Terri Lyne Carrington - Money Jungle: Provocative In Blue
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 17, 2013
TLC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TerriLyneCarr...
Order on Amazon: http://smarturl.it/MoneyJungle
GRAMMY® WINNER TERRI LYNE CARRINGTON PAYS HOMAGE TO DUKE ELLINGTON'S MONEY JUNGLE
Money Jungle: Provocative in Blue marks 50th anniversary of release of historic Ellington-Mingus-Roach recording
Featuring Gerald Clayton and Christian McBride, with guests Clark Terry, Lizz Wright, Herbie Hancock and others
In 1962, Duke Ellington recorded a trio date with bassist Charlie Mingus and drummer Max Roach that is today considered one of the pivotal jazz recordings of the 1960s. Money Jungle, the 1963 album that emerged from the session, was -- among other things -- a commentary on the perennial tug-of-war between art and commerce. In some ways, the album's 11 tracks were intended as a sort of counterbalance to the capitalist bent of the Mad Men generation.
Fifty years later, this precarious balance in the world of jazz -- or in any art form, for that matter -- hasn't changed much. Enter GRAMMY® Award-winning drummer, composer and bandleader Terri Lyne Carrington, who enlists the aid of two high-profile collaborators -- keyboardist Gerald Clayton and bassist Christian McBride -- to pay tribute to Duke, his trio and his creative vision with a cover of this historic recording. Carrington's Money Jungle: Provocative in Blue is set for release on Concord Jazz on February 5, 2013 (international release dates may vary).
Duke's original recording is something that has haunted Carrington since she first heard it about a decade ago. "I had bought it on CD, from the discount bin in a music store," she recalls. "I put it on in my car, and I immediately just felt something mysterious about it. There was just an energy that moved through the tracks. Duke and Charles and Max had a chemistry about them. There was this tension that you could hear, and yet they fit together like a hand in a glove."
In preparation for the project, Carrington read up on Duke's biography. "I felt like a method actor, she says. "I just dug as deep as I could in the time that I had to get a glimpse of his perspective on things. When you start rearranging music by someone like Duke Ellington, you better feel really good about what you're doing. In the end, I felt confident that I didn't do him a disservice, because he was a very open-minded artist, and he was very much about moving forward."
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Money Jungle" on
Terri Lyne Carrington
- 3:24 ACTiON BRONSON & RiFF RaFF - BiRD ON A WiRE" OFFiCiAL ViDEOby JodyHighRoller Featured 2,532,590
- 4:57 The Mosaic Project | "Simply Beautiful" Live at the Jazz Standardby Concord Music Group12,786 views
- 9:23 Terri Lyne Carrington | The Mosaic Projectby Concord Music Group79,220 views
- 4:45 Shemekia Copeland performing "Mississippi Mud" Liveby Concord Music Group4,071 views
- 7:40 Terri Lyne Carrington's "Mosaic Project" - Live in Tokyoby Concord Music Group40,777 views
- 9:23 Terri Lyne Carrington "Very Special" live -- from "Money Jungle: Provocative in Blue" albumby Terri Lyne Carrington1,715 views
- 107 videos Play all Specialsby paulmunsterman1
- 9:12 Esperanza Spalding - "I Know You Know / Smile Like That" (Live in San Sebastian july 23, 2009 - 3/9)by zaxx21,137,562 views
- 1:07:07 "The Mosaic Project" w/ Dianne Reeves - XV Festival Internacional Jazz San Javier by Dorian Grey7,955 views
- 1:38:30 Daily Practice - Module 1 - Part 1by Pebber Brown146,702 views
- 1:06:02 Lennox Lewis vs Evander Holyfieldby Boxe40140433,444 views
- 1:08:17 Duke Ellington - Money Jungle full jazz albumby Olivier C. Delisle35,623 views
- 7:56 Gerald Clayton on Life Forum, Money Jungle and the new generation of jazz playersby JazzTimesVideos1,602 views
- 9:56 Herbie Hancock, Terri Lyne Carrington - St. Louis Blues (Live)by taigan726,808 views
- 7:36 ACS : Geri Allen Terri Lyne Carrington Esperanza Spalding - Fall - TVjazz.tvby Sortiesjazznights15,277 views
- 8:27 Award-Winning New York Jazz Pianist, Gerald Clayton plays live for Byron Janisby ByronJanisMusic21,923 views
- 5:11 Terri Lyne Carrington on Arsenio Hall Show Blackbirdby Terri Lyne Carrington12,785 views
- 57:47 Avishai Cohen - LIVE @ Cully Jazz (Suisse/Switzerland) - (Full Length Concert) - 2011by Lee Nicklen323,976 views
- 4:39 Terri Lyne Carrington's Mosaic feat. Lizz Wrightby Jazz Middelheim1,780 views
- 13:13 Warren Wolf Quintet at Dizzy's Club Coca-Colaby MGPLLC3,255 views