv 255 views
- 4:10 Audio: CAIR Rep in NPR 'Morning Edition' Report on Romney's Mideast Commentsby CAIRtv 200 views
- 11:23 Sikh Temple Shooting Fears in Community With Deep Roots in Wisconsin and Across U.Sby GeneratorJun 856 views
- 15:42 Sikh Temple Shooting Police Chief John Edwards Statement 8-5-2012by Tuck Fheman 268 views
- 3:52 Dumb Liberal Hippies Don't Know Why They're Protestingby revolutionactivist 416,038 views
- 29:40 Mark of the Beast Connection To Islam?by hawkwarrior7 30,317 views
- 1:54 Gurudwara shooting: Obama 'deeply saddened' by the killing at Sikh templeby ABP NEWS 3,581 views
- 11:54 Our Interracial Relationship: 1 year updateby sasharaye14 7,392 views
- 3:48 Seattle-Area Sikhs, Residents Hold Vigil to Honor Wisconsin Shooting Victimsby GigHarborPatch 348 views
- 3:49 US Jewish, Sikh Communities Closer after Shooting at Wisconsin Temple: Joint Candlelight Vigilsby JewishNewsOne 606 views
- 2:23:03 "Unrest in Turkey" CNN International 11.6.2013 #occupyGezi #Amanpourby jimithekewl vid 9,639 views
- 1:29 Who was behind Wisconsin Gurdwara shooting?by ABP NEWS 1,054 views
- 3:20:56 The Alex Jones Show - Thursday, June 13, 2013 (Full Show): Anthony Shaffer, Hamid Gulby TheLibertydefined 13,761 views
- 4:36 VEDA Day 2: My Beach Trip & Wisconsin Sikh Temple Shootingby TheNotoriousBarb 557 views
- 4:16 Shooting at Gurudwara in Oak Creek, Wisconsin: Senseless and Inhumanby 2WardsABetterWorld 743 views
- 14:54 GSMS Truth Official: Granthi Singh kicked and physicaly abused from sikh temple Aubran,waby gurudwara sacha marag 1,549 views
- 2:28 Evidence suggests US gurudwara shooting a hate crimeby ibnlive 1,675 views
- Loading more suggestions...