Cartography "Caught Mapping" 1940 General Motors 9min
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 12, 2012
more at http://search.quickfound.net/map_sear...
"How road maps are drawn, field-checked and printed."
Public domain film from the Library of Congress Prelinger Archive, slightly cropped to remove uneven edges, with the aspect ratio corrected, and mild video noise reduction applied.
The soundtrack was also processed with volume normalization, noise reduction, clipping reduction, and equalization.
...In cartography, technology has continually changed in order to meet the demands of new generations of mapmakers and map users. The first maps were manually constructed with brushes and parchment; therefore, varied in quality and were limited in distribution. The advent of magnetic devices, such as the compass and much later, magnetic storage devices, allowed for the creation of far more accurate maps and the ability to store and manipulate them digitally.
Advances in mechanical devices such as the printing press, quadrant and vernier, allowed for the mass production of maps and the ability to make accurate reproductions from more accurate data. Optical technology, such as the telescope, sextant and other devices that use telescopes, allowed for accurate surveying of land and the ability of mapmakers and navigators to find their latitude by measuring angles to the North Star at night or the sun at noon.
Advances in photochemical technology, such as the lithographic and photochemical processes, have allowed for the creation of maps that have fine details, do not distort in shape and resist moisture and wear. This also eliminated the need for engraving, which further shortened the time it takes to make and reproduce maps.
Advances in electronic technology in the 20th century ushered in another revolution in cartography. Ready availability of computers and peripherals such as monitors, plotters, printers, scanners (remote and document) and analytic stereo plotters, along with computer programs for visualization, image processing, spatial analysis, and database management, have democratized and greatly expanded the making of maps. The ability to superimpose spatially located variables onto existing maps created new uses for maps and new industries to explore and exploit these potentials. See also: digital raster graphic.
These days most commercial-quality maps are made using software that falls into one of three main types: CAD, GIS and specialized illustration software. Spatial information can be stored in a database, from which it can be extracted on demand. These tools lead to increasingly dynamic, interactive maps that can be manipulated digitally.
With the field rugged computers, GPS and laser rangefinders, it is possible to perform mapping directly in the terrain. Construction of a map in real time, for example by using Field-Map technology, improves productivity and quality of the result...
Standard YouTube License
- 13:57 Cartography: "The Mapmaking Process" pt1-3 1973 US Armyby Jeff QuitneyFeatured 4,402
- 14:54 Basic Map Reading: Direction, Orientation, And Location With A Compass pt1-2 1966 US Army 15minby Jeff Quitney 55,883 views
- 9:41 Cartography: "The Mapmaking Process" pt3-3 1973 US Armyby Jeff Quitney 1,049 views
- 13:14 Map Symbols pt1-2 1966 US Army Training Filmby Jeff Quitney 736 views
- 28:17 Big Picture: Mapping Adventureby PublicResourceOrg 754 views
- 2:05 How To Navigate With a Compassby Howcast 69,797 views
- 10:46 Toponymy in cartographyby cartograficcat 622 views
- 3:25 History 95N: Mapping the World: Cartography and the Modern Imaginationby StanfordIntroStudies 1,165 views
- 11:36 Stock Market: "What Makes Us Tick" 1952 New York Stock Exchange 12minby Jeff Quitney 1,428 views
- 13:16 Cartography: "The Mapmaking Process" pt2-3 1973 US Armyby Jeff Quitney 893 views
- 13:53 PROJEÇÕES CARTOGRÁFICASby nobelexplica 22,823 views
- 34:31 Cheap G Scale Train System & Garden Railway Set Up - Newqida LGB Cloneby leokimvideo 673,268 views
- 6:45 Cartografíaby bibliotecaBNE 44,036 views
- 4:39 sextant video 07sep09 1by tonypalenzuela 21,532 views
- 8:21 TESIS - CARTOGRAFÍA Y MAPASby cedecom 8,429 views
- 2:10 Ada Cheung: Cartographerby Techsploration 498 views
- 8:27 Nautical Charts: "Reading Charts" 1999 US Navy Navigation Trainingby Jeff Quitney 7,020 views
- 9:49 NHD Documentary - Captivating Cartography - The Innovation of G.I.S.by zirconia234 4,735 views
- 14:14 Topographic Maps: "Grid Distance and Elevation" pt1-2 1966 US Army Training Filmby Jeff Quitney 2,823 views
- 8:29 Jacky Chalard - Superman Supercoolby dijf1985 13,253 views
- Loading more suggestions...