Barroso lashes out at British Conservatives in European Parliament
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 3, 2012
Read more at EurActiv.com - http://www.euractiv.com/euro-finance/...
Speaking before the European Parliament, President of the European Commission Jose Manuel Barroso on Tuesday said that "he was puzzled" by British Conservative MEPs as they "seem to delight in the difficulties of the euro area".
The outburst came after Chairman of the European Conservatives and Reformists group in the European Parliament Martin Callanan said that the euro is "driving people's of Europe apart"
"There are too many political forces that say one thign in Strasbourg and another thing in the capitals of the member states....it is also very important that political parties don't say one thing in Strasbourg and then a different thing in their national capitals. One important and interesting point was made by the British Conservatives today. It was in fact expressed some kind of satisfaction with the situation in the euro area. Let me tell you that it is puzzling that you seem to delight in the difficulties of the euro area and this is in stark contrast with the position taken by your leader, Prime Minister Cameron. So a good effort will be in terms of accountability to your public that you say the same thing here that you say in London..... I am also by the way very puzzled with the ease with which some of you are recommending some member states to leave the euro. This, once again is in complete contrast to the position taken by the PM of Britian, which for instance at the G8 summit said it is in his national interest that Greece stays in the euro area.
"And when some of you are suggesting that the problems of the economic situation in europe now are the result of the euro area and that for instance you disapprove the big bailout programmes in the banking sector in the euro area, let me just put the facts straight. The country by far that has been spending money with the banking sector is Britain. More than any country in the EU..... The country in all the EU that has been committing taxpayers money to save the financial sector has been by far Britain. This is not a euro area problem. This is a problem of the EU as a whole."
Standard YouTube License
- 3:54 Who is in charge of this EU? Farage, Cohn-Bendit, others react to Barroso speechby EUXTVFeatured 23,683
- 4:11 Farage, Barroso lock horns over Wikileaks, EU referendumby EUXTV 62,911 views
- 1:42 Putin slams Barroso: "You know you are wrong, you're guilty"by EUXTV 13,639 views
- 2:02 Farage draws Barroso laughs as he proposes new EU referendumby EUXTV 18,793 views
- 1:35:34 2008 - 2013 Update - What is happening in the European Parliament?by XIxItalianoxIX 8,197 views
- José Manuel Barroso 3,767 videos19
- 1:27 Eurocrats no longer disguise their loathing of Britainby Daniel Hannan's Channel 49,289 views
- 1:07 Two minutes hate against Britainby DanHannanMEP 9,173 views
- 1:27 Daniel Hannan - The EU Parliament (2013)by Canal de MightyDemocracy 2,332 views
- 4:01 The Gravediggers of European Democracyby UKIPmeps 4,360 views
- 8:29 euronews reporter - UK-EU: should I stay or should I go?by Euronews 10,869 views
- 13:18 UKIP Nigel Farage VS LIBLABCON on BBC Paxman 2012by ukipmedia 48,579 views
- 3:44 FARAGE IS PURE GOLD !by wishfix 180,656 views
- 6:37 Nigel Farage destroys Barroso's State of the Unionby europarl 216,045 views
- 3:11 'Who the Hell You Think You Are?' Nigel Farage throws egg in Eurocrat facesby RussiaToday 1,078,721 views
- 6:19 Nigel Farage: Van Rompuy, Barroso worst people in EU since 1945by RussiaToday 72,000 views
- 2:22 Nigel Farage: Perhaps you've invented nuclear money, Mr Barroso!by europarl 28,392 views
- 42:57 State of the Union Address 2012by Europe by Satellite 4,376 views
- 1:10 No ACTAby DanHannanMEP 2,837 views
- 4:15 Guy Verhofstadt on the UK Government's criticism of the EU budget increaseby DanHannanMEP 18,646 views
- 3:03 Nigel Farage audits Barroso Commissionby EUXTV 68,062 views
- Loading more suggestions...