The Forge: What you missed on Episode 26 with Dave Gray
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 21, 2013
Don't have time to watch all of episode 26 of the Forge: Here's what you've missed on Episode 26 of the Forge...
We spoke with Dave Gray, visual communicator and one of the authors of Gamestorming and the Connected Company. Dave shared with us how visual thinking helps bring understanding across disciplines.
"One of the best ways to integrate and synthesis those ideas is by helping them learn to draw their ideas."
He shared his idea for a visual alphabet:
"I synthesized 12 basic shapes, that if you can draw these 12 shapes you can draw anything. Kind of just like letters.
But to do all this, he says you don't have to be an artist...
"And it's funny people will say, 'Oh I can't draw I'm no artist, I'm not Picasso'. No one ever says 'I can't write you an email, I'm no Hemmingway.'"
Dave also shared how he makes his videos using Autodesk Sketch book pro, Camtasia Studio and a touch screen computer.
We also talked with Troy Stein, Product Manager for a new mobile app for educators, called Ask3. Ask3 is an iPad app that allows teachers and students to communicate.
Teachers create a class, share the passcode with their students, and without even needing an email are able to easily share videos with their class.
"Teachers are generally the purveyors of all knowledge in the classroom. Some of the smart ones out there are trying to get the kids to take a little more ownership in their learning and more initiative. They actually use the term 'Have you asked 3 before me?' That reminds them to go ask fellow students for answers. The only problem is that when they are at home that can't do that very well."
"Can we have the kids engage? Can we have them learn more; take more ownership and actually succeed more?"
On each video students can leave comments or ask questions at a specific time. They can also answer each other's questions with a video.
Teachers can download it from the Apple app store today.
You should check it out and more in episode 26 on the Forge.
Standard YouTube License
- 17:33 The Forge: Lee LeFever, Common Craft, and The Art of Explanation - Episode 30by TechSmith676 views
- 42:00 The Forge - Episode 12 (HD) "Tom's Tips, Dan's Tricks, T-Shirt Tossing Tomfoolery"by TechSmith2,146 views
- 31:29 The Forge - Episode 28 (HD) "Digital vs. Paper at Visual Literacy 2013"by TechSmith954 views
- 40:27 The Forge - Episode 004 (HD) - "Mostly Music!"by TechSmith938 views
- 1:24:30 Dave Gray - The Connected Organizationby eXtension Network Literacy
- 1:11:39 Snagit November Webinar - 11/15/2012by TechSmith2,547 views
- 17:13 LIVE Photoshoot - Single light portraitsby Matt Granger393,586 views
- 7:42 D.I.Y. Handmade Satin Rose - Tutorialby MyInDulzens191,455 views
- 35:17 The Forge - Episode 26 (HD) "Picasso vs. Hemmingway"by TechSmith826 views
- 37:33 The Forge - Episode 25 (HD) "When With Roam..."by TechSmith3,116 views
- 4:20 Invest in Kids - Video on Nurse-Family Partnership through Invest in Kidsby Nurse-Family Partnership734 views
- 40:28 The Forge - Episode 007 (HD) - "Sporked!"by TechSmith695 views
- 38:13 The Forge - Episode 008 (HD) - "Your Cupcakes Will Be Assimilated"by TechSmith929 views
- 37:19 The Forge - Episode 15 (HD) "And the Winner is..."by TechSmith2,743 views
- 4:28 How to get Snagit 11 FULL free!!! ( Voice Tutorial!)by Martin Berlanga1,714 views
- 34:04 The Forge - Episode 17 (HD) "I Can't Get No...Social Satisfaction."by TechSmith1,804 views
- 5:57 Pregnancy Help — Video of Nurse-Family Partnership Nurses Providing Pregnancy Helpby Nurse-Family Partnership3,716 views
- 32:36 The Forge - Episode 22 (HD) "See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Snag Some Evil!"by TechSmith3,160 views
- 24:32 The Forge - Episode 27 (HD) "Video tips for Everyone!"by TechSmith868 views
- 12:59 Techsmith SnagIt 11 Reviewby Craig Chamberlin1,662 views
- Loading more suggestions...