USS Caron getting rammed by the Russians in the Black Sea - Feb 1988
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 2, 2010
In February 1988, Caron operating with Yorktown, entered Soviet 7 miles ) territorial waters limit in the Black Sea off the Crimean Peninsula. Under international law, this act could be permissible if the ship was progressing from one point in international waters to another point in international waters via the shortest course possible, but according to the Soviet Union, it was the right of the USSR to authorize or prohibit travel in selected areas within the 12 mile limit. The United States however did not recognize the Soviet's claim in this case. To prevent it from becoming accepted precedent, the US Navy claimed that it had sailed warships through such areas at regular intervals in the past, although no reference was provided.
On this occasion, Caron had onboard a ships signal exploitation spaces system, operated by a crew of 18 in support of the U.S. National Security Agency. This system was capable of recording data on Soviet defense radars and communications.
In response, the Soviets deployed a destroyer and a Mirka II class light frigate as well as a KGB and "civilian" ships to intercept the U.S. ships. Several times, Soviet vessels obtained radar "lock" on the Caron and Yorktown. Both American ships maintained a constant course and speed throughout the incident. Eventually, the Soviets lightly rammed both ships. No significant damage resulted to any of the ships involved. As for the music, take note that this was shot on VHS and back in 1988, when we did not have Youtube. The only people we thought would see this was friends and family, not a bunch of people from all over the world. No the music is not masking the screams from the crew on the USS Caron, so if you don't like it, there is a volume button - use it
Also check out the video from the USS Yorktown at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SME4w0...
This is the video that the Russian news showed on the 10th Anniversary - All I can say is I can't believe that the Russian people believed and animated version of what happened over the real tape.
Also the video the Russians did on the 25th anniversary - They asked me for an interview and I declined for the very reason I that I knew they would not portray it accurately and they didn't let me down
Standard YouTube License
- 3:49 Nightmare in broad Daylight!!! (Caught in a cyclone!)by GVK Featured 7,329,308
- 58:08 How to build a Nuclear Submarine (2010)by OuterSpaceCZ651,177 views
- 10:06 Horrible boat crashes #1by WorldCrashs756,443 views
- 4:38 Pirates pick on the wrong shipby The Independent2,739,998 views
- 2:35 1988 soviet ramming USS Yorktown CG 48 in black seaby Gunnermatecg48472,145 views
- 10:58 Tsunami - Caught On Camera - P1by John Daniel58,170,642 views
- 0:57 World's Largest Cruise Ship Sucks the Water off Fort Lauderdale Beachby gCaptainDOTcom2,225,312 views
- 5:29 Sub sinks a tug boat (there goes the mail)by Gene Small2,195,075 views
- 1:02 Somali Pirates attacking the wrong ship (French Navy ship lol)by Nitrateking2,124,687 views
- 1:29:59 21st Century Warship(full documentary)HDby Serious History24,232 views
- 1:29:59 Navy's Modern Warships (Full Documentary)by YouGuysHello1,021,919 views
- 44:23 Stealth : Documentary on Stealth technology from Aircraft to Warshipsby Bing Bang Ding Dong27,287 views
- 3:19 Sea Shepherd rammed by Canadian Coast Guard shipby TeamYankee260,934 views
- 2:31 Navy ship taking "evasive action"by indecorum3,408,553 views
- 10:01 LARGEST warship in the WORLD part 1by parkzonecorsairtips529,622 views
- 1:15 Pilot Loses Patience After Terror-Threat Delay at JFK Airportby ThePrincessHira1,504,806 views
- 2:16 LCS 2 USS Independence BAD ASS OF THE U.S. NAVY !!!by Extreme Weapons2,194,657 views
- 8:08 ★ TOP 15 BIGGEST WARSHIPS IN THE WORLD 2013 ★by SkypWarrior1,144,910 views
- 12:54 TOP 9 Ship Accidentsby bestTVvideo2,342,896 views
- 2:49 The sinking of USS CUSHING (DD 985)by Alex Maitre593,325 views
- Loading more suggestions...