Hillary Clinton: US losing "Information War" - RT 110303
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 3, 2011
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton testifies before a Senate Appropriations Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, March 2, 2011 (AFP Photo / Rod Lamkey Jr)
The US is losing the global information war, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton declared while appearing before a congressional committee to ask for extra funds to spread US propaganda through new media.
Clinton said existing private channels are not good enough to handle the job, naming as rivals Al Jazeera, China's CCTV and RT -- which she watches, she added.
Clinton was defending her department's budget in front of the House's Committee on Foreign Affairs on Wednesday.
Clinton said the US should step up its propaganda effort and get back "in the game" of doing "what we do best."
"During the Cold War we did a great job in getting America's message out. After the Berlin Wall fell we said, 'Okay, fine, enough of that, we are done,' and unfortunately we are paying a big price for it," she said. "Our private media cannot fill that gap."
"We are in an information war and we are losing that war. Al Jazeera is winning, the Chinese have opened a global multi-language television network, the Russians have opened up an English-language network. I've seen it in a few countries, and it is quite instructive," she stated.
Things have changed a lot since the days when Western media outlets, including BBC and CNN, had a monopoly on the coverage of world news. More and more viewers across the world tune into various foreign media to get a fresh take on events.
It is all in the numbers. For instance, RT's presence on YouTube is a real hit: almost 300 million views, when CNN International is struggling to reach 3 million.
RT's constantly growing audience is an indication that the days of media monopoly are over and that people are demanding more multi-polar thinking.
One of the latest examples is Al Jazeera's coverage of the unrest in the Middle East and North Africa, which by most accounts outshone the US media's presentation of events.
Not everyone, however, is happy with the wider variety of media options. The head of the federal agency that manages the US's government-run international broadcasting has basically called all those foreign media enemies.
Last year Walter Isaacson, who heads the federal agency that manages the US's government-run international broadcasting, including the Voice of America, warned against the influence of foreign media.
"We can't allow ourselves to be out-communicated by our enemies," he said, in a now-infamous pitch to get his agency more funding. He did, however, later backtrack on his statement, saying that he was misunderstood.
Journalist and filmmaker Danny Schechter says the US can no longer maintain a monopoly on information.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:10 Hillary Clinton Loves RT?by The Alyona ShowFeatured 29,563
- 10:13 World War 3 - To Be Officially Declaredby AMTV | Greenewave 501,986 views
- 25:34 KENNEDY AFTER TWO YEARSby PublicResourceOrg 39,534 views
- 3:43 Out-FOXed: Bill O'Reilly bites the RT bulletby RussiaToday 553,093 views
- 9:07 BBC - Should We Be Scared of Russia ? - 2by Let's have a new era of good sense, peace and understanding 19,871 views
- 7:48 Clinton: Russia & China will 'pay price' for supporting Assadby RussiaToday 63,081 views
- 5:20 Ron Paul Grills Hillary Clinton on Middle East Meddling - March 1, 2011by Original1001BG 9,102 views
- 5:09 The 9/11 hijackers are aliveby RT America 149,573 views
- 9:01 Watch this and you will believe 9/11 was an inside Jobby SpideredNewz 83,814 views
- 0:38 Osama Bin Laden Dead: Graphic Footage Inside Bin Laden's Compound, 2011by ABC News 1,874,868 views
- 13:40 Hillary Clinton Warns Africa Of China, 1 of 2by AfriSynergy 2,821 views
- 2:54 Hillary Laughs about Iran War Resolutionby dankavanaugh 41,823 views
- 0:32 Catdog born in Georgia. (RussiaToday)by InternationalNews09 9,249 views
- 10:19 Tarpley: US exports depression to Chinaby RTAmerica 16,147 views
- 51:59 М.Хазин. Механизмы кризиса и перспективы. 13.05.2012by ShurikShev 29,753 views
- 3:51 "Hillary The Hater" Unhappy With Alternative Mediaby TheFlexEffect 1,372 views
- 4:48 'Leaked Afghan files hid a losing war, not military secrets'by RT 21,579 views
- 14:47 Secretaries Clinton and Geithner Co-Host a Banquet for Chinese Delegationby statevideo 866 views
- 1:18 George Galloway blasts Hilary Clinton again over Chinese Google e-mail hack!by taldari 2,214 views
- 2:36 RT as Public Enemy? Top US media boss ready to fight 'enemies'by RussiaToday 71,257 views
- Loading more suggestions...