Haruki MURAKAMI: In SEARCH of this elusive WRITER (DOCUMENTARY)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 23, 2011
Haruki Murakami (村上 春樹, Murakami Haruki?, born January 12, 1949) is a Japanese writer and translator. His works of fiction and non-fiction have garnered him critical acclaim and numerous awards.
He is considered an important figure in postmodern literature. The Guardian praised him as "among the world's greatest living novelists" for his works and achievements.
Murakami was born in Japan during the post--World War II baby boom. Although born in Kyoto, he spent his youth in Shukugawa (Nishinomiya), Ashiya and Kobe. His father was the son of a Buddhist priest, and his mother the daughter of an Osaka merchant. Both taught Japanese literature.
Since childhood, Murakami has been heavily influenced by Western culture, particularly Western music and literature. He grew up reading a range of works by American writers, such as Kurt Vonnegut and Richard Brautigan, and he is often distinguished from other Japanese writers by his Western influences.
Murakami studied drama at Waseda University in Tokyo, where he met his wife, Yoko. His first job was at a record store, which is where one of his main characters, Toru Watanabe in Norwegian Wood, works. Shortly before finishing his studies, Murakami opened the coffeehouse (jazz bar, in the evening) "Peter Cat" in Kokubunji, Tokyo with his wife (1974-1981).
Many of his novels have themes and titles that invoke classical music, such as the three books making up The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle: The Thieving Magpie (after Rossini's opera), Bird as Prophet (after a piano piece by Robert Schumann usually known in English as The Prophet Bird), and The Bird-Catcher (a character in Mozart's opera The Magic Flute). Some of his novels take their titles from songs: Dance, Dance, Dance (after The Dells' song, although it is widely thought it was titled after the Beach Boys tune), Norwegian Wood (after The Beatles' song) and South of the Border, West of the Sun (the first part being the title of a song by Nat King Cole).His most recent novel, 1Q84, honors writer icon George Orwell.
Murakami is a keen marathon runner and triathlete, although he did not start running until he was 33 years old. On June 23, 1996, he completed his first ultramarathon, a 100-kilometer race around Lake Saroma in Hokkaido, Japan. He discusses his relationship with running in his 2008 work What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Haruki MURAKAMI: In SEARCH of this elusive WRITER (DOCUMENTARY)
- 28:25 Prostitutes of God (Documentary)by VICE Featured 1,883,322
- 1:01:16 FRIDA KAHLO (1907~1954) : Biography ~~a Woman in Rebellion (DOCUMENTARY)by ProjectDystopia99,790 views
- 57:44 Vladimir Nabokov: Life and Lolita - BBC Documentaryby 324wilson46,698 views
- 59:14 John Coltrane - The World According to John Coltraneby Júlio Pimentel57,977 views
- 28:58 True Otaku: The Documentary (Part 1 of 3)by CinemaShowFilms62,697 views
- 52:57 La dichosa palabra. Haruki Murakami, guerreros durmientes, la carabina de Ambrosio. Programa 2 2009by canal2222,432 views
- 20 videos Play all Music from "1Q84" by Haruki Murakamiby Isildil0
- 1:00:43 BBC Documentary - Stupidity "Full Movie"by MrSaunders20201,130,351 views
- 25:51 JAMES BALDWIN: Interview (Florida Forum, Miami)~~1963by ProjectDystopia17,993 views
- 1:19:44 A Life in Japan - Documentary (English with English subtitles)by Petri Storlöpare537,597 views
- 1:36:19 John Coltrane Live 1960 1961 1965by Frederik Nordson87,650 views
- 44:34 Endnotes | David Foster Wallace | BBC Documentaryby Adam James160,688 views
- 1:17:02 Haruki Murakami: mitos y seres fantásticosby Fundacionmapfre5,177 views
- 40:39 John Coltrane My Favorite Things (1961) [Full album]by Ghislain Quiroz17,611 views
- 32:16 Ballads. John Coltrane Quartet.by nagusd154,550 views
- 29:25 Virginia Woolf Documentaryby vocalissimo177,381 views
- 1:14:39 John Coltrane - Coltrane Plays The Blues (1962)by Paul Atreides150,425 views
- 20:17 Aya TAKANO Documentary ~~~QUEEN of SUPERFLATby ProjectDystopia3,377 views
- 15:01 Tokyo Revealead-Documentary-Part.1by Samyaza Shemyazaz687,172 views
- 14:28 La otra aventura. Programa 4. HARUKI MURAKAMIby La otra aventura4,942 views