TEDxUW - Krister Shalm - The poetry of physics, dancing and life
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 7, 2012
An experimental physicist by profession, Krister is interested in unlocking everyday applications for quantum physics.
His challenge? To demonstrate that technologies based on the science of quantum physics have the potential to unleash the next technological revolution. And if that wasn't enough, take into account that this is all from a person who's well-known for dancing his PhD thesis and hosting "The Quantum Physics of Harry Potter".
Yes, Krister is a gifted presenter and a talented performer, and with his near god-like ability to explain the complex minutae of quantum mechanics in layman's terms, Krister also happens to be a local hero.
A Junior Fellow of the Canadian Institute For Advanced Research (CIFAR) working in the Institute for Quantum Computing (IQC) at the University of Waterloo, Krister is studying the quantum world in order to develop the technologies of tomorrow. While quantum mechanics can seem mind boggling, Krister has teamed up with a magician, musicians, entertainers, and dancers to make quantum concepts more approachable. He is known for his ability to explain complex ideas in clear, simple, terms, and for his creativity in engaging the public with science. In his spare time, Krister is an avid swing dancer, and can be found dancing up a storm to the tunes of the twenties, thirties and forties. His research has been published in top journals like Science and Nature, and he has been featured in the media on CBC's "Quirks & Quarks," the BBC, and New Scientist.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)
Standard YouTube License
Next in TEDxUW 2011
- 15:48 TEDxBoulder - Thad Roberts - Visualizing Eleven Dimensionsby TEDxTalks104,734 views
- 17:06 TEDxBlackRockCity - Shiva Rea - Tending the Sacred Fireby TEDxTalks56,928 views
- 17:56 TEDxWaterloo - Krister Shalm - Magic, Dance and Quantum Physicsby TEDxTalks12,857 views
- 16:54 TEDxUW - Raynold Alorse - Harnessing the power of decisionsby TEDxTalks4,985 views
- 17:16 TEDxSanJoseCA - Salman Khan - Providing a Free World Class Education Through Videoby TEDxTalks14,907 views
- 15:27 TEDxUW - John Baker - Why we need to unleash the next big education revolutionby TEDxTalks4,622 views
- 18:11 Forget what you know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeenby TEDxTalks2,343,503 views
- 11:36 TEDxUW - Chelsea Prescod - How to get your heart out of a boxby TEDxTalks44,305 views
- 17:05 TEDxUW - Philip Beesley - Building living architectureby TEDxTalks3,657 views
- 9:31 TEDxCaltech - Zvi Bern - Feynman Diagrams: Past, Present, Futureby TEDxTalks24,247 views
- 17:57 Turning Fear Into Fuel: Jonathan Fields at TEDxCMU 2010by TEDxTalks191,719 views
- 12:24 TEDxBoulder - Peter McGraw - What Makes Things Funnyby TEDxTalks97,133 views
- 10:21 TEDx Brussels 2010 - Stuart Hameroff - Do we have a quantum Soul?by TEDxTalks42,686 views
- 16:51 TEDxObserver - Peter Lovatt - Psychologist and dancerby TEDxTalks5,597 views
- 16:06 Cosmology and the arrow of time: Sean Carroll at TEDxCaltechby TEDxTalks60,882 views
- 15:11 Pioneering the new renaissance through movement: Wren LaFeet at TEDxBendby TEDxTalks7,609 views
- 16:04 TEDxUW - Safwan Choudhury - How to build a thought-controlled wheelchairby TEDxTalks2,125 views
- 3:51 TEDxCaltech - Adam Cochran - The Electronic "Feynman Lectures on Physics"by TEDxTalks17,666 views
- 16:36 TEDxWaterloo - Michael Nielsen - Open Scienceby TEDxTalks55,256 views