Vanuatu Land Divers - Naghol / N'Gol
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 2, 2006
Vanuatu Land Diving - NGOL
Before bungee jumping, there was ....
.... this bizarre spectacle, which is called Naghol or N'Gol.
It began on Pentecost Island in Vanuatu (New Hebrides) many centuries, perhaps millennia ago, when a beaten woman ran away from her husband, Tamale. He found her hiding in a tall tree and called to her that if she came down he might beat her - but only a little. However if he had to get her she would be sorry. She refused. He climbed the tree and as he made his final grab, she leaped. In anguish at her death (or anger that he had missed her) Tamale jumped after her, not realising his wife had tied liana vines around her ankles and survived the fall.
Tamale perished. The ritual evolved over the years, to stripping a tall tree of it's surrounding branches and building a tower of sticks to support the trunk. The platform is made of wood and covered with leaves purposely to protect the platform from the sun drying it out before the ceremony. The leaves are removed by the jumpers before the jump. The liana vines which are tied to the ankel and slightly elastic following the wet season, are shredded and the other end tied to the tower. Men and boys, some as young as seven years, climb the tower and leap from the platforms in a show of strength, and a statement to women that they can never be tricked again....
It is also a fertility rite. Every year in April, when the first yam crop is ready, the islanders on the south of the island start building a huge tower for the land diving. It will take about 5 weeks to build, all materials come from the forest: lianas, branches, trunks. Eventually a wooden tower between 30 to 40 meters high is erected. Each diver must select his own vine. Its size is of utmost importance and if it is only 10 cm too long, the diver will hit the ground and break his neck. As the vines stretch at the end of the dive, the land diver's heads curl under and their shoulders touch the earth, making it fertile for the following year's yam crop.
The ritual is followed with a celebration of Kava, Tuluk, and Laplap. Yum Yum !!
••••••••••••••••••••••• ► Aditional Key Words ◄ •••••••••••••••••••••••
VANUATU VANUATU VANUATU VANUATU VANUATU
death bungee jump dive Vanuatu land vine national geographic nationalgeographic farmeroak oak farmer dying extreme africa african tribes jump crash suicide tribe dangerous moments accident vanuatu vanua fiji solomons tuvalu PNG Papua New Guinea China Russia CCCP USA UK United States of America United Kingdom Paradise Tropical Island Beach Sun Surf Sand China Sino Chinese Olympics Hong Kong Taiwan Tibet New Caledonia Hawaii Tonga Bora Hideaway Hat Lelela Survivor Erakor lepela Port Vila Lini BunLap Bun Lap Pentecost Volcano Eruption Vanuatu Tanna magma Erupt ignite learning ignitelearning science volcanic volcano eruption lava pressure magma gases equilibrium Kilauea Volcano Eruption Mauna Loa koh lanta vanuatu sexy nude pikachu bikini girl weather rules brisbane supanova culture adventure events travel documentary australia overlander.tv mark shea backpacker australia land down under aussie vegemite men at work Japan China Russia Olympic Olympics Relay Run Torch Boycott Opening ceremony Tibet Human Rights Africa Asia America South America Europe Survivor Series Jeff Probst Winner Au Bon Marche Numbatu Numbawan Olympic Burger Tropical Island Paradise beach Nouvelle Caledonie Atol South Pacific Tok Tok Vanuatu Tourist Office VTO TOK TOK Underwater Post Office VANUATU VANUATU VANUATU VANUATU VANUATU VANUATU VANUATU VANUATU Vanuatu vanuatu VANUATU
Standard YouTube License
- 2:56 10 Bizarre Ways To 'Become A Man'by Alltime10s Featured 451,063
- 2:08:09 Koh Lanta Vanuatu S06E04by Abdel Myra5,060 views
- 9:47 CRAZY BUNGEE JUMP!by BFvsGF549,347 views
- 1:37:57 Efren Reyes vs Niels Feijen - FINALS Tokyo Open 9-ball 2001by Bilijar9183,835 views
- 10 videos Play all Adventures in Vanuatuby dragonproject
- 14:26 Waiting For Philip - Vanuatuby Journeyman Pictures21,280 views
- 46:43 Girls Bungee Jumping at The Mall - Baby Swimming and Having Fun - Reality Video week 16by all4tubekids935,549 views
- 15:48 The corruption depriving Vanuatu islanders of their tourist dollarsby Journeyman Pictures5,873 views
- 25:44 Saving Nemo - Vanuatuby Journeyman Pictures53,987 views
- 9:43 Meet The Natives 01by VanuatuVeritas122,673 views
- 5:03 Karl's land dive and phone conversation with Rickyby roundheadedmanc56,019 views
- 8:44 Extreme Saltwater Fishing!by BlacktipH7,384,746 views
- 3:31 Bungee Jumping at Victoria Falls Pt 1by leeoconnerellipse732,051 views
- 5:36 Nevis Bungy Jump - SCAREDby kixande8,654,831 views
- 8:30 Vanuatuby Journeyman Pictures20,018 views
- 5:33 Frog Poison Trialby bunglezip331,629 views
- 18:46 Vanuatu Land Boom - Vanuatuby Journeyman Pictures4,905 views
- 8:13 An Idiot Abroad 2: Episode 1: Desert Island: The Best Bitsby skyonezone270,829 views
- 13:00 J'irai dormir chez vous Vanuatu 1by Yanniz9417,038 views
- 4:26 A Day in Port Vila, Vanuatuby Gary Burgess10,939 views