- 1 Beethoven 3rd Symphony (1/5); 1st movement; Ber... by mahlerite
- 2 Beethoven 3rd Symphony (2/5); 1st-2nd movements... by mahlerite
- 3 Beethoven 3rd Symphony (3/5); 2nd movement; Ber... by mahlerite
- ▶ Beethoven 3rd Symphony (4/5); 2nd-4th movements... by mahlerite
- 5 Beethoven 3rd Symphony (5/5); 4th movement; Ber... by mahlerite
Beethoven 3rd Symphony (4/5); 2nd-4th movements; Bernstein
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 12, 2008
Ludwig van Beethoven
New York Philharmonic
In his late twenties, Beethoven started to hear buzzing and ringing sounds in his ears. A few years later in 1802, he wrote a distressed letter in a town near Vienna that was addressed to his brothers (yet it remained in his own possession until his death at age 57). The note discussed Beethoven's deteriorating hearing (he eventually went deaf), how it made him feel lonely and anxious around others, and it laid out a will such that his siblings would inherit his wealth when he died.
However, he also wrote in it, "I would have ended my life—it was only my art that held me back." Historians later dubbed this letter, the Heiligenstadt Testament, after the town in which it was written.
This triumph over personal adversity happened concurrently with a significant change in Beethoven's musical style. The works composed after his emotional breakdown in 1802 radiated a new boldness and intrepidity, which often broke the formal rules of the Classical era in music. In fact, the first musical ideas for his Third Symphony—which was completed in 1804—were jotted down merely a few weeks after the Heiligenstadt Testament. Putting these ideas into perspective, it is no wonder why Beethoven's Third Symphony is sometimes deemed a nexus between the Classical and Romantic musical periods.
The Third Symphony's nickname is Eroica, which is Italian for "heroic." Originally, Beethoven planned to call the work, Bonaparte, after Napoleon Bonaparte. But once he learned that Napoleon proclaimed himself the emperor of France, he crossed out the dedication and wrote on the title page, "Heroic Symphony composed to celebrate the memory of a great man."
There are a lot of syncopations (stresses at unexpected times) and dissonances (unstable tone combinations), and wider pitch (highness or lowness of sounds) ranges and dynamics (loudness or softness in sounds) and heavier uses of accents (emphases on notes), to name a few deviations from the Classical era's typical way of writing a symphony.
***The 3rd movement begins at 2:14***
***The 4th movement begins at 8:18***
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Symphony No. 3 in E-Flat Major, Op. 55 "Eroica": III. Scherzo. Allegro Vivace" on
Leonard Bernstein & New York Philharmonic
- 32 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 9:49 Beethoven 3rd Symphony (5/5); 4th movement; Bernsteinby David 83,280 views
- 10:00 Beethoven 3rd Symphony (3/5); 2nd movement; Bernsteinby mahlerite 143,872 views
- 59:44 Beethoven: Symphony No 3 in E flat major, 'Eroica' - BBC Proms 2012 (Daniel Barenboim)by MartialVidz 38,674 views
- 41:48 Beethoven - 7th Symphony (Complete) ♫*by obtica1 739,552 views
- 38:00 Beethoven Piano Concerto 5 completeby videomedia123's channel 351,747 views
- 69 videos Play all Beethoven Symphonyby 120125434
- 52:01 Beethoven Symphony no. 3 - Philippe Herrewegheby avroklassiek 443,352 views
- 10:00 Mahler 9th Symphony (5/9); 2nd-3rd movements; Bernsteinby mahlerite 18,403 views
- 51:16 Beethoven Symphony 3 - Full Length - Complete 3rd Symphony in HD - Eroica - Sydney Youth Orchestraby A World of Music... ♪♪♪ 43,433 views
- 36:31 Tomas Netopil - Beethoven 4th Symphonyby IAACartists 42,641 views
- 41:25 Zimerman -Beirnstein play Beethoven 5th concerto(complete)by Jean paul Regnier 468,649 views
- 15:22 © Symphony 3 Eroica 2nd movement Marcia funebre; Allegro Assai - DRSO - Fabio Luisiby Mugge62 15,198 views
- 14:03 Beethoven, Symphony 4/1, (B flat major, Op 60)by Dinu Lipatti 51,139 views
- 10:24 Beethoven 4th Symphony - 1st Movementby davidtaggoram 28,797 views
- 7:57 Beethoven: Symphony No 1: Movement 2by Classical Music 239,281 views
- 5:57 Beethoven: Symphony No. 3: THE 'EROICAby mastshke 944,728 views
- 11:00 L.V. Beethoven - Symphony No.3 E-flat major, Op.55 "Eroica" / Jordi Savallby protestant7 96,336 views
- 2:45 BEETHOVEN SYMPHONY No. 6by Rafone2008 1,104,234 views
- 23:49 Beethoven, Symphony 9, 4th movement (complete) Ode to Joy), Presto, Philharmonia Baroqueby smalin 522,617 views
- 5:52 Beethoven Sym.3 "Eroica" III. Scherzo Wiener KammerOrchesterby marlamuse 71,570 views
- 49:56 Beethoven: Symphony No.3 - Jansons/BRSO(2009Live)by magischmeisjeorkest 140,765 views
- Loading more suggestions...