Motor Powered 3D Printed '28 Geared Cube' - Printed Fully Assembled
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 31, 2013
Available to buy here: http://shpws.me/nA3n
I have now made the '28-Geared Cube' autonomous using a 6 volt battery, 6 volt geared motor, reed switch and small magnet, small length of stiff wire, piece of fibreglass sheet, some Kevlar thread, a couple of washers and some electrical wire.
When the small magnet is placed near the reed switch, the motor starts which rotates just 1 gear which rotates all 28 gears.
This design is a proof of concept and test of 3D printing's ability to print complex mechanical objects in 1 print with no assembly required (what you see is how it left the 3D printer, with all the mechanical parts working as one piece) by printing a complex cube housing 28 gears - this is explained further down in the discription.
This design was 3D printed by Shapeways.com in the 'White Strong and Flexible' material and you can purchase a copy that Shapeways will 3d print and deliver to you worldwide here: http://shpws.me/nA3n
This is a steampunk themed desk toy consisting of a cube with 28 gears, all of which rotate in a mesmorising pattern by just rotating one of the gears. In the middle of the cube is a tray that can be used to hold paperclips and other small things. This object is 3D printed as one piece, already fully assembled when it leaves the 3D printer!
The design also comes with a stand so it can stand up on a desk and a lockable lid which is placed on the top of the cube and is locked and unlocked by rotating the gears (the lid locks at the centers of all 4 sides below the gears in the lid). Interchangeable mechanical add-ons may be designed in the future that can be put in place of this lid and driven by the rest of the cogs.
How it works...
This design consists of a cube with 28 gears, on each of 4 sides of the cube are 7 gears: 2 large outer ones that move in opposite directions, the outermost gear has handles on it so it can be easily rotated, the motion between the 2 large cogs is reversed due to 5 smaller gears set within the cube in a similar layout to a planetary gearbox to reverse the gear's direction on each of these 4 faces. Each of these sets of gears on the 4 faces are all liked through the big gear on each of the 4 faces meshing at 90 degrees with the big gear on each of the 2 neighboring sides. This means that if any one gear is spun, they all spin in a memorizing pattern.
A copy can be purchased here: http://shpws.me/nA3n
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Sail" on
- 11:41 Printing LEGO Compatible Building Bricks & Blocks on Ultimaker 3D Printer in PLA Plasticby Barnacules Nerdgasm Featured 90,030
- 45:03 Greatest Mysteries of WWII: Hitler's Stealth Fighter (720P)by SUPERIOR HISTORY5,697,138 views
- 10:42 3D Printed Motor Runs on Almost Nothing! Afinia 3D Printerby lasersaber25,586 views
- 5:49 Awesome $300 3D Printer from PrintRBot Maker Faire 2013by Tekzilla49,793 views
- 7:49 I 3D Printed a Gunby Mashable423,399 views
- 5:46 Triple gearby Henry Segerman144,441 views
- 4:07 Centrifugal Puzzle Boxby Alexander Maund11,818 views
- 1:18 Jet Engine made on a 3D Printerby Gerry Hamilton388,808 views
- 20 videos Play all 3D Printingby allanonmage
- 13:18 Jay Leno's Garage: 1931 Henderson KJ Police Specialby JayLenosGarage134,786 views
- 17:34 HoJo Permanent Magnet Motorby Nik C. Colyer144,838 views
- 13:50 3D Printing: Make anything you wantby 16x9onglobal1,086,401 views
- 5:01 3D metal printingby imaterialise2,858,973 views
- 5:08 New Split Cycle Engine Concept: The Doyle Rotary Engineby Adam Doyle466,229 views
- 4:38 The impossible 3D Print v2by 3dprintingsystems746,272 views
- 3:02 RepRap 3d Printer ABS Gears VS PLA Gears for Extrudersby Vision3dPrinter26,201 views
- 6:27 Statial Mouse - Assembly Videoby Chazzy Pyott23,817 views
- 2:10 3d Printed Planetary Gears Version 2.5by BackyardWorkshop46,442 views
- 4:39 3D Printshow London 2012by ExplainingTheFuture1,178,296 views
- 2:20 3D Printed Automatic Transmission Modelby Emmett Lalish96,469 views