Mark A. Ruffalo, Marco Krapels and Mark Z. Jacobson: Power the World with Wind, Water and Sunlight
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 28, 2012
What happens when you put a movie scientist in the room with a real scientist? You hope to inspire millions to take part in an energy revolution!
Mark Ruffalo, known for his portrayal of Dr. Banner and the Incredible Hulk, will speak with Mark Jacobson of the Stanford Atmosphere/Energy Program and Marco Krapels of Rabobank about powering the world with wind, water and sunlight.
Global warming, environmental pollution, and energy insecurity are three of the most significant problems facing the world today. This talk discusses a technical plan to solve these problems by powering 100% of the United States' and world's energy for all purposes, including electricity, transportation, industry, and heating/cooling, with wind, water, and sunlight (WWS) within 20-40 years. As part of the plan, we consider transmission infrastructure, resources, reliability, catastrophic risk, materials, costs, health effects, job creation, revenue streams, and policies needed. We discuss a detailed version of the plan for New York State and its potential application to California and other states. We also discuss the public engagement needed and how social media can help to implement the plan on the state, national, and international levels.
About the Speakers:
Mark A. Ruffalo is an Oscar-nominated actor and advocate of addressing climate change and renewable energy. In March 2011, Mark co-founded Water Defense to raise awareness about energy extraction impact on water and the public health. A regular contributor to the Guardian and the Huffington Post, Mark is a recent recipient of the Global Green Millennium Award for Environmental Leadership, and the Meera Gandhi Giving Back Foundation Award. He was named one of Time Magazine's "People Who Mattered" in 2011. Most recently, he played Dr. Banner and the Incredible Hulk in the box-office hit, The Avengers.
Marco Krapels is the Executive Vice President of Rabobank N.A,,where he runs the commercial banking product groups including its capital markets and renewable energy finance divisions. He co-chairs the bank's Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) committee, where he's initiated notable sustainability efforts, including a Rabobank solar/Tesla electric car project featured in the New York Times. Marco is co-founder and board member of Empowered by Light, which promotes renewable energy solutions for 1.6 billion people living without electricity.
Mark Z. Jacobson is Director of the Atmosphere/Energy Program and Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Stanford University. He is also a Senior Fellow of the Woods Institute for the Environment and Senior Fellow of the Precourt Institute for Energy. He is on the Energy Efficiency and Renewables Advisory Committee to the U.S. Secretary of Energy. He co-authored a 2009 cover article in Scientific American and two more recent articles in Energy Policy with Dr. Mark DeLucchi of U.C. Davis on how to power the world with renewable energy.
Standard YouTube License
- 51:22 Uranium - Is It A Country? Documentary Tracking The Origins Of Nuclear Energyby Full DocumentariesFeatured 5,723
- 54:15 Chade-Meng Tan: "Search Inside Yourself", Authors at Googleby AtGoogleTalks 76,084 views
- 1:19:04 Ray Kurzweil "How to Create a Mind", Authors at Googleby AtGoogleTalks 48,224 views
- 1:12:38 Authors@Google: Neil deGrasse Tysonby AtGoogleTalks 220,194 views
- 1:00:33 Authors@Google: Joseph Stiglitzby AtGoogleTalks 9,496 views
- 15:46 TEDxAsheville - Eustace Conway - Traditional Lifestyles of the 21st Centuryby TEDxTalks 24,425 views
- 7:03 Building a Water Heating Solar Panel.wmvby NikTheCat 326,624 views
- 1:58 The Big Bang Theory 6x02 - Edward Norton to Mark Ruffaloby Ricardo Mandujano 7,690 views
- 20:18 How to talk to a climate change denierby visionontv 10,686 views
- 1:41 Brand new Tesla car model sby dmetallics 6,219 views
- 58:04 Wind, Water and Sunlightby StanfordUniversity 2,937 views
- 5:42 Tesla Free Energy Generation Company 1 of 4 (Old ITEC Promo)by buildteslagenerator 7,668 views
- 2:52 Mark Ruffalo PSA - Don't Frack OH - June 17, 2012by WaterDefense 9,424 views
- 50:18 Premal Shah, President of Kiva, Talks at Googleby AtGoogleTalks 3,562 views
- 1:12 Water freezes to Ice in Mid Air immediately ... High Definition beethoven - Mondschein Sonate Iby A. Wolf 18,425 views
- 56:51 Mark Andrews: "Brave", Talks at Googleby AtGoogleTalks 15,304 views
- 5:17 So what IS the Higgs boson?by scishow 292,733 views
- 5:27 RJ Cyr Solar Farm Installationby Toria M 1,668 views
- 3:27 Plug-in and inductive wireless battery charging -- two solutions for electric vehicles (EV)by ConductixWampfler 1,990 views
- 2:24 Global Clean Energy Within Reachby StanfordUniversity 13,361 views
- Loading more suggestions...