Solving Mysteries - Exploring the Science of Miracles
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 6, 2012
http://facebook.com/ScienceReason ... World Skeptics Congress 2012 (Award Session): Luigi Garlaschelli with his talk "Solving Mysteries - Exploring the Science of Miracles". Luigi Garlaschelli also receives the ECSO "Outstanding Skeptics Award". Introduction by Massimo Polidoro.
More videos of the World Skeptics Congress will be uploaded to the following channels:
Please don't forget to subscribe!
Luigi Garlaschelli is a researcher in Organic Chemistry for the Department of Organic Chemistry at the University of Pavia. His recent interests are in the synthesis of fullerene derivatives and supramolecular chemistry, in cooperation with the Department of Organic Chemistry at the University of Padua. He authored or co-authored about 50 papers and patents.
Besides his official duty, Luigi Garlaschelli is interested in paranormal phenomena, scientific anomalies, pseudoscience and mysteries. Since 1991 he is fellow of CICAP (Comitato Italiano per il Controllo delle Affermazioni sul Paranormale, Italian Committee for the Investigations of the Claims of the Paranormal), where he is in charge of the experimental works.
The results of some of Garlaschelli's investigations were printed on international journals dealing with parapsychology and the paranormal, as well as on chemistry journals. He is now co-relator of two graduation works at the Department of General Psychology at the University of Padua: one on the perceptive illusion of the "Spook Hills", the other on the near-death experiences.
Consistently with the aims of CICAP, Luigi Garlaschelli is concerned with the popularization of science and of the scientific and rational method. He appeared contless times in national and foreign TV services, and gives very often lectures on these topics in high schools and Universities - sometimes requested by the Società Chimica Italiana (Italian Chemical Society). He writes on a regular basis for CICAP's magazine, Scienza & Paranormale, and published several articles on other magazines as well.
Garlaschelli keeps now a page, entitled "Chimica e misteri" ("Chemistry and mysteries") on "La Chimica e l'Industria", the magazine of the Società Chimica Italiana. As an amateur magician he gave a few lectures for the local groups of Circolo Magico Italiano (Italian Magic Club), on "chemical magic" and "fakirs performances".
Luigi Garlaschelli authored several books: "Processo alla Sindone" ("The Shroud on Trial") and "I segreti dei fachiri" ("Secrets of the Fakirs"; with Massimo Polidoro), "Investigatori dell'occulto" ("Investigators of the occult") and "Rabdomanzia" (with Andrea Albini).
World Skeptics Congress: Promoting Science and Critical Thinking in a World of Uncertainty.
Why do people turn to pseudoscience for help? What makes alternative medicine so attractive - and how can we find out what really works? Why is it so difficult for us to deal with risk and uncertainty in a rational way? Can we teach children to think critically and scientifically? And how can academic disciplines like biology or psychology protect themselves from pseudoscientific contamination?
The 6th World Skeptics Congress in Berlin was an intellectually stimulating three-day event dealing with paranormal and supernatural claims, fringe science issues, and scams. Major topics at this event were science and pseudoscience in education, in particular anti-evolution claims and origin myths, and the problems of risk and benefit assessment, especially in alternative medicine.
Gerd Antes, Wim Betz, Johan Braeckman, Edzard Ernst, Chris French, Luigi Garlaschelli, Harriet Hall, Ray Hyman, Chris Mooney, Simon Perry, Massimo Polidoro, James Randi, Gita Sahgal, Eugenie Scott, Simon Singh, Samantha Stein, Kylie Sturgess, Rebecca Watson and Tomasz Witkowski are just some of the world-renowned presenters who took part, taking apart the claims and conspiracies of the modern world.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:02:50 Spirit Science 1 - 15 FULL MOVIE SERIES 2012by YHWHisSALVATION4ever Featured 1,785,716
- 50:40 Engaging Children in Scienceby RationalHumanism1,548 views
- 30:00 Homeopathic Tacticsby RationalHumanism2,116 views
- 43:22 Myths of Origin in the Classroomby RationalHumanism2,850 views
- 22:51 Trick or Treatment? Alternative Medicine on Trial (Simon Singh)by RationalHumanism3,870 views
- 46:56 The Rise of Creationismby RationalHumanism6,860 views
- 58:16 The Atheist Experience #768 (full episode)by TheAtheistExperience66,405 views
- 32:13 Pseudoscience in Educationby RationalHumanism2,064 views
- 1:11:24 Christian Materiality: Miracles in the Later Middle Agesby StanfordUniversity5,418 views
- 19:35 Penn Jillette: An Atheist's Guide to the 2012 Electionby Big Think843,898 views
- 4:34 [ENGSUB] EXO - Miracles in December (Chinese ver.)by Kpop LiveHD7,456 views
- 4:34 EXO_12월의 기적 (Miracles in December)_Music Video (Chinese ver.)by SMTOWN1,192,742 views
- 4:34 [Engsub+Lyrics]MV] EXO - Miracles in December ( 12월의 기적) (Korean ver.)by EXO LIVE VOD114,641 views
- 4:38 EXO - Miracles in December (12월의 기적) MV (Chinese ver.) [English subs + Pinyin + Chinese] HDby LoveKpopSubs149,881 views
- 4:34 [Engsub+Lyrics]MV] EXO - Miracles in December ( 12월의 기적) (Chinese ver.)by EXO LIVE VOD55,608 views
- 4:45 The Secret Bible - Apocalypse - Watch Full documentary Part 4by TheDocumentary03295 views
- 1:06 EXO 12월의 기적 Miracles in December Music Video Teaserby SONE XO31,329 views
- 37:40 "Faith: Pretending to know things you don't know" by Dr. Peter Boghossianby peterboghossian54,855 views
- 3:31 Science Bob's Crazy Foam Experimentby ScienceBob2,114,030 views
- 1:48:10 James Randi at the Magic Castle: In Conversation with Max Mavenby JamesRandiFoundation42,662 views
- Loading more suggestions...