How to Choose a Cheese
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 2, 2010
Watch more Party Appetizers & Snack Foods videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/222-Par...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://howc.st/uLaHRS
Learn how to choose a cheese with these buying tips.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://howc.st/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Health Channel - http://howc.st/HOE3aY
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://howc.st/tYKKrk
Howcast Tech Channel - http://howc.st/rx9FwR
Howcast Food Channel - http://howc.st/umBoJX
Howcast Arts & Recreation Channel - http://howc.st/vmB86i
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://howc.st/vKjUjm
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://howc.st/vbbNt3
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Go to a cheese shop
Make your selections in a cheese shop or specialty foods store. Besides offering a wider selection, the staff will be more knowledgeable and will likely offer samples. If you have access to a farmer's market, check out locally produced cheeses.
Cheeses that are handmade by small companies or farms, often in limited batches, are called artisanal cheeses.
Step 2: Ask for suggestions
Let the cheesemonger know the kind of taste and texture you like. Do you prefer a mild, medium, or strong flavor? Do you want something creamy, crumbly, semi-hard, or hard? Can you handle stinky?
Step 3: Plan a cheese plate
If you're planning a cheese platter for several people, include at least one aged cheese; a blue one; a soft cheese; and a hard one.
Step 4: Put together a cheese course
Put together a post-entree cheese course featuring 5 or 6 cheeses with different flavors, textures, colors, and rinds. Be sure to include a blue cheese. Let them come to room temperature before serving.
Try arranging them like a clock face: Put the mildest cheese at one o'clock and progress clockwise to the sharpest.
Step 5: Consider its purpose
Choose how you're going to use the cheese. The best melting cheeses include mozzarella, cheddar, Jack, and brie. If you need a cheese to grate over soup, salad, or pasta, choose a hard, aged cheese like Pecorino Romano, Asiago, or Parmigiano-Reggiano. Strong, crumbly cheeses like feta, blue, or goat cheese are great on salads, even fruit ones.
Step 6: Don't stock up
To ensure the best flavor, buy cheese as close as possible to when you're going to eat it, don't cut or grate it in advance, and try not to buy more than you can consume in a week. The exception is a hard, aged cheese, which can stay good for up to a month.
Did You Know?
Cheese judges spit out the cheeses they taste, just like wine tasters do.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:09 What Makes Good Cheese and the Many Different Varieties of Cheese?by Food.Farmer.EarthFeatured 9,458
- 2:49 How to Choose Cheese Accompanimentsby Howcast 1,373 views
- 2:31 How To Prepare For a Long Plane Rideby Howcast 179,796 views
- 3:28 How To Stay Fabulous When You Fly Coast To Coastby Howcast 133,502 views
- 2:02 How to Grow Watermelonby Howcast 236,394 views
- 10:27 The Science & Art of Cheese - KQED QUESTby KQEDondemand 29,773 views
- 4:28 How to Make & Arrange Special Cheese Plattersby RobertLambertBrand 616 views
- 5:36 How to choose and and cook Grana Padano Cheese.flvby FoodEnquirer 411 views
- 5:12 How Parmesan Cheese Is Madeby Triwood1973 91,036 views
- 3:43 How to Assemble a Cheese Boardby Steve Dolinsky 234 views
- 2:59 Wine and Cheese Pairing with Cypress Grove Chevre | Pottery Barnby Pottery Barn 2,848 views
- 28:05 Farmer's Cheese and Cream Cheese; Kitchen Basics! Noreen's Kitchenby Noreens Kitchen 1,244 views
- 2:32 How to Choose Charcuterie & Cheese for a Great Meal | Pottery Barnby Pottery Barn 4,650 views
- 8:59 Consorzio del Prosciutto di Parma - "Aria di Parma"by ProsciuttodiParmaDOP 69,646 views
- 3:27 How to make Cheese at Home in Under 5 Minutesby sustainablepantry 328,197 views
- 4:25 Learn to Make Mozzarella Cheese in 5 Minutesby Mikey Sklar 73,856 views
- 2:11 The Perfect Cheese Platter: How To Create It || Kin Eatsby kincommunity 6,706 views
- 14:16 How to Make Mozzarella Cheeseby David Nash 32,207 views
- 12:58 ~Inspired Pull Apart Blue Cheese Bites~by Linda's Pantry 664 views
- 2:20 How To Be a Stand-Up Comedianby Howcast 49,563 views
- Loading more suggestions...