U.S. Blues (encore) - Grateful Dead - 4-12-1978 - Duke Univ, Durham, NC set2-10
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 2, 2011
I know, ALREADY POSTED, but I think this is subjective "UPGRADE". I essentially went to the essentials : cutting out a LOT of "dead air" ...
This was a show that, when I was younger (at the time in 1978, 1979...), I simply disregarded. It sounded good but, I admit, the damn "setlist" was just so hum-hum boring. I had lived through too many Estimated ... Eyes ... Wharf Rat (or worse, Black Peter) ... Around² and US Blues (encores) that I just left it on the shelves. It's true though that, after the wild and creative 1977 shows, 1978 was surprisingly conservative in those song selections. I mean gone were the Help - Slip - Franklin's, the Terrapins, Comes a Time, Dancin', Uncle John's among many others ...
However, one recent day, I finally sat down to LISTEN to this and notably the set two jam. It is ROCKIN' !
Of course, I did some editing : cropping and contrast adjustments with some usual added visuals ...
LoloYodel uploads (of this show) :
Jack Straw : yes, I added Phil's "turn down the lights" banter here (actually done after Dire Wolf) ... but I liked to put it here ! Otherwise, Jerry's mic wasn't working at the start of this tune. It's rockin' !
Peggy-O : One of the damn best, heart felt, versions of this sweet tune ever !!
Lazy Lightnin' : as always, Lightning (ends set one) !
Very cool start of the seemless jam of Set Two. Keith wandering around, talking to Bobby and at 1:00, a "team meeting" with Jerry, Bob & Phil. Phil goofs around, makes rabbit ears, Jerry explains the serpent ...
Estimated : straight forward, well executed (as numerous played through '77 & '78...)
Eyes : In addition to this rendition being particularly sweet (with a 4 minute intro), lively & strong, I believe that this "Eyes" is the ONLY video version between October 1974 and ... ? ... Hampton 1989 !?! (excluding the 1976 Soundtrack which is only partial). Beyond that, this rendition is an extraordinary or "historic" example of The Grateful Dead at the very finest !!!
"Jerry drums" : what were in those college brownies back-stage during the drum-break ? or was it the powdered sugar ? That's Jerry sittin' pretty, in the back (right), tapping on some calypso drums "thump-thumpitying" away... then comes out some goofball (invited by Kreutzmann) with two tin pans !? ... that was the Grateful Dead !!
Truckin' : Phil, at song's start, comes triumphantly up to the central mic, jovially, stomping his big-ass legs and wide grin ... otherwise Bobby fumbles up a lyric but the electricity is there ! Watch the end (out jam) at 7:15 to 7:30 with both Jerry & Bobby doing huge windmills ! Billy Kreutzmann throws up his drum sticks ! Cool !
Wharf Rat : thorough and serene.
Around² : thorough set-end rocker.
US Blues : Weir pulls out a hunter's whistle ... the song starts, Garcia is bouncing all around and, at 1:10, waving his hand, rolls out a big 'ol "I'm Uncle Sam, how do you do ?" !!! Garcia is ALL over this tune, digging it thoroughly !!!
Estimated Prophet ~
Eyes Of The World ~
"jerry drums" ~
Wharf Rat ~
Around & Around
encore : US Blues
Standard YouTube License
- 45 videos Play all YouTube Mix - U.S. Blues (encore) - Grateful Dead - 4-12-1978 - Duke Univ, Durham, NC set2-10
- 1:19:48 The Grateful Dead 12/31/1978 set 1 Closing of winterlandby jamman656555,790 views
- 9:08 Sugar Magnolia - Grateful Dead - 11-24-1978 Passaic, NJ (NEW)by LoloYodel22,740 views
- 8:28 Peggy-O - Grateful Dead - 4-12-1978 - Duke Univ, Durham, NC set1-04by LoloYodel12,613 views
- 11:43 "Jerry drums" - Grateful Dead - 4-12-1978 - Duke Univ, Durham, NC set2-06by LoloYodel3,937 views
- 12:24 Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station 12-31-78by lndifference86,705 views
- 5:43 Grateful Dead - U.S. Blues 1989by thepitts34634,585 views
- 44:58 Grateful Dead - Estimated Prophet / Eyes Of The World / St. Stephen / Sugar Magnolia 12/30/77by Bill Gray42,728 views
- 5:17 Grateful Dead - U.S. Blues 1989by thepitts34635,214 views
- 3:43:54 a whole dead show................ view from the vaultby drivingproblems179,629 views
- 10:42 Werewolves of London ☮ Grateful Dead, 4/19/78by chasefukuoka6176,900 views
- 6:52 Grateful Dead Perform 1st "Loose Lucy" in 16 years 3/14/90 (and its a good one)by Tito Garcia85,620 views
- 30:52 Grateful Dead ~ Dark Star/Spanish Jam/U.S Blues [HS MATRIX} ~ 6-23-1974 ~ Miami Jai-Alai Frontonby Klytus Fentree10,404 views
- 8:29 Truckin' - Grateful Dead - 4-12-1978 - Duke Univ, Durham, NC set2-07by LoloYodel4,145 views
- 9:03 Grateful Dead~ "BirdSong" 07.26.87 Anaheim Stadium CAby EvacuateTrailer14,390 views
- 7:03 Grateful Dead - Bertha - 9/30/89 (Pro-Shot)by taste4phree57,330 views
- 9:47 Grateful Dead - Truckin' 1980 [HD]by thepitts346364,938 views
- 4:52 Ron Burgundy's Prison Riot Survival Tipsby Team Coco740,250 views
- 28:05 Grateful Dead - Help/Slip/Frank - 06/14/76by johnny57637538,728 views
- 3:00:35 Grateful Dead 4-12-78 Cameron Indoor Stadium Durham NCby Voodoonola228,436 views