Haruki MURAKAMI: In SEARCH of this elusive WRITER (DOCUMENTARY)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 23, 2011
Haruki Murakami (村上 春樹, Murakami Haruki?, born January 12, 1949) is a Japanese writer and translator. His works of fiction and non-fiction have garnered him critical acclaim and numerous awards.
He is considered an important figure in postmodern literature. The Guardian praised him as "among the world's greatest living novelists" for his works and achievements.
Murakami was born in Japan during the post--World War II baby boom. Although born in Kyoto, he spent his youth in Shukugawa (Nishinomiya), Ashiya and Kobe. His father was the son of a Buddhist priest, and his mother the daughter of an Osaka merchant. Both taught Japanese literature.
Since childhood, Murakami has been heavily influenced by Western culture, particularly Western music and literature. He grew up reading a range of works by American writers, such as Kurt Vonnegut and Richard Brautigan, and he is often distinguished from other Japanese writers by his Western influences.
Murakami studied drama at Waseda University in Tokyo, where he met his wife, Yoko. His first job was at a record store, which is where one of his main characters, Toru Watanabe in Norwegian Wood, works. Shortly before finishing his studies, Murakami opened the coffeehouse (jazz bar, in the evening) "Peter Cat" in Kokubunji, Tokyo with his wife (1974-1981).
Many of his novels have themes and titles that invoke classical music, such as the three books making up The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle: The Thieving Magpie (after Rossini's opera), Bird as Prophet (after a piano piece by Robert Schumann usually known in English as The Prophet Bird), and The Bird-Catcher (a character in Mozart's opera The Magic Flute). Some of his novels take their titles from songs: Dance, Dance, Dance (after The Dells' song, although it is widely thought it was titled after the Beach Boys tune), Norwegian Wood (after The Beatles' song) and South of the Border, West of the Sun (the first part being the title of a song by Nat King Cole).His most recent novel, 1Q84, honors writer icon George Orwell.
Murakami is a keen marathon runner and triathlete, although he did not start running until he was 33 years old. On June 23, 1996, he completed his first ultramarathon, a 100-kilometer race around Lake Saroma in Hokkaido, Japan. He discusses his relationship with running in his 2008 work What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.
Standard YouTube License
- 50 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 1:34:47 Japan's War in Colour (Complete Documentary)by Κλασσικά ΙστορικάFeatured 419,270
- 57:44 Vladimir Nabokov: Life and "Lolita" - BBC Documentaryby 324wilson's Royal Channel 20,895 views
- 1:00:43 BBC Documentary - Stupidity "Full Movie"by MrSaunders2020's channel 936,089 views
- 1:00:27 Japan - A Story of Love and Hate BBC (English language)by WeAreWorldTV 429,409 views
- 28:21 Takashi MURAKAMI ~~ Birth of SUPERFLATby ProjectDystopia 40,513 views
- Haruki Murakami 2,121 videos32
- 4:52 青豆1Q84by aomame1q84moon 41,163 views
- 25:51 JAMES BALDWIN: Interview (Florida Forum, Miami)~~1963by ProjectDystopia 9,780 views
- 1:01:16 FRIDA KAHLO (1907~1954) : Biography ~~a Woman in Rebellion (DOCUMENTARY)by ProjectDystopia 46,410 views
- 12:11 Porque el Amor Manda - Capítulo 161 - Part 1/3 - (Lunes 20/05/2013)by TVCAPITULOSHD3 1,454 views
- 12 videos Play all jazzby claku22
- 46:07 Fighter Weapons Instructor Training (FWIT) school - full documentaryby nickyy323 48,812 views
- 8:15 Kurt Vonnegutby GottfriedGeist's channel 164,378 views
- 2:32:12 Haruki Murakami: Japanese Literature on the Global Stageby UCBerkeleyEvents 13,302 views
- 58:36 "A Life Writing"by WilliamsCollege 2,101 views
- 2:08:23 La Ballade de l'Impossible - Norwegian Woodby omar OM 1,094 views
- 15:01 Tokyo Revealead-Documentary-Part.1by Samyaza Shemyazaz 481,048 views
- 27:27 Book review: 1Q84 by Haruki Murakamiby Everything a gentleman craves 26,843 views
- 15:08 Norwegian Wood (Film Soundtrack) Part Oneby kafkaOTS 45,678 views
- 2:37 Toru Watanabe meets Midori Kobayashi - Scene from "Norwegian Wood" (2010)by Michael Betancourt 50,443 views
- 1:17:02 Haruki Murakami: mitos y seres fantásticosby FUNDACIÓN MAPFRE 2,768 views
- 14:28 La otra aventura. Programa 4. HARUKI MURAKAMIby OtraAventura 3,409 views
- Loading more suggestions...