The Truth About Fracking
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 27, 2011
Hydraulic fracturing - or "fracking" - is a fast-growing source of natural gas used to create electricity, heat homes, and more. It involves forcing water, sand, and chemicals into super-deep wells and then recovering the gas released during the process.
Fracking is also highly controversial, with viral video hits such as "The Fracking Song" and the 2010 documentary Gasland contending that the process leads to polluted drinking water, home explosions, and worse.
Fracking has been around for more than 60 years and over 100,000 gas wells are dug per year, most of them in sparsely populated areas in the western U.S. With the discovery of the Marcellus Shale in the eastern part of the country, fracking is increasingly common in populated parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New York, leading to heightened tensions between drillers and environmentalists. Indeed, the attorney general of New York has called for a moratorium on the practice in the Empire State.
Is fracking safe? And what are the potential benefits that will be forfeited if the practice is ended? Reason's Nick Gillespie sat down with science correspondent Ronald Bailey to learn the truth about fracking. Bailey reports that the cases of contaminated water supplies were the result of poorly designed wells that had nothing to do with fracking itself. As important, he notes that the gas generated by fracking would not only massively increase American energy supply, it would do so with a relatively clean and cheap fuel.
Shot by Jim Epstein and Josh Swain; Edited by Swain.
Approximately 5:34 minutes.
Go to Reason.tv for downloadable versions of the video and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube channel to receive automatic notification when new material goes live
Standard YouTube License
- 4:35 What The Frack is Fracking?!by DNews Featured 13,263
- 1:45:08 Dr. Ingraffea Facts on Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition41,749 views
- 56:51 NO FRACKING WAY: THE NATURAL GAS BOOM IS DOING MORE HARM THAN GOOD- Intelligence Squared U.S.by IntelligenceSquared Debates8,336 views
- 17:53 Fracking Hell: The Untold Storyby Link TV660,978 views
- 41:21 Water on Fire - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 1 - Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition75,926 views
- 1:34:32 GASLAND (subtitrare in romana) - DOCUMENTAR despre efectele grave ale exploatarii gazelor de sistby Cristian Moldovan24,525 views
- 23:34 Fault Lines - Fracking in Americaby Al Jazeera English40,460 views
- 34:29 Truthland: Dispatches from the Real Gasland - Full Movie [HD]by TruthlandMovie108,519 views
- 7:18 Hydraulic Fracturing 3D Animationby Trial Exhibits, Inc.90,500 views
- 3:33 CNN Explains: Frackingby CNN107,618 views
- 4:10 Stuff They Don't Want You to Know - Frackingby HowStuffWorks75,398 views
- 2:51 The reason I quit working in the ND oilfieldby lasvegascollapse153,687 views
- 5:18 NASA confirms: Aliens are among usby RT America135,249 views
- 3:35 Chesapeake Energy hydraulic fracturing methodby TETRAtechnologies65,950 views
- 35:35 WARNING Fracking An Inconvenient Truth Watch Learn about Fracking Shale Gas what they dont sayby Pete WDHCo12,160 views
- 16:00 Professor Burleson on Hydraulic Fracturing, Natural Gasby Bloomberg4,819 views
- 8:26 GASLAND: Flammable Drinking Waterby TheAlyonaShow35,844 views
- 3:11 Gasland director hides full factsby Phelim McAleer80,666 views
- 7:25 Shale Gas- Hydraulic Fracturingby QuesterreEnergy96,780 views
- 3:03 Ban Fracking and shale gas in Europe before it's too late!by Greens EFA26,722 views
- Loading more suggestions...