TEDxOrangeCoast - Amy Purdy - Living Beyond Limits
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 8, 2011
Amy Purdy talks about the power of imagination. She explains how our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but by the choices we make. Imagination allows us to break down borders, to move beyond our circumstances, to create and constantly progress.
Amy Purdy has been through hardships that most of us will never face -- or can even fathom. But what makes her story so incredible is not that fact that she lived a "normal" childhood and spent her high school years as a passionate artist and snowboarder, then traumatically lost both her legs at age 19, but how she has persevered, taking implausible challenges and rising above them.
Today, Amy is an athlete; currently the top ranked adaptive female snowboarder in the world. Amy also spends a good amount of time helping others; specifically those with physical challenges get involved with snowboarding, skateboarding, wakeboarding and other action sports through the organization she co-founded Adaptive Action Sports. Challenging herself while making a positive impact on the world is a true testament to Amy's spirit.
TEDx was created in the spirit of TED's mission, "ideas worth spreading." The program is designed to give communities, organizations and individuals the opportunity to stimulate dialogue through TED-like experiences at the local level.
At TEDx events, a screening of TEDTalks videos -- or a combination of live presenters and TEDTalks videos -- sparks deep conversation and connections. TEDx events are fully planned and coordinated independently, on a community-by-community basis.
Standard YouTube License
- 13:21 TEDxRyersonU - Dr. Ivan Joseph - The Skill of Self Confidenceby TEDxTalks 128,386 views
- 7:38 TEDxTeen - Tavi Gevinson: Still Figuring it Outby TEDxTalks 490,032 views
- 18:35 Multiplaner: Jak zamienic slabosc w biznes : Rafal Mirkowski at TEDxWSBby TEDxTalks 15,203 views
- 12:24 TEDxBoulder - Peter McGraw - What Makes Things Funnyby TEDxTalks 39,854 views
- 19:10 TEDxOrangeCoast - Daniel Amen - Change Your Brain, Change Your Lifeby TEDxTalks 127,406 views
- 17:57 How To Find And Do Work You Love: Scott Dinsmore at TEDxGoldenGatePark (2D)by TEDxTalks 400,841 views
- 16:41 TEDxFiDiWomen - Gabrielle Bernstein - How To Be A Miracle Workerby TEDxTalks 127,190 views
- 19:20 TEDxAsheville - Adam Baker - Sell your crap. Pay your debt. Do what you love.by TEDxTalks 238,653 views
- 9:41 Deepak Chopra - Human Energy Human Power - TEDxSanMigueldeAllendeby TEDxTalks 36,906 views
- 19:45 TEDxFiDiWomen - Ingrid Vanderveldt - Art of Making Impossible, Possibleby TEDxTalks 24,082 views
- 14:14 TEDxVancouver - Shahrzad Rafati - You are what you watchby TEDxTalks 72,638 views
- 18:00 TEDxFiDiWomen - Alisa Vitti - Loving Your Lady Parts as a Path to Success, Power & Global Changeby TEDxTalks 118,115 views
- 18:48 TEDxWarwick - David MacKay - How the Laws of Physics Constrain Our Sustainable Energy Optionsby TEDxTalks 38,722 views
- 13:53 One Of The Most Remarkable People In The World : Raghava KK at TEDxGatewayby TEDxTalks 25,692 views
- 13:01 TEDxYYC - David Damberger - Learning from Failureby TEDxTalks 75,930 views
- 12:31 TEDxPhnomPenh - Colin Wright - Extreme Lifestyle Experimentsby TEDxTalks 39,465 views
- 18:11 Forget What You Know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeenby TEDxTalks 1,039,023 views
- 9:25 TEDxOrangeCoast - Shelene Bryan - Become Uncomfortable to Innovateby TEDxTalks 7,094 views
- 19:31 How Will You Measure Your Life? Clay Christensen at TEDxBostonby TEDxTalks 123,007 views
- 22:16 The Art of Stress-Free Productivity: David Allen at TEDxClaremontCollegesby TEDxTalks 100,685 views