TEDxBloomington -- Marc and Sara Schiller -- "Gaming The Streets: Uncommissioned Art"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 1, 2011
Together, Marc and Sara Schiller are Wooster Collective: a contemporary art and street art collective. Their mission is to discover and document authentic art experiences via salons, publishing, gallery shows, and of course, their website, Wooster Collective and their Wooster Collective YouTube channel.
Sara and Marc live in downtown Manhattan and have been documenting and enjoying the street art in their neighborhood and around the world for the past ten years. Over many years they have covered over 2000 artists and are fortunate to have become familiar with the street artists' stories and sources of inspiration. The Schiller's were behind the "11 Spring Street" exhibition in 2006 which was chosen as one of the top art shows of the year by the New York Times. The couple have become a global source as curators and as a mouthpiece for this movement of ephemeral art. The Wooster Collective has been featured in such magazines and papers as The New York Times, Time, Paper, The Village Voice, and many others. They have presented at the Tate Modern, The New Museum and Design Indaba.
They are currently working on Trespass, A History of Unauthorized Public Art for Taschen Books as well as self-publishing a book of sketches.
At TEDxBloomington, the Schillers described how, after 9/11, they spent more time walking their NYC neighborhood. Seeing unexpected artwork including a series of shrines caused them to become ever more intrigued by ephemeral art. Their slides showed the audience a new view of public, uncommissioned art that enriches the public arena, and wrests some attention away from ubiquitous commercial advertising messages.
About TEDx In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TED has created a program called TEDx. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. Our event is called TEDxBloomington, where x = independently organized TED event. At our TEDxBloomington event, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events, including ours, are self-organized.
Standard YouTube License
- 18:26 The Language of Street-Art: Shai Dahan at TEDxGöteborgby TEDxTalks2,291 views
- 13:55 TEDxBloomington -- Stephen Volan -- "Approaching Autism Theatrically"by TEDxTalks11,394 views
- 18:22 TEDxDoha - Taika Waititi - The Art of Creativityby TEDxTalks79,452 views
- 17:57 Turning Fear Into Fuel: Jonathan Fields at TEDxCMU 2010by TEDxTalks192,806 views
- 13:21 TEDxBrooklyn- Callie Curry aka Swoonby TEDxTalks32,380 views
- 39:02 TEDxAddis - Daniel Gad - Mining Gold from Dirtby TEDxTalks7,470 views
- 12:59 TEDxBloomington -- Stephen Hayes -- "Wisdom Plays to our Attention"by TEDxTalks13,319 views
- 18:23 TEDxPhilly - Stephen Powers - Urban love lettersby TEDxTalks10,952 views
- 5:20 TEDxBloomington -- Jessica Quirk -- "Look Good, Feel Good: The Case for Playing Dress Up"by TEDxTalks15,293 views
- 18:11 Forget what you know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeenby TEDxTalks2,363,450 views
- 21:24 Everything is a remix: Kirby Ferguson at TEDxFortWayneby TEDxTalks1,615 views
- 10:37 TEDxBloomington -- Sarah Elizabeth Ippel -- "The Dirt Between Our Toes"by TEDxTalks2,416 views
- 20:28 TEDxSaltLakeCity - Mark Fuller - Design DisIntegrationby TEDxTalks3,637 views
- 13:09 Aerosol Spiritual Art: Mohammed Alì at TEDxViadellaConciliazioneby TEDxTalks2,697 views
- 18:08 Art-trepreneur: Donna Morton at TEDxBGIby TEDxTalks545 views
- 11:08 TEDxBloomington -- Amy Yurko -- "The Wonder of Wonder: Stimulating Curiosity for Children"by TEDxTalks2,589 views
- 12:04 TEDxBloomington -- Nolan Harrison III - "Childhood Dreams of Heroes, My Long and Winding Road"by TEDxTalks963 views
- 11:59 TEDxBloomington -- Gever Tulley -- "The Path to Brightworks"by TEDxTalks2,887 views
- 10:59 TEDxBloomington -- Muffy Davis -- "Different Does Not Mean Less"by TEDxTalks2,575 views