Obama's Poker Strategy
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 8, 2010
New TYT Network channels: http://www.youtube.com/user/tytsports
New TYT Facebook Page(!): http://www.facebook.com/tytnation
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/theyoungturks
FREE Movies(!): http://www.netflix.com/tyt
Note: The above two links are for TYT sponsors.
Read Ana's blog and subscribe at:
TYT Network (new WTF?! channel): http://www.youtube.com/user/whatthefl...
Check Out TYT Interviews http://www.youtube.com
I had the odd experience of playing craps for several hours with John McCain, during the run-up to his 2008 presidential campaign. The qualities I saw—thousands of dollars in chips manically thrown onto the felt in hope that lady luck would bless them—did not portend presidential greatness. Barack Obama's gambling preference, poker, has far stronger provenance, with decisive presidents like Jackson and Truman and Teddy Roosevelt lauding its strategic virtues.
That makes the unilateral and one-sided concessions Obama has increasingly been making—most notably this week's tax deal, but also last month's unilateral federal wage freeze and a half-dozen earlier unreciprocated health-care and fiscal concessions—all the more baffling. As any serious player can explain, poker has nothing to do with cards (a three-year-old can memorize the rote full house-beats-flush-beats-straight rules) and everything to do with reading people and displaying strength in order to compel a desired outcome.
So how did our poker-playing president, who once self-rated his skills as "pretty good," so quickly gain a reputation as a pushover, notably among members of his own party? Perhaps it's better to examine that question in reverse: Could Obama's poker habits have predicted his negotiating style?
"A very cautious player," says Illinois state Senator Terry Link, who between 1997 and 2004 hosted a weekly game with Obama and other lawmakers at his house on Seventh Street in Springfield. "Very cautious in the sense that he didn't just throw his money away. He played the odds. He didn't play for the inside straight."
"Barack was a very good, very conservative poker player," adds Larry Walsh, now the executive of Will County, outside Chicago. "He held his cards close to his vest. Very rarely did you find Barack Obama being caught by surprise."
Their Wednesday game had a codename, "the committee meeting" ("people would come up and say, 'Is there a committee meeting tonight?'," remembers Walsh ), and it became so popular among Democrats, Republicans and lobbyists alike that two tables were sometimes required. The game started at a local country club, moved to Link's living room, and then finally to his basement, which Link transformed into a full-blown poker den, complete with vents to accommodate all the cigarette and cigar smoking. ("I refuse to answer that question," he chuckles, when asking about Obama's puffing habits, "because I know Michelle too well.")
Standard YouTube License
- 6:19 Obama's Terrible Tax Cut Dealby The Young Turks Featured 47,267
- 7:35 Country With The Best Schools?by The Young Turks146,495 views
- 6:57 Obama Set Up Social Security Cutsby The Young Turks20,408 views
- 6:13 Anonymous Strikes Back for WikiLeaks! (Operation Payback)by The Young Turks127,238 views
- 3:07 Obama Invested In Defending GOPby The Young Turks19,260 views
- 43:12 HIGH STAKES POKER Episode 11by GSNVideos475,025 views
- 51:20 Crush Live Poker by Bart Hanson. Live Training Video.by Bart Hanson27,517 views
- 2:14 Negreanu Poker Strategy: Two Big Tournament Errorsby ThePokerWizards62,002 views
- 25:15 Water Boat Online Pro Poker Strategy (#21): Inducing Misclicksby gder0173,709 views
- 9:46 Ultra Turbo Sit and Go Poker Strategy -- Part 1 of 3by KickerPlays30,036 views
- 8:38 NLH Poker Vol2 Advanced Strategies With Gus Hansen Part 1by ThePokerSpot362,995 views
- 9:37 "Jonathan Little" Poker Tournament Strategy - Middle Pairsby Marty Smith14,558 views
- 34:45 How to Win at Poker - The Preflop Checklistby gripsed36,238 views
- 6:53 Poker Strategy Tips: Beating Loose Passive Playersby PokerListings55,565 views
- 43:01 HIGH STAKES POKER Episode 8by GSNVideos1,459,560 views
- 3:32 Poker Strategy - Q&A with Daniel Negreanu - How do you put players on specific handsby mastersseriesofpoker120,224 views
- 48:45 PCA 2013 - $100k Super High Roller, Episode 1 - PokerStars.comby Pokerstars438,220 views
- 4:33 Phil Ivey On Poker Strategyby TheCasinoGuru209,212 views
- 25:01 Advanced Poker Coaching: Concepts to Crush SSNL [Part 1]by PokerVIP27,330 views
- 8:53 Obama Defends Republicans?by The Young Turks35,116 views
- Loading more suggestions...