The Truth About Fracking
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 27, 2011
Hydraulic fracturing - or "fracking" - is a fast-growing source of natural gas used to create electricity, heat homes, and more. It involves forcing water, sand, and chemicals into super-deep wells and then recovering the gas released during the process.
Fracking is also highly controversial, with viral video hits such as "The Fracking Song" and the 2010 documentary Gasland contending that the process leads to polluted drinking water, home explosions, and worse.
Fracking has been around for more than 60 years and over 100,000 gas wells are dug per year, most of them in sparsely populated areas in the western U.S. With the discovery of the Marcellus Shale in the eastern part of the country, fracking is increasingly common in populated parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New York, leading to heightened tensions between drillers and environmentalists. Indeed, the attorney general of New York has called for a moratorium on the practice in the Empire State.
Is fracking safe? And what are the potential benefits that will be forfeited if the practice is ended? Reason's Nick Gillespie sat down with science correspondent Ronald Bailey to learn the truth about fracking. Bailey reports that the cases of contaminated water supplies were the result of poorly designed wells that had nothing to do with fracking itself. As important, he notes that the gas generated by fracking would not only massively increase American energy supply, it would do so with a relatively clean and cheap fuel.
Shot by Jim Epstein and Josh Swain; Edited by Swain.
Approximately 5:34 minutes.
Go to Reason.tv for downloadable versions of the video and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube channel to receive automatic notification when new material goes live
Standard YouTube License
- 2:51 The reason I quit working in the ND oilfieldby Las Vegas Collapse!Featured 79,219
- 2:43 The Fracking Songby RT America 89,497 views
- 34:29 Truthland: Dispatches from the Real Gasland - Full Movie [HD]by TruthlandMovie's channel 76,089 views
- 7:18 Hydraulic Fracturing 3D Animationby Trial Exhibits, Inc 48,798 views
- 5:17 NASA confirms: Aliens are among usby RT America 114,651 views
- 49 videos Play all Oil & Gas Technologyby TurnKeyOil
- 23:34 Fault Lines - Fracking in Americaby Al Jazeera English 34,864 views
- Hydraulic fracturing 7,575 videos19
- 11:41 "Gasland" Director Josh Fox Arrested at Congressional Hearing on Natural Gas Frackingby Democracy Now! 37,351 views
- 14:07 Dangers of Horizontal Hydraulic Fracking in Bradford County, PA - Part 1by vmlee1000 6,584 views
- 3:35 Chesapeake Energy hydraulic fracturing methodby TETRAtechnologies 51,822 views
- 13:29 Facts on Fracking - What is the Scienceby rickbee20101 11,435 views
- 4:45 The Real Cost of Fracking: Angela and Wayneby CPNewYork 9,302 views
- 10:59 Gasland: Dangers of Natural Gas Extraction (Extended Trailer)by SustainableGuidance 56,627 views
- 7:25 Shale Gas- Hydraulic Fracturingby QuesterreEnergy 79,128 views
- 8:26 GASLAND: Flammable Drinking Waterby TheAlyonaShow 33,985 views
- 24:17 Unearthed: The Fracking Facadeby Unearthed: The Documentary 41,443 views
- 2:41 Hydraulic Fracturing- Shale Natural Gas Extractionby smtlearningchannel 78,505 views
- 8:26 The Government's War on Cameras!by ReasonTV 178,155 views
- 0:58 EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson Tells Congress "No Proven Cases Where Fracking Has Affected Water"by Energy in Depth 10,371 views
- 3:07 Fracing a Natural Gas Wellby PSUWayneCounty 189,037 views
- 2:00 Horizontal Drilling and Hydraulic Fracturingby HydraulicFracturing 215,258 views
- Loading more suggestions...